Contributor
Herky
0 Kudos

Unautorized installation of Twitter App -- Error Alert

A few days ago, my Nook Colot started throwing an error alert: 

"The application Twitter (process com.twitter.android) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

This was a suprise to me as I had not installed the Twitter app, Yet, looking in my apps, there it was. I tried touching and holding the icon to delete it, but unike othe apps, "delete" was not an option.

I tried going to bn.com and remvoing it using the website. It is not listed among my apps on the website.

I called customer support, and they informed me that this app was "pre-installed," When I insisted it was not, the rep confessed that, in fact, it was only installed with the latest "update."

Aside from the fact that this app is causing an error message, this app was isntalled WITHOUT my CONSENT or KNOWLEDGE on MY DEVICE. 

And the customer service rep tells me there is no way to remove it. That's right, he insists it must stay there.

That is really infuriating. The minimal user control over the Nook is bad enough as it is, now Barnes & Noble is deciding that it is going to force apps upon us and insist that we not remove them?

I'll be taking my Nook back to the store for a refund. For now, I'm sure B&N will try to ignore this, but I guarantee it is the kind of boneheaded decision that will very soon erput into a PR nightmare. And rightfully so, we are customers who have purchased a device on which we expect to be able to decide what apps will run. We are not zombies.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,947

Re: Unautorized installation of Twitter App -- Error Alert

Part of the terms of service you agreed to when you registered the device said that BN can modify the stock software of the device. So actually you did authorize it.

If the whole world actually read TOU's everything would run so much smoother...

Contributor
Herky

Yeah, right, this is just a simple matter of the terms of service.

Are you a B&N employee?

--------------------

Some people's minds are like fruitcake, stale, half baked and seeded with ingredients made elsewhere. 

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,947
0 Kudos

Re: Unauthorized installation of Twitter App -- Error Alert

I am not employed by BN retail.

And I never said whether or not this kind of thing is a good idea for BN to do or whatever. My sole point was that you did give your consent for BN to modify your system. You can argue that it's a bad policy to install programs on user's devices after they bought it - fine. But you did click the box that said you were ok with them doing it, so don't get all high and mighty about how your constitutional rights have been violated.

Read the fine print in everything. Saves a lot of headaches.

Contributor
Herky

"I am not employed by BN retail."

That is the kind of answer to my question that gives me enough information to gauge your honesty. No need to reply further, I'll not engage mendacious commentary. 

Correspondent
Byteguy

This kind of thing has been going on FOREVER.

Every one of my non-dumb phones have had apps preinstalled (and, yes, added as part of updates) that can't be removed.

All tablets have them.

My kids' iPhones have them.

I've even had a few computers that have had them (though, Windows is easier to trick to get rid of stuff it doesn't want to get rid of).

It's very VERY common, been going on for years, and there haven't been any "PR nightmares" like you prophesize.

Do I like it?  No.  I had a guitar game on my Droid Charge that I wanted off because it had a stupid icon and I don't like having to spend a day "de-crudding" a computer to remove the gigabytes of pre-installed and try-before-you-buy stuff they jam on them.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch

I'll come out and say this, I do work in B&N retail.

The Twitter app was pushed out with Nook Video, though I had thought it was only to the Nook Tablets, not Nook Colors.  Both got Facebook.  It's possible I am mistaken about the Twitter app for the NC's.

I know there is an issue with it on the NTs which is under review and hopefully will be resolved soon.

Despite his slightly brash way of putting it, FT is correct.  The terms you agreed to when you created your Nook allow for B&N to add apps and make modifications.  Which was why you got Nook Video recently, and various other apps for free over the years. 

As far as your optiions, I don't think you'll get far returning the NC.  It's possible if you ask nicely, calmly, and politely that exceptions will be made, but you're well outside of the return policy for the Nook.  You may also have better luck returning it through the customer support number you called as they have more range than the stores do when it comes to Nook return/exchange issues.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

I'll come out and say this, I do work in B&N retail.

The Twitter app was pushed out with Nook Video, though I had thought it was only to the Nook Tablets, not Nook Colors.  Both got Facebook.  It's possible I am mistaken about the Twitter app for the NC's.

I know there is an issue with it on the NTs which is under review and hopefully will be resolved soon.

Despite his slightly brash way of putting it, FT is correct.  The terms you agreed to when you created your Nook allow for B&N to add apps and make modifications.  Which was why you got Nook Video recently, and various other apps for free over the years. 

As far as your optiions, I don't think you'll get far returning the NC.  It's possible if you ask nicely, calmly, and politely that exceptions will be made, but you're well outside of the return policy for the Nook.  You may also have better luck returning it through the customer support number you called as they have more range than the stores do when it comes to Nook return/exchange issues.

Is this practice substantively different from Microsoft integrating Internet Explorer into the Windows Operating System without asking any users, and then not allowing IE to be removed?  This sort of thing has been going on for a long time.  As distasteful as it is, the only way it might be cured is to vote with your wallet. 

Mercury_Glitch

In broad terms no, however Windows requires that IE be installed in order to run, I suspect even with a lot of work it would be a very sketchy system that ran without IE installed assuming it's even possible to work around the walls MS puts up.  With the Nook, if you gain root access you would, in theory, be able to remove the Twitter app since the system shouldn't require it to run. 

I would liken it more to Google requiring Chrome be installed with the new android OS since most of the time you can use another browser if you want, and again gaining root access should allow you to remove Chrome if you were really that set against it.

However it should be emphasized that both MS and Google practice this, I suspect Amazon does as well though I'm not inclined to browse through their forums to see if a user has taken issue with it.  I highly doubt it's as easy as voting with your wallet if all the canidates are running on the same platform.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Inspired Correspondent
bugeek
0 Kudos

Do folks realize that both twitter and Facebook are baked into the iPod by default ...as in partially installed before you download the app... No different just that it's not as visible
DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,247
Solutions: 18

"Duelling Twitter" app updates

[ Edited ]

Of course the real problem is the "duelling Twitter" app updates on the HD/+:  One from B&N (automatic and forced), and one from Google (optional, but relentless).  If you have a rooted Nook Color, this comical behavior is duplicated there (even though I haven't installed Twitter).

I suspect (but can't prove it) that deleting the app just encourages it.

Of course it's important to remember how important Twitter is in society.  All of the news anchors use it.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
bobstro

Re: "Duelling Twitter" app updates

Never underestimate the importance of Twitter:

Twitter