Distinguished Correspondent
gobasso
0 Kudos

Update Zaps Purchased Books

After updating to 1.2 I can no longer access books I bought from other sources that I had to run through ADE or the Sony software. When I try to open them I get an error dialog box that says,"User not activated". I did reauthorize my NOOK with ADE but that doesn't seem to have fixed the problem. Anyone else having difficulty? Any suggestions as to how I can fix this? Take this as a warning before you update.

booklover128
0 Kudos

Re: Update Zaps Purchased Books

Are you trying to access books that were on the device BEFORE the update was installed and you re-registered with ADE?

If the answer is yes, I would recommend sideloading the books again now that you have reauthorized the device with ADE. I had a similar problem when I moved my primary ADE account to a new computer. I had just copied my ADE directory from one computer to another, but in order to read a couple of library books that had been downloaded to the old computer but not sideloaded to the Nook, I had to download them fresh from the library again to the new computer.

I hope this helps.

gobasso
0 Kudos

booklover128 wrote:

Are you trying to access books that were on the device BEFORE the update was installed and you re-registered with ADE?

If the answer is yes, I would recommend sideloading the books again now that you have reauthorized the device with ADE. I had a similar problem when I moved my primary ADE account to a new computer. I had just copied my ADE directory from one computer to another, but in order to read a couple of library books that had been downloaded to the old computer but not sideloaded to the Nook, I had to download them fresh from the library again to the new computer.

I hope this helps.

I will try this but, I borrowed a book from the library as a test and got the same error with the new download. BTW Sony will no longer recognize my NOOK on their software.

Frequent Contributor
geertm

You need to delete the 2 ADE folders that are on your NST device (those contain the incorrect authorization information). After deleting the 2 folders on your NST connect the NST to the PC with ADE running. ADE will detect there is no authorization information available on the device, and ask you to authorize it.

If you are using a Mac one of the ADE folders on the device will be hidden because the name starts with a dot.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

As I posted in your other post:

Follow these instructions from this post:

(The user not activated error fix is the same as ADE not seeing the NOOK fix.)

• If ADE does not “see” the Nook, try the following steps.
  1. Go to “My Computer” (or the equivalent on your PC or Mac) and click on the Nook drive.
  2. Find and delete the “.adobe-digital-editions file.
  3. Close ADE
  4. Restart ADE
  5. Your Nook should now be visible to ADE, if not
  6. Go back to the Nook drive
  7. Find the “Digital Editions” file and delete it
  8. Close ADE
  9. Restart ADE

10.  Nook will be visible

11.  Click “Authorize Device”

gobasso
0 Kudos

I have only been able to find the Digital Editions file not the .adobe-digital-editions file. I'm using a Mac. I have deleted the Digital Editions file but that doesn't seem to fix the problem. Perhaps not having a .adobe-digital-editions file is the problem? Really appreciate the help.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

You need to show hidden files on a Mac.

I'm not sure how to do this on the current version of OSX.  I haven't used it since 10.4(?).

Maybe a Mac user will come in and explain.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI

[ Edited ]

It's easiest to just use a terminal window in MacOS.

If you really REALLY want to see hidden files in teh finder then there is a procedure here

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

LarryOnLI wrote:

It's easiest to just use a terminal window in MacOS.

If you really REALLY want to see hidden files in teh finder then there is a procedure here

Why on earth is this not a toggle-able option?

gobasso
0 Kudos

Wow! thanks so much to all. A big electronic hug to everyone. All my books are accessible. I only hope the update doesn't do this to anyone else.

Contributor
CateYuk
0 Kudos

How did that work for you?

I try following everyones instructions but it never works!!

:smileysad:

gobasso
0 Kudos

CateYuk wrote:

How did that work for you?

I try following everyones instructions but it never works!!

:smileysad:

Since I use a Mac the trick for me was using the terminal window to show the hidden folder ".adobe-digital-editions file". Once I deleted that ADE recognized my NOOK. I'm sorry you haven't had better luck and I'm not tech savvy enough to help but, keep asking around here. There are plenty of smart techies who will help you. Especially since this is becoming a known problem with the update.

Reader 2
Raynak25
0 Kudos

Thanks for the tips; this worked for my NST!
Contributor
lfeuln
0 Kudos

Was reading here while on the phone with B&N support. If I hadn't known about the hidden file on the Mac that needed deletion, there's no way I'd have gotten it to finally work so thanks.

I actually ended up moving the Nook to a PC to delete but if someone knows the proper terminal command to view hidden files, I'm sure it'd be helpful to anyone else with the issue.

gobasso
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

lfeuln wrote:

Was reading here while on the phone with B&N support. If I hadn't known about the hidden file on the Mac that needed deletion, there's no way I'd have gotten it to finally work so thanks.

I actually ended up moving the Nook to a PC to delete but if someone knows the proper terminal command to view hidden files, I'm sure it'd be helpful to anyone else with the issue.

See 

above. He provided a link for the proper command to put in the terminal.

New User
femlyn
0 Kudos

I deleted to two files and re-started everything.

I could transfer two new library books and a couple of other books in ADE, but it won't transfer 12 about 12 other books.  It says I don't have permission.

Any suggestions?

I assume that removing ADE and downloading 2.0 will also delete all my books.  [I assume all my notes are already gone when I deleted the two files from the nook]

New User
KJKW
0 Kudos

Followed these instructions, but only after I had deactivated and reactivated my ADE on my Nook and PC. Not only am I continuing to get the "no permission to copy" error when I try to sideload, I am now getting a "Requires Vendor ID" to read the book in ADE on my PC. What now??