New User
tomtTT
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Upgrade from a Nook Tablet to a Nook HD

I'm considering purchasing a Nook HD.  Will I be able to access/load ALL the books and apps that I have on my Nook Tablet?

Inspired Correspondent
MusicmanGG

Re: Upgrade from a Nook Tablet to a Nook HD

Books and magazines yes.  Apps have to be compatible.  its up to the vender to update the app.  For example scrabble still has not been upgraded to work on my HD+.  

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb

Music manage,  is right. I have found most compatible.  I kept my NT, and purchased an HD+.  I have found that an excellent combination. If you have a android smartphone most of those apps are compatible as well with the HD+, but not the NT, unless rooted. 

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

ALL is a pretty inclusive word. And since we dont know what apps you have, I'ld be inclined to say Most will, but ALL will not.

Agree w/ pat; NT and HD+ is a nice combo (tend to read more with NT these days.) Two apps that can think of that did not transfer over were Plants vs Zombies (its available in HD, just chose not to buy it again) and QuickOfficePro (was originally available, then pulled in Dec.) 

HD+ was a nice option before, but with GP store added, its really nice.(There was only one app I wanted for my Hd, and now I have it!) Very happy!:smileyhappy:

Distinguished Wordsmith
Froide
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
NOOKGardener - I own a NT (16G) with an AFN card. I'm considering replacing it with a NookHD (16G). I'm curious: do you read on your NT (rather than NookHD+) because the NT's easier to hold and carry, or for some other reason? Also, do you (and other members of this discussion board) have advice about whether or not the NT to NookHD upgrade would be worthwhile? (I'm uninterested in the larger HD+). I'd be grateful to hear your thoughts.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
Wordsmith
LectorGS

@Froide

I upgraded from the NT to the HD+ almost a year ago.  My main goal was to have a bigger screen resolution and a bigger screen as well.  I used my HD+ for everything, web navigation, entertainment, email, and reading.  I have approximately 300 books on my B&N account, and I use my new tablet as a reader everyday.  However, I must admit that reading from the NT was easier because of the size and the weight of the device.  I am quite happy with my HD+, however, reading from my NT was more pleasant. 

Now that the HD+ has access to the GPS, my device has acquired more value for me.  Even though I am not an app "junkie" I appreciate the fact that having access to this service increases utility of my device. 

Lector GS
Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin

I have a Nook Color and an HD+.  I have found--to my surprise--that I prefer reading on the HD+.  I like the larger screen size.  It's more like reading a hardcover as opposed to a paperback.  I keep the HD+ in a sleeve, so when I use it, there's no extra weight.  The NC travels better because it's smaller; but at home I find myself turning to the HD+.  I read every night for an hour or two.  I'm mostly a reader--don't use the Nooks for much more than reading and email.

Frequent Contributor
eaglewomanEP

I have a NOOK Color and an HD+, I use my color to lend to my friends when they want to borrow a book.

Love them both. I read and play games. I too am waiting for the Scrabble to come over, have it on the color.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

@Froide,

I purchased the HD+ primarily for the bigger screen ( to read magazines, pdfs and some tech/photo books.) Initially, mainly used it at home. Ended up purchasing the lighter groovy cover in March, it was somuch lighter that now the HD+ usually goes with me to work instead. Really love the screen, both the clarity and the extra bit of screen real estate.  So the NT now primarily used just for reading books or as backup (when HD is charging). Think my eyes get a little more tired on the HD though, so if know am going to settle into a book for awhile in the evening, the NT works better for me.

For you, if want to stick with same size, probably comes down to 1) is the screen worth it and 2) are all the apps you want available via HD & GP store.(What devices apps are available for is set by the developer, so not everything is available to nook.)

Hope that helps!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Froide
0 Kudos

Thank you everyone, for your very informative responses; you've provided excellent food for thought. Enjoy your HD+ devices!  

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
Distinguished Wordsmith
Rignes

NookGardener wrote:

@Froide,

I purchased the HD+ primarily for the bigger screen ( to read magazines, pdfs and some tech/photo books.) Initially, mainly used it at home. Ended up purchasing the lighter groovy cover in March, it was somuch lighter that now the HD+ usually goes with me to work instead. Really love the screen, both the clarity and the extra bit of screen real estate.  So the NT now primarily used just for reading books or as backup (when HD is charging). Think my eyes get a little more tired on the HD though, so if know am going to settle into a book for awhile in the evening, the NT works better for me.

This is why I keep my Nook Simple Touch around.  It's a great fall back and is lighter and easier on the eyes if I happen to have time (a rarity these days) for some marathon reading.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Froide
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Rignes - Did you upgrade to an HD or an HD+? Or both?

Contributor
lvnook

I have a nook simple touch,nc and I recently upgraded to hd+ I love the hd+ reading,movies and apps. I read on the simple touch and take it to church because of the size. But love the 9 " screen. Good luck
Distinguished Wordsmith
Froide
0 Kudos

FYI, there's a great video at Goodereader in "Thread: Nook HD VS Nook Tablet" (11-24-2012) that does a very informative, 16:58 minute, side-by-side comparison of the Nook Tablet and Nook HD.