Frequent Contributor
Zeeker
0 Kudos

Re: Update 1.2.1 for Nook Simple Touch

It's been awhile since I've signed on to the message board, so I am a little behind current news.  What is the verdict on a "Battery Drain" problem since the last update?  I've noticed that before the update I only had to charge once a month ... now I have to charge at least twice a week. 

Also, what's this about browser access?

Thanks all.

Correspondent
flfarber
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

frantastk wrote:

That's odd. My wishlist didn't disappear. I have books on there I added when I bought it over a year ago (I have about 200 books on my wishlist, and yes, I know I have a problem. oh, and I'm also aware that if it ever has to be deregistered I will lose the contents of the wishlist.I do keep a spreadsheet on my computer  I update). And on a positive side, my wishlist has started finally updating the prices of the books since the new update. It used to just list the price the book had when I added it to the list, now it changes to the current price.

That is odd. Is your NST updated to 1.2.1 (note that 1.2 did not erase my wishlist).

By the way, I do not think you have a problem with 200 books on your wish list. It is a lot easier to handle than a nightstand with that many books. Having it backed up on a spreadsheet may be over the top but each to his/her own. I switched to the web site wish list instead of the one on the device.

Fred

Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

flfarber wrote:

frantastk wrote:

That's odd. My wishlist didn't disappear. I have books on there I added when I bought it over a year ago (I have about 200 books on my wishlist, and yes, I know I have a problem. oh, and I'm also aware that if it ever has to be deregistered I will lose the contents of the wishlist.I do keep a spreadsheet on my computer  I update). And on a positive side, my wishlist has started finally updating the prices of the books since the new update. It used to just list the price the book had when I added it to the list, now it changes to the current price.

That is odd. Is your NST updated to 1.2.1 (note that 1.2 did not erase my wishlist).

By the way, I do not think you have a problem with 200 books on your wish list. It is a lot easier to handle than a nightstand with that many books. Having it backed up on a spreadsheet may be over the top but each to his/her own. I switched to the web site wish list instead of the one on the device.

Fred

Yes, I'm at 1.2.1. I haven't had any problems with this update.

Correspondent
flfarber
0 Kudos

frantastk wrote:

flfarber wrote:

frantastk wrote:

Fred

I guess I was unlucky. I would keep up on your spreadsheet though. I damaged my screen last night by dropping my glasses on the screeen and got the dreaded tear in the glow screen. Bummer. I have already purchased a new one, I can't live without this puppy.

Fred

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

flfarber wrote:

frantastk wrote:

flfarber wrote:

frantastk wrote:

Fred

I guess I was unlucky. I would keep up on your spreadsheet though. I damaged my screen last night by dropping my glasses on the screeen and got the dreaded tear in the glow screen. Bummer. I have already purchased a new one, I can't live without this puppy.

Fred

Those must be some heavy glasses, I've dropped my NSTG before, I've flung it on my bed, and I'm sure I've dropped my glasses on it.  No tears.

Granted mine was from the first batch my store got, which was pre-production issues, which were later solved so the tears shouldn't develop on their own.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Correspondent
flfarber
0 Kudos

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

flfarber wrote:

frantastk wrote:

flfarber wrote:

frantastk wrote:

Fred

Fred

Those must be some heavy glasses, I've dropped my NSTG before, I've flung it on my bed, and I'm sure I've dropped my glasses on it.  No tears.

Granted mine was from the first batch my store got, which was pre-production issues, which were later solved so the tears shouldn't develop on their own.

Nah, Ijust think they landed just right. I fling it around all the time. Anyway the new one has a demonstrably better screen.  It can be read without the glow in lower light situation and the glow has better contrast. As much as I use it, in a weird way, I am happy.

Fred

New User
EdMort

I have read many complaints about Nook software. My Nook is working perfectly well, with qualifications, that I will explicitate.

What bothers me is that I cannot understand the logic of B&N. My Nook works perfectly well because I don't buy books from B&N. Since I am not living in the USA right now, B&N doesn't sell me books. Therefore, I am forced to buy books from other bookstores, and read them on my Nook. Besides this,  books from other bookstores are not affected by software updates. The only two books that I bought from B&N disappeared from my Nook long ago.

Here is what I cannot understand: Why B&N sold me a device that works well only for books bought from their competition? Why sell me a device for books bought from Kobo, Bookshelf, Cultura, FNAC, etc?

The other thing I cannot understand is the reason for B&N not providing decent dictionaries. I suppose many Americans need an English dictionary. Let us face it, the dictionary that comes with the Nook is ludicrous. On the other hand, the Kindle comes with an excellent English dictionary. If I want, I can buy other excellent dictionaries from Amazon, ranging from Esperanto, Ancient Greek, Latin, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese, German, Italian to Japanese. I am reading Newton's Principia in Latin (yes, Amazon sells Newton's Principia in Latin); when I don't know the meaning of a word, all I need to do is touch the word.

I suppose that most Americans don't need an English dictionary. But even those Americans that attended the Phillip Exeter Academy or the Boston Latin School, and applied to Harvard afterwards need a Latin dictionary. I also suppose that the millions of Americans that speak Spanish as their mother tongue need a Spanish dictionary; after all they don't practice Spanish as often as an Argentinean or a Chilean.

I told about the Kindle dictionaries. The problem is that you need to buy dictionaries for your Kindle, if you want to use them. In the case of the Kobo, the dictionaries are free! There is an excellent English dictionary, of course; there is also a French dictionary. Besides this, there are Japanese, German, Chinese, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese dictionaries. There are many bilingual dictionaries. Everything is free.

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

EdMort wrote:

I have read many complaints about Nook software. My Nook is working perfectly well, with qualifications, that I will explicitate.

What bothers me is that I cannot understand the logic of B&N. My Nook works perfectly well because I don't buy books from B&N. Since I am not living in the USA right now, B&N doesn't sell me books. Therefore, I am forced to buy books from other bookstores, and read them on my Nook. Besides this,  books from other bookstores are not affected by software updates. The only two books that I bought from B&N disappeared from my Nook long ago.

Here is what I cannot understand: Why B&N sold me a device that works well only for books bought from their competition? Why sell me a device for books bought from Kobo, Bookshelf, Cultura, FNAC, etc?

For most of us, our NOOKs work perdfectly fine for books bought from BN, as well as other sources. I had a 1st gen NOOK, now a STG. Love them both and have had no problems. I also use the NOOK app on my Android tablet. 

LIsaB

Correspondent
Byteguy

Haleakala_LKB wrote:

EdMort wrote:

For most of us, our NOOKs work perdfectly fine for books bought from BN, as well as other sources. I had a 1st gen NOOK, now a STG. Love them both and have had no problems. I also use the NOOK app on my Android tablet. 

LIsaB

The "can't buy overseas" is a contract thing; B&N is not allowed to sell overseas until they work out all the deals with the publishers.  I'm sure they would love to sell you books.

I give B&N credit, like you, for selling me a reader that doesn't lock me in.  That's led me to look to B&N first when I want to buy a book but I like that I can easily go to Kobo or other sellers for books that they don't carry (or to Gutenberg when I want a free classic)

Inspired Scribe
kamas716

EdMort wrote:

The other thing I cannot understand is the reason for B&N not providing decent dictionaries. I suppose many Americans need an English dictionary. Let us face it, the dictionary that comes with the Nook is ludicrous. On the other hand, the Kindle comes with an excellent English dictionary. If I want, I can buy other excellent dictionaries from Amazon, ranging from Esperanto, Ancient Greek, Latin, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese, German, Italian to Japanese. I am reading Newton's Principia in Latin (yes, Amazon sells Newton's Principia in Latin); when I don't know the meaning of a word, all I need to do is touch the word.

I suppose that most Americans don't need an English dictionary. But even those Americans that attended the Phillip Exeter Academy or the Boston Latin School, and applied to Harvard afterwards need a Latin dictionary. I also suppose that the millions of Americans that speak Spanish as their mother tongue need a Spanish dictionary; after all they don't practice Spanish as often as an Argentinean or a Chilean.

I told about the Kindle dictionaries. The problem is that you need to buy dictionaries for your Kindle, if you want to use them. In the case of the Kobo, the dictionaries are free! There is an excellent English dictionary, of course; there is also a French dictionary. Besides this, there are Japanese, German, Chinese, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese dictionaries. There are many bilingual dictionaries. Everything is free.

My NST works fine with B&N books.  It's not the books that are the problem 99% of the time, it's the software updates that B&N pushes out that either haven't been properly vetted or which are designed to break prior functionality.

Being able to purchase books from other vendors and use them (legally) is one of the main reasons I purchased an eReader from B&N.  It's an awesome feature.  And, for someone like yourself who isn't in a country that the NST is sold in, it's a great option to have since B&N can't sell books there.

As for the lack of a decent dictionary, that is a downfall of B&N.  I understand that the latest version of the firmware has a much better dictionary than older versions, but I've not upgraded due to some other issues.  It would be nice to integrate other dictionaries into the firmware.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Frequent Contributor
Joydeck
0 Kudos

Edmort wrote:

"The other thing I cannot understand is the reason for B&N not providing decent dictionaries. I suppose many Americans need an English dictionary. Let us face it, the dictionary that comes with the Nook is ludicrous. On the other hand, the Kindle comes with an excellent English dictionary."

Why do you complain of the update 1.2.1, English dictionary - the Websters Collegiate?  No one else has.

New User
HST_Ecosse
0 Kudos

DeanGibson wrote:

The files listed below have changed.  My guess is that most of the changes are internationalization, as B&N moves into Europe.  I only had about five minutes to test the update before I went to a dinner appt.

/kernel
/kernel-recovery

/MLO
/ramdisk.img
/ramdisk-recovery.img
/recovery/etc/install-recovery.sh
/recovery/recovery-from-boot.p
/romrestore.zip
/system/app/BnCloudRequestSvc.apk
/system/app/DeviceManager.apk
/system/app/Home.apk
/system/app/LatinIME.apk

-------------------------

I cannot get this update to happen, no matter what I try.  I've got a brand new Simple Touch, registered, working.  I downloaded nook_1_2_update.zip from B&N, copied it to the top of my nook, disconnected USB, waited. . . it goes to sleep.   No sign of update happening, no reboot.  Wake it up, check, version still shows as 1.2.0.  Reconnect USB, file is gone!
In fact, file disappears as soon as I disconnect -- the storage used drops back to virtually 0. . .  And yes, I am Ejecting before I disconnect . . .

Any suggestions?

Any chance they've reverted the file?  I only see 8 files with write dates later than 2010 if I look inside the zip.  Anyone can give me an md5 signature for the real 1.2.1 update?  Or even just a length in bytes?

Thanks for any help!

ht

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

The 1.2.1 download link at B&N seems to be incorrect.
The 1.2.1 filename was nook_1_2_update_1.zip.
The files that now gets downloaded seems to be 1.2.0.
New User
HST_Ecosse
0 Kudos

Thanks, at least I have a story now.

Any ideas where a copy might be found?

The Wayback machine doesn't have one :-(
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

I tried replacing the file name in the url with http://su.barnesandnoble.com/nook/nook2/1.2.1/US/QEM5Ljgt6sxsoUhs1ypATSufC9bS7WCNbMJmvnTq/nook_1_2_u...

but it doesn't work.

Not sure where the file is. Perhaps trying some other urls around this might work.

Inspired Contributor
Swedereades
0 Kudos

geertm wrote:
The 1.2.1 download link at B&N seems to be incorrect.
The 1.2.1 filename was nook_1_2_update_1.zip.
The files that now gets downloaded seems to be 1.2.0.

As stated on the first page of this thread the 1.2.1 update actually was named "Nook_1_2_update.zip".

It should have been named something else, but it wasn't! It's several months ago, so maybe you've forgotten you renamed when looking in your folder and see that file name there now.

My 1.2.1 update is named "Nook_1_2_update.zip" and it borught my device to 1.2.1. 

Inspired Contributor
Swedereades
0 Kudos

HST_Ecosse wrote:

Or even just a length in bytes?

Thanks for any help!

ht

Size: 121 323 347 byte

Size on disc: 121 323 520 byte

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

OK, thanks for clearing that up.

New User
HST_Ecosse

OK, figured it out -- I'm in the UK, and have a new UK-sourced Nook.  The system is slightly different, and one needs the UK 1.2.1 to update the UK 1.2.0 successfuly.  Find it at

http://uk.nook.com/support/nook-simple-touch-software-updates

Resulting file is nook_1_2_update.zip, as for US, but length is

122621182 bytes

Hope this helps someone,

ht

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

Seeing this thread reminded me to keep my Wi-Fi on long enough for the update to push through this weekend. (About a 1/2 hour.)

Only noticeable difference seems to be a minor tweak to the contrast of text. Maybe something to do with the ghosting so many complain about?

Other than that, no noticeable difference to performance, including battery life.