Correspondent
lindajm22
0 Kudos

Two GlowLights - amazing difference between them

[ Edited ]

I had to return my original GlowLight because of a tiny bright spot on the screen.  My replacement came yesterday, brand new, still sealed in the plastic.  I was very happy to finally have it as I had to wait several weeks for it to become available.

I turned it on, registered it and started reading.  First thing I notice is that the text seems to be more crisp than my original GlowLight, but I thought it was just my imagination.  So I turned on my original that I haven't sent back yet and my goodness, the difference in the text looking at them side by side was so obvious.  And just so there is no confusion, I am not talking about the original NST.  I am actually comparing two NST GlowLights.  Even the light is whiter on the replacement looking at them together.

Now I understand why there is such disparity of opinions amongst those here who have tried the GlowLight and were either disappointed with the darkness or crispness of the text, and those who could not see the difference between the GlowLight and the original NST.  I have seen with my own eyes that each GlowLight unit is actually different in that respect!  Honestly, I can't even tell you how different they are sitting next to each other, and they are the same exact model. I have to say, I am now glad that my original GlowLight was defective because now I have a new GlowLight and the text is much better.

Frequent Contributor
Loyd
0 Kudos

Re: Two GlowLights - amazing difference between them

I saw something like that on a display model in the B&N store the first day they had any to display. Its screen was a tiny bit rough to the touch. When my own NookG arrived the screen was "smooth as glass" and the text was as sharp as my old Nook with the light turned off and, of course, very sharp and clear with the light on. I wondered if the manufacturer got the glass on upsidedown on some of the early production runs. Can you tell any difference in the surface of the two Nook's screens? Just curious.

Contributor
mhodgin
0 Kudos

Is this really true?  The Glowlight is now different than the first shipped units?  I love the Glowlight, but I've always felt the lower contrast of the unit comparing to the original touch to be a trade off...

Does anyone have any confirmation of this?  Should I go to the B&N store and check out the Glowlight units on display?

I talked to a Nook expert at the local B&N over the phone, and also talked with a B&N tech support representative on a separate phone call, and they admitted the lower contrast on the Glowlight, but said there was nothing that could be done.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

This is curious.

When my store first got the display Glows in, I went to see them.  The texture, mentioned in all the pre-release reviews, was definitely there.  And the contrast difference was definitely there, and the same across all three of their Glow display units.

I don't think the manufacturer put the screens on backwards.  B&N had plenty of time from when the pre-release units went to reviewers and when they started shipping to the public to fix an issue like that.

I wonder if they've changed the screen to resolve the issues that people are seeing with scratches creating light hot spots.  It wouldn't surprise me - they made some mods to the N1E soon after release (the first N1Es shipped in late November, and by the time I got mine in January they'd already switched over to an "updated" hardware model).

Correspondent
lindajm22
0 Kudos

I don't think I'm noticing a difference in the texture at all, but the difference in the contrast is quite noticable, as well as the whiteness of the light.  The newer one is definitely whiter than my pre-released order.
The contrast on this newer one, to me, looks no different than my original NST, which I also considered to be a mild trade off for the light feature.  I've done comparisons in bright daylight as well as in the dark.  The difference is impossible to miss in my opinion.  I am wondering the same thing about whether they did indeed make a change to the screens and perhaps that is why there was such a delay in getting stock to the stores after the pre-ordered ones were delivered.

I am so happy because now I have NO trade off :smileyhappy:

roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I took a photo of the display on my first glowworm - it was very unevenly illuminated and looked 'cloudy' over around the lower 1/3 of the screen.  

I returned it for a different unit which is better, although not perfect - if the process continues to get better and better, it suggests that the application process is being improved.  Which is not great for the early adopter set, and one wonders what BN will do about the very earliest models or if there will continue to be run-to-run variability.  

A lot of these devices are assembled, at the last stages, manually.  If the screen cover is not laid down as the screens are manufactured but placed onto the screen during final assembly - well, anyone who's tried to put a screen protector onto a device knows that that's a process prone to, ahem, variation.   

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
keriflur
0 Kudos

Is the screen protector actually a screen protector (i.e. sticky piece of plastic)?  I was under the the impression that it was actually a hard piece (the "screen" that you're actually touching) with a slim amount of space btw it and the actual screen that functioned as a light guide.

roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hmmmm...  Ifixit tore one apart: 

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nook-Simple-Touch-with-GlowLight-Teardown/9301/3

They're reporting that the screen contains a glass plate and the glass has a diffraction grating to disperse the light.

If that's true, that might explain why the protector was added - I don't know that the NST had a glass component, but a glass component with a diffraction grating is going to be extremely sensitive to breaks and cracks dramatically changing the way the light is distributed. 

I actually hope that rather than glass, BN used a rigid plastic.  I'm not able to find an equivalent teardown for the regular NST and was blissfully unaware that glass was part of e-ink screens;  I'd thought they were plastic.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Correspondent
MusicmanGG
0 Kudos

I just got my Glowlight and find the contrast of the text between it and my NST to be minor.  It seems when I looked at the demos in the store there was a greater difference, so maybe this batch has been refined somewhat.

I have notice a little uneven lighting of the screeen (I the glowlight on a low setting if that matters), but all in all I like it.   I find it easier on my eyes when reading in the dark than my nook color.  

I have not notice any spots on the screen as some have reported, but I think I will hold on to my NST for a while just in case.

Reader 4
pamd312
0 Kudos

I got my Glowlight from Best Buy last Friday.  My screen is smooth to the touch, and there is no noticeable difference between the contrast on my GL and my NST.  I also cannot feel/see any sort of "screen protector".  I played with a GL in a B&N store several weeks ago, and I remember the screen feeling a little rough.

Frequent Contributor
JohnnyB54

I'll just put my two cents worth in. I had my Nook Glowlight that I purchased from a local B&N store for 13 days. During that time I was not really thrilled with the contrast as compared to my 1st gen Nook and my Nook simple Touch. I really had no complaint as I had no trouble reading the Glowlight (Glowlight on and off) but the contrast just wasn't the same. I tried to pick another Nook glow from the same B&N store but they are still selling to preorder customers. I tried a local Best Buy and they did have the Nook Glowlight. I came home and loaded the book that I am currently reading on the new device. The difference between the two devices was stiking. The new Nook has a much lighter background making the text pop as compared to my original Nook Glowlight. Since I was still in the return period for B&N I went to the store and I brought my Nook as well as the one I wanted to return with me. When the Nook rep asked what was wrong with the device I explained to him about the difference in background and text.He looked at me and said that could not be and I must have been looking at the devices under different sources. As I was expecting this sort of nonsence I pulled out my new Glowlight and showed him the same book with the same page on both devices. The sales rep fully agreed with me and then proceeded to look at the demo Nooks. Hands down my new Glowlight had a brighter background and darker text then all the demo units. I'm not sure what was changed between the time I purchased my 1st Glowlight and the new one but whatever changed was for the better. The software versions on both Glowlights are the same ver. 1.1.5

Remember Google is your friend.
Correspondent
Marty-TX
0 Kudos

JohnnyB54 wrote:

He looked at me and said that could not be and I must have been looking at the devices under different sources. As I was expecting this sort of nonsence I pulled out my new Glowlight and showed him the same book with the same page on both devices. The sales rep fully agreed with me and then proceeded to look at the demo Nooks. Hands down my new Glowlight had a brighter background and darker text then all the demo units.

Returning a Glowlight ... $140.  Look on salesman's face ... priceless!   Good job! :smileyvery-happy:

keriflur
0 Kudos

I expect B&N will never acknowledge the difference, as if they did everyone who bought a glowlight would be back in the store asking for a new one, regardless of whether they were still in their return period (and IMO they would be in the right to demand reparations).  But if I owned one, I'd definitely be returning/exchanging it.

Correspondent
lindajm22
0 Kudos

I can't tell you how glad I am that I had to replace my original glowlight.  Seems I am not the only one who is noticing the difference.  They MUST have made a change since they started production. 

Correspondent
katworley
0 Kudos

Yep- I had exactly the same experience... my original NG had to be returned because of a bright spot on the screen, and the replacement has a higher contrast and crisper text. I noticed it as soon as I turned it on. The glow is also more even over the screen; the old one had some light and dark variation at the top of the screen. I did the replacement through the telephone support line and the person I talked to asked a couple of questions and sent it through. All pretty painless and I definitely ended up with a better reader.

History: Special people, in special places, at special times
Anthropology: everyone else the rest of the time...
Inspired Wordsmith
LM44
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Quote Loyd:

"When my own NookG arrived the screen was "smooth as glass" and the text was as sharp as my old Nook with the light turned off and, of course, very sharp and clear with the light on. I wondered if the manufacturer got the glass on upsidedown on some of the early production runs. Can you tell any difference in the surface of the two Nook's screens? Just curious."

Quote JohnnyB54:

I'm not sure what was changed between the time I purchased my 1st Glowlight and the new one but whatever changed was for the better.

Just wandering if B&N did away with the anti-glare screen protector.

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Huh.   When I got the Nook Glow (from first shipment of them)  I returned it becuase I found it disappointing as far as the crispness of the text compared to my Nook Simple, now i'm wondering if I should try another unit.  Also on the first there was a roughness to the screen due to the screen protector,  mild but there.

Contributor
mhodgin
0 Kudos

Has anyone else noticed if there has really been a change in the quality of the NST Glowlight models since the beginning?  I got one of the first Glowlights off the assembly line, and love the lighting capability, but have always noticed the less than crisp contrast as compared to the NST without glowlight.

I looked at Best Buy, but they only had a Glowlight model, and no NST without Glowlight to compare against, but I really couldn't see that there had been any change to the Glowlight model.

I read all the time on the Nook, and I would rather have the updated version if there is such a thing.  I find myself using the original Nook for daytime reading, and using the Glowlight for night time reading.  This was not my original plan as I was hoping to let the original NST go to a sibling to enjoy.

Anybody have any real information on this?

Contributor
drew0020
0 Kudos

The first glowlight I purchased was terrible (very poor contrast compared to the original Simple Touch).  I decided to try a month later and purchased 2 glowlights- One at Best Buy and the other at Target. 

The Best Buy model looked exactly like the original I received from B&N.  The Target model looked very close to my Simple Touch without glowlight.  The contrast ratio was a little less, but I could live with this.  The difference between the glowlights was truly night and day though.

Funny thing is the Best Buy serial number was higher than the Target serial number if that meant anything.

Contributor
3tzmom
0 Kudos

The biggest problem th the nook glow is the screen is very fragile.  A month after I got my Glow there was a bright spot that appeared, which is basically a small crack or break.  B and N replaced it free of charge, but two weeks later my new Glow has an even larger bright spot. They are sending me yet another glow as a replacement.  I am very disappointed that it would be so sensitive and fragile.  I have owned the first nook and the nook tablet with no issues.  Love reading at night, but hate the fragile screen.