Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

Using Calibre to back up your nookbooks.

Did you know that you can download your nookbooks (and books from a few other sites as well) directly into Calibre? This function has been included for awhile, but I've not really played with it much until recently. There's a lot to learn about using calibre, I'm slowly getting around to them all. :smileyhappy:

You can purchase your books within Calibre and download them into the calibre library. Once in your library, you can add them to your catalog if you create one, and/or use Calibre as your backup as well as having them in your library for easy reference!

Here's how:

First, I suggest you get the newest Calibre update and install it.

Go to "Get Books" in the menu bar. Click on the bar on the right side of the icon, from the pull down menu, choose "stores", then choose "Barnes and Noble".

A window will now pop up for the Barnes and Noble website. Within this window, you will have to sign in to BN each and every time you use it. Your password is not stored. I suggest you sign in before you do anything else.

Once signed in, you can browse and purchase your nookbooks or go straight to your Nook library.

Once in your library, you can now download any or all of your purchased books. Just click "download" for each book you want and your download will start. There's no magic pop up window to tell you it is happening, the books won't show up in your downloads folder. They go straight into your Calibre's library and are filed in the same manner as your other books.

At the bottom left of Calibre, it will tell you when each title is finished downloading. This is usually the long number/letter name that is given to your books that you usually find in your nook app folder, but Calibre will pull the title and author out for you and display it in the main library. VERY NICE.

Out of 80 books I downloaded today, one did not have an author listed once in Calibre, and another was displayed with it's generic name and unknown for author. Because I was downloading the books from the website, I was able to check back for what books weren't showing up, and made a notation on what books would need to be manually updated. Because the downloads are happening in the background, it's easy to think they aren't happening, but they are and they show up in the library as they are fnished downloading.

This was a lot easier than importing them from Nook for PC. There was no guessing what those untitled ebooks might be. And I didn't have to wait forever for Nook for PC to open and download and then become workable with my very good size library. 

Though Amazon is listed as a store, it does not work this way, but does open Amazon in your browser rather than within Calibre. Kobo works the same as BN as I've used it for Kobo as well, to directly download my books into Calibre. Those are the only stores I've tried. There are a few other stores listed though, you can give them a shot.

I found this to be less stressful and more organized than just importing them and hoping for the best. I had more control over it, could pick and choose what I wanted downloaded as I did it.

I like keeping my BN books within Calibre both as a backup and to keep track of what I've purchased from different places so I don't accidentally repurchase something. I also can keep up with series where different books in the series might have been purchased at different stores. They are all stored under the same author in Calibre and I keep the series information there for reference. I keep a copy of my Calibre folder on my PC and on a usb drive just in case I lose the PC. Also, I can take it from one computer to another and have access to my books. LOVE it!

Hope you find this another useful way to get the most from your Calibre library!

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

Re: Using Calibre to back up your nookbooks.

This is also workable for magazines, so you can keep your back issues offline.

It is a big part of why I first bought a Simple Touch and why I've taken the time to set my NST and NSTG up so that the magazines download to storage I can see, in fact, because the NST formatted magazines are readable in standard epub readers, not just the BN magazine readers.

Also, using the Amazon app, Calibre, and some of the excellent work by students of DRM, you can both archive Amazon books and convert them to epub format.

My walkthrough on setting up the NST/G to store your books and magazines on the SD card (which you can see in Calibre) rather than in internal memory is at

http://nookworks.blogspot.com/2012/05/fat-glowworm-using-your-sd-card-as.html

and my walkthrough on using Calibre to manage DRM and format for all of your books, regardless of vendor, is at

http://nookworks.blogspot.com/2011/09/information-security-and-digital-rights.html

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

Thanks for adding that Roustabout. Valuable information.

Calibre can create up to 5 separate libraries. Dummy files can be set up and used to enable a person to include just about anything and use Calibres effecient library system to keep track of non digital content as well. A great way to include your DTBs in your library too.

I have recently started adding my audiobooks as I am starting to get a good size audio library. By adding user defined columns, or using specific tags to identify content, these items can easily be found  in the library using the sort function. I set up additional columns letting me know which store I purchased the book,etc, if it is drm'd or not, if it's ready for upload (I've updated the cover, metadata and converted it). I use tags to identify audiobooks, comic books and magazines. I can easily fill in these columns when I'm updating the metadata, sometimes I do it by bulk update if I'm working with a lot of files. I know I could just put tags for everything, but the columns allow me to know at a glance what's up. Now that we can color code columns, I'm going to have to try that out and see how it works. Makes life simpler. These columns can be included in any catalogs I create as well. 

I'm continuously learning new things about what Calibre can do and do for me. Thanks for adding that info on the magazines. I hadn't thought of that, my magazine library is still rather small so I haven't really thought much about it yet. I should though as it is a lot easier if you start out when it's small and add to it as you go then to wait till you have so many that it's a chore.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

@ Compulsive,

As an aside, when pulling ebooks in from Nook for PC to Calibre, there is no guesswork as to titles; just go into your Documents folder "My Barnes & Noble ebooks" and click on the folder with your email address; all titles are displayed. I wish it was that simple in converting my Kindle ebooks to epub, there it's All trial and error/guesswork.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

laurieb52 wrote:

@ Compulsive,

As an aside, when pulling ebooks in from Nook for PC to Calibre, there is no guesswork as to titles; just go into your Documents folder "My Barnes & Noble ebooks" and click on the folder with your email address; all titles are displayed. I wish it was that simple in converting my Kindle ebooks to epub, there it's All trial and error/guesswork.

eh...not always.I have over 3500 books in my library and every time I open Nook for PC to download the newest ones...lt dates nearly EVERY SINGLE BOOK in the folder as being newly downloaded. Why it does this, I don't know. I'm sure I compound the problem by only doing it every 80-100 books becuase it takes an hour to load, sync, screw up the library, etc before it will respond and allow me to use it.

So yep, I tend to download them directly from the site and skipping Nook for PC...at least I can get it done in the same day. That means dealing with those awkward titles. Damned if I do, Damned if I don't.

I really really hate Nook for PC. The Kindle for PC isn't any better.

Nope, now that I know I can easily add just a few at a time, have them automatically added to Calibre without me having to figure out which ones were newly downloaded in the first place, life will be easy and relaxing once again. It's a lot easier to find the name of a file, when you know exactly which files were just downloaded. :smileyhappy:

Even if I weren't having this problem with Nook for PC, I can now bypass it totally now. I don't have to keep two complete sets of my BN books now on my PC, just one in Calibre.  Not with that many books. Importing books into calibre directly from the website puts my books in Calibre, integrates them with my other books for a comprehensive library.  And I don't have two separate sets of the books on my PC. Then you figure in the set I keep on a usb drive and that's THREE sets of the same books, one set of which is completely useless as anything on than a hard drive space user. that's several GB's of storage space.

Reader 2
trixieq
0 Kudos

What do you do about the DRM? I tried to open a nook book once it was in my calibre library and it said that I couldn't open it because of the DRM.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

you can either get the plugin to remove the DRM (possibly illegal), or simply use Calibre to hold the files as a backup and use your Nook to read, or use the latest version of ADE to open them on your computer if you really want to read them on your PC/laptop.
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

If I recall correctly, the plugin simply allows Calibre to be authorized to read the DRM.  As long as you aren't converting the files I think the DRM stays intact.

Which is likely how the plugin has remained available, it doesn't violate laws in itself.  It just knows how to put the key in the lock. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
keriflur
0 Kudos

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

If I recall correctly, the plugin simply allows Calibre to be authorized to read the DRM.  As long as you aren't converting the files I think the DRM stays intact.

Which is likely how the plugin has remained available, it doesn't violate laws in itself.  It just knows how to put the key in the lock. 

Nope, the plug-in removes the DRM on import into Calibre.  Unless, of course, there are two different plug-ins.  The one I know of strips the DRM. It also shows your credit card number in the settings, so, use at your own discretion.

Reader 2
trixieq
0 Kudos

Hi, what is ADE? I have nook for Mac on my laptop but it is terrible and often doesn't work. I'm curious about backing up files on calibre. If something were to happen and I would need to access the backup files, can they be side loaded into a nook? Otherwise, what use is the backups if I don't want to access the software that removes the DRM? I've also been wondering what I would do with all the nook books if Barnes and noble were to go under or stop making the nook. Would I be unable to read them because of the DRM?
Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

trixieq wrote:
Hi, what is ADE? I have nook for Mac on my laptop but it is terrible and often doesn't work. I'm curious about backing up files on calibre. If something were to happen and I would need to access the backup files, can they be side loaded into a nook? Otherwise, what use is the backups if I don't want to access the software that removes the DRM? I've also been wondering what I would do with all the nook books if Barnes and noble were to go under or stop making the nook. Would I be unable to read them because of the DRM?

ADE is Adobe Digital Editions.  It's a program for reading epub files with DRM and is needed to unlock the DRM from vendors like Kobo, Google and Sony, among others.  The latest version also reads B&N DRMed eBooks, though I haven't tried it yet. 

Your B&N DRMed eBooks that you have saved on your computer will open on your Nook device. Even if B&N were to go belly up tomorrow and take down its servers, all of your NookBooks would continue to work just as they do now.  Any of your NookBooks that you have saved on your computer/flashdrive/CD that you might need to sideload onto your Nook will still open because the encryption key isn't tied into any of the B&N servers but is a part of the eBook file you have saved.  You just need to know your Log In and CC# used to download them.

Calibre is great as a library management tool, but won't itself read DRMed eBooks.  If you search for Apprentice Alf you can find plugins for Calibre which allow you to manipulate the files so Calibre (or any other eReader) can read them.  Without the plugins you can still manage your library and sideload content onto your Nook.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
roustabout
0 Kudos

You can use Calibre without the plugin to backup and restore DRM'ed epubs to any device that knows how to deal with the BN DRM scheme.

Also, there are a couple of ways to use the DRM plugin, but both do remove DRM.

One way to use the plugin does indeed store your name and credit card number locally - probably at less risk of compromise than the copy stored at BN, quite frankly.  (Yes, I know that to be compliant BN has to encrypt that data.  I also know how simple that sounds and how often it's done wrong enough to be exploited - and let's face it, the BN servers and the servers of their credit processors are much tastier targets than most folks' home computers.) 

The other way to use the plugin involves installing Python, IIRC, and some of the crypto tools to use with Python. 

Once you do that, the crypto lets you create a  token to de-DRM your files that has the same properties as the token that your name and credit card number generate, but is not generated by your name or your credit card number. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
keriflur
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

The other way to use the plugin involves installing Python, IIRC, and some of the crypto tools to use with Python. 

Once you do that, the crypto lets you create a  token to de-DRM your files that has the same properties as the token that your name and credit card number generate, but is not generated by your name or your credit card number. 

My understanding is that this is not part of the plug-in, this is a separate process.  At least, it was when I looked at the plug-in.  The plug-in only works with the credit card info on display.

roustabout
0 Kudos

Well "the plugin" is really a bundle of  plugins, for BN specifically, for Adobe ADE generally and a few others.  (Quite a few - it's been some time since I set this up, it works so very well.) 

It looks as if the easiest to use variant for BN, which takes name and card # as input, is a separate plugin from the one that can use the self-generated token. 

I tend to do things the hard way;  when I first set up the Amazon de-drm'ing process, I made my own copy of the Kindle APK and self-signed it, so I could get the device ID from it.

Only later did I realize that there's a zero configuration plugin for Amazon titles that requires only that the plugin is on the same Windows instance the books were downloaded to.  (Would also work in Wine or in Vmware player or Fusion.) 

But hey, now I know a tiny bit about how APKs are put together, which I've promptly forgotten. 

Frequent Contributor
Jafa
0 Kudos

kamas 716 wrote:

"Your B&N DRMed eBooks that you have saved on your computer will open on your Nook device. Even if B&N were to go belly up tomorrow and take down its servers, all of your NookBooks would continue to work just as they do now.  Any of your NookBooks that you have saved on your computer/flashdrive/CD that you might need to sideload onto your Nook will still open because the encryption key isn't tied into any of the B&N servers but is a part of the eBook file you have saved.  You just need to know your Log In and CC# used to download them"

I'm confused.  If BN disappeared tomorrow, how would you access them on Nook for PC when that requires logging in to the server, and how would you get access to your books once your Nook dies?  How would you sideload them to a future device if the DRM would not let you?  What is the best way to make sure I forever have access to my books, even if BN disappeared? 

I am concerned because Calibre will not let me open most of my books, due to DRM.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Dont wait until there's a problem. Start backing up your books now.

1) Download Nook for PC or Nook Study. When you're logged in to B&N, there's an option to download a copy of your books to your pc. (You can generally download a couple at a time.) 

2)Once thats done, you can pull the books into calibre to organize your library or add covers if you need them. (Some people just make a copy of their books in another directory if your not interested in using calibre/organizing.)  This way, the copy isnt tied to the B&N program.

There are other android reading programs that will allow you to use the B&N drm. (Mantano is one. There are a couple of others.) You just need to make a note on the cc number you've used to download. (If you change card numbers, you'll want the old number unless you want to redownload everything.)

Does that help?

Frequent Contributor
Jafa
0 Kudos

NookGardener said

"1) Download Nook for PC or Nook Study. When you're logged in to B&N, there's an option to download a copy of your books to your pc. (You can generally download a couple at a time.)

2)Once thats done, you can pull the books into calibre to organize your library or add covers if you need them. (Some people just make a copy of their books in another directory if your not interested in using calibre/organizing.)  This way, the copy isnt tied to the B&N program."

Yes, thank you, I did do this.  That's the problem.   I have the BN books backed up in Calibre, but Calibre cannot open them due to the BN DRM.   So my backups are just unusable files.  Am I missing a step?

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Most ereaders support the type of DRM B&N uses, so should B&N go under you can sideload your books to another ereader using Adobe Digital Editions and you're set. 

Frequent Contributor
Jafa
0 Kudos

Thank you, that's good to know. How would I prove to Adobe that I have valid copies if BN had gone under, and therefore no longer had an active account?
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

I suspect it should be as easy as loading them in to ADE, connecting the new ereader, registering that with ADE, and then dragging them to the device in ADE.  Much as N1E, and NST/G owners do for library books.

B&N doesn't use a phone home mechanic for ebooks, the encryption lives in the file. 

I say suspect as I haven't done this before since I don't have an ereader from another company.