Inspired Correspondent
SuperC142

Two More Cents

I received my new GlowLight NST (hereinafterGL) today and I felt the need to toss my two cents in on the contrast debate.  I've read a full spectrum of opinions on how noticeable/important the reduction in clarity and/or contrast is in the GL.

I wouldn't say any of the opinions I've read are wrong, but based on a few of the comments, I was becoming quite concerned that the clarity degradation would be a substantial tradeoff to having the light (which I think most people agree is pretty great).  I just received mine today though, and I must say: I'm very relieved!  I've already sold my original NST on ebay, so I can't do a side-by-side comparison, but I do still have my 2+ year-old N1E and I must say that the GL has a higher contrast than that; the background is noticeably whiter than on the N1E.  For me, the clarity continues to be fantastic; I was expecting much worse and having the light more than makes up for any reduction in clarity/contrast (which I think is negligible).  Also, based on some comments I had read, I was prepared for a near sand-papery like feel to the more textured screen, but I find it to be only slightly more textured (in fact, I quite like it; it feels more like paper).

So, as I said, I don't think any of the opinions here are wrong; it's just that this has turned out to be more subjective that I would have first thought.  If you're reading all of this and are confused about whether or not there's an unacceptable degradation in clarity/contrast, I think it's simply going to take seeing one in person to make up your mind!

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

Re: Two More Cents

I spent some time with two units side-by-side last night, and if either had been handed to me without the distinctive case, I would have been hard pressed to tell them apart with the glow light off. Flipping around between them, I didn't even notice a real difference in screen texture, though perhaps if I'd been focused on it, I would have.

With the light on in a lit room, the contrast does seem diminished, though it might help in mixed light (e.g. riding a train through tree-lined areas).

I'd suggest experiencing it as a blind test, as much as possible. Walk up, focus only on the screen and see if you can really tell a difference.

keriflur
0 Kudos

SuperC142 wrote:
Also, based on some comments I had read, I was prepared for a near sand-papery like feel to the more textured screen, but I find it to be only slightly more textured (in fact, I quite like it; it feels more like paper).

So, as I said, I don't think any of the opinions here are wrong; it's just that this has turned out to be more subjective that I would have first thought.

I just posted on this in another thread, so I won't repost all the same stuff again, but in short, I agree that it's very subjective.  I could only tell the contrast difference btw the two devices when they were side-by-side, and while I could tell, the difference wasn't enough to bother me in the least.

I also like the texture of the GL screen.  You're right, it is more like paper.  It felt really nice on my fingers.

Correspondent
lindajm22

I completely agree with your thinking on this.  Yes, I can see the difference too, but it really is so negligible to me that I don't even feel like it's a true compromise.  And quite honestly, if I didn't have my first NST right next to it to make the comparison I would think the text was perfect just like my original.  Put them side by side, yes, it's there.  Alone, perfect.  I love the lighted screen so much that I turn it on even in a brightly lit space.  It just seems to make the screen that much whiter and brighter.

The difference in the screen texture is so minimal to me, maybe because I used a screen protector on my first NST.

As far as eye strain like with an lcd display, I read for several hours last night in bed with the screen lit and no eye strain at all, turned it off and went right to sleep.  The rest of the room was pitch black and I only had to barely have it lit at almost the lowest light setting.  My eyes felt fine, just like reading a normal e-ink screen.

I love mine and don't have one single regret.  Glad you like yours too!

Contributor
drew0020
0 Kudos

The difference to me is easily noticeable between the two especially side by side. The simple touch without glow light appears black and the glow light appears as a light grey. I can't understand how people don't see the difference but I respect the opinions even though I disagree with them. For me the trade-off is just too significant for me to keep the glow light. For 4 years I've gotten by on an reader without a light and I cannot take a step back to 2008 contrast wise for a slight convenience with a built in light.
BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 517
Solutions: 40
0 Kudos

This message has been moved for violation of Community Guidelines.

Inspired Correspondent
SuperC142
0 Kudos

I won't comment on the contrast issue (since I started the thread with my opinion on that), one thing I can say about your post is that something is definitely wrong with your battery.  I've logged several hours of nighttime reading since I got mine (more than 5, less than 10) and my battery is still at 74%.  And, I should point out, that includes setting up my shelves which demanded several hundred page turns as I scrolled through the lists over and over and over again (my #1 major problem with the NST).  My battery seems to be doing substantially better than yours.  At the very least, that would warrant an exchange, IMO.

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

As I pointed out in a response to the same post on another thread, many people have reported the battery issue when they first got the NST, and it seemed to be an issue of calibrating the battery monitor on new devices.  After a few charging cycles the battery would show normal behavior and only discharge a few percent per hour of use.

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

Regarding the short batter life... that's pretty normal the first time.

You're doing a LOT of work at first; registering, looking around, shopping, setting up shelves, looking up stuff in the dictionary... 

Remember, the Nook really only uses power to change the screen (not to sit there and show you the image like a tablet does).  So, total "page-turns" are what matter.  All of those initial actions are "page-turns" so it's like reading 1,000 page book in a couple of hours.

Once you settle down and are just turning pages (B&N estimates about 1 a mnute), you WILL get a lot longer battery life.

Also, make SURE you turn off the wi-fi when you're not actively using it to shop.  It takes power and it takes a LOT of power if it isn't actually connected to a network; the system will scan and scan at full  power looking for networks to connect to.