Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

Re: Using Calibre to back up your nookbooks.

Calibre can't open the files, but your Nook device can - if you copy the epub files back to your Nook (or to another nook that is registered to your account but hasn't yet downloaded the file) the Nook will be able to open them. 

Also, there are at least two apps that you can open BN DRMed titles with without a connection to BN, so long as you know the name and credit card number the book was purchased using. 

So, in the event that the Barnocalypse has arrived and you've needed to reload your Nook software but can't register it to your account due to zombies infesting the server room at BN, or if you just want to read the ebook on another device without loading the Nook software, or lend it to a trusted friend, or if you just want to use a different, ADE-aware reader (for instance, Aldiko or Moon Plus) when you first try to open the file you'll be asked for a username and password.

The name to use is your name as it appears on your BN-tied credit card.  The password is your credit card number, without hyphens.  Once you've opened one book tied to that account in that app, any others tied to the account will open automagically. 

BN refers to this as "social DRM," or did at one time.  It's actually a selling point that you can, if you trust someone with your credit card #, let them read a book you purchased. 

Alternately, there are plugins you can use in Calibre to remove DRM completely at which point the onus is on you to behave well with your books.  The advantage there is that you can use any reader on any platform to read your books. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
MacMcK1957

Just one minor quirk I have run into in removing the DRM encryption. The name used to encrypt is the one attached to your BN account, not the name as it appears on the credit card. (In my case the difference is that my middle initial is on the card, not on the BN account.) just something to try if you want to remove the encryption. Also, if you changed credit cards on the account at any time, books that you downloaded earlier will be encrypted with the old card number. If you remove local copies and re-download, you will get a copy encrypted with the latest card.
Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Jafa wrote:

kamas 716 wrote:

"Your B&N DRMed eBooks that you have saved on your computer will open on your Nook device. Even if B&N were to go belly up tomorrow and take down its servers, all of your NookBooks would continue to work just as they do now.  Any of your NookBooks that you have saved on your computer/flashdrive/CD that you might need to sideload onto your Nook will still open because the encryption key isn't tied into any of the B&N servers but is a part of the eBook file you have saved.  You just need to know your Log In and CC# used to download them"

I'm confused.  If BN disappeared tomorrow, how would you access them on Nook for PC when that requires logging in to the server, and how would you get access to your books once your Nook dies?  How would you sideload them to a future device if the DRM would not let you?  What is the best way to make sure I forever have access to my books, even if BN disappeared? 

I am concerned because Calibre will not let me open most of my books, due to DRM.

As MercuryGlitch said, B&N apps don't have to connect to a server to open the eBooks you already have downloaded onto your computer.  What's already on the computer is yours.

Calibre has thirdparty plugins that can be added to remove DRM, allowing you to do what you will with your eBooks.  But, even if you don't strip the DRM and just use Calibre as a place to hold your eBook files, you can still read those files with any device/app that reads B&N DRM.  Stripping DRM is technically against the law (see DMCA), but if you aren't sharing the files your chances of being prosecuted are essentially nil.  DRM free files are the best way to safeguard your 'purchases', in my opinion.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Frequent Contributor
Jafa
0 Kudos

Thank you to everyone. I know some may think I am overly concerned with the future, but you never know what companies or file formats will be around (or not around) years from now. And a library is a forever thing for me, so I want to do my best to protect the files.
Thank you again
Contributor
JRScarborough

[ Edited ]

With all of the competing proprietary formats and DRM schemes, it's a legitimate concern that you may lose access to DRM-protected ebooks if you change reading devices or if the ebook seller goes out of business or stops supporting the format you've purchased. 

This has already happened to me three times - first with MS Reader, then with Gemstar and lastly with the Franklin Bookman.  The only way to protect against this is to buy DRM-free ebooks whenever possible or to remove the DRM from those that have it.

This article is the "standard" online resource for explaining how DRM affects you and what you can do to protect yourself: http://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/2011/01/13/ebooks-formats-drm-and-you-%E2%80%94-a-guide-for-the-p...

If you're using Calibre with these plug-ins to convert and store your ebooks, there's one important step I wanted to emphasize.  The plug-ins will only work when you initially add an ebook to your library.  So, it's important to install and configure the plug-ins before adding your books to Calibre.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

While it's a good thing to focus on DRM and protecting yourself there, epub is likely not going anywhere.  I believe the only ereader on the market from a major brand that doesn't read it are the Amazon Kindles.  Will it be around forever and ever?  Probably not.  Is it something that will fade out in the near future?  Unlikely, ebooks are a well established market now, it's in the publishers, ereader companies, and customers best interest to not replace it without good cause.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Realistically, "all of the competing proprietary formats and DRM schemes" now means two of them, Amazon's and EPUB. The others have pretty much fallen by the wayside. As long as there are any non-Amazon vendors in the marketplace, EPUB will survive, and the DRM scheme is an Adobe product, an industry standard, not something specific to B&N.
keriflur

[ Edited ]

MacMcK1957 wrote:
Realistically, "all of the competing proprietary formats and DRM schemes" now means two of them, Amazon's and EPUB. The others have pretty much fallen by the wayside. As long as there are any non-Amazon vendors in the marketplace, EPUB will survive, and the DRM scheme is an Adobe product, an industry standard, not something specific to B&N.

Correct in that there are two file formats in primary use - mobi and epub.  However, I count four intrusive DRM schemes - one for mobi (Amazon's) and three for epub - Adept (the primary ADE scheme that most vendors use), B&N's Social DRM, and Apple's DRM (whatever they call it).

B&N's Social DRM is now integrated into ADE, but I'd hardly call it an industry standard, because only one vendor uses Social DRM.  ADE as a product is an industry standard, but many, if not most, devices that use ADE use Adept only and will not read B&N's DRM.

And then there's also watermarking, which is DRM, just non-intrusive, as there's nothing stopping anyone from reading it on any device or app that will read the file format.  I think there are others like watermarking, but I don't remember what they are.

bobstro

Am I mistaken, or do you need a valid Adobe account to use ADE? If Adobe disappears, there will be definite repercussions for anybody with DRM using their method, won't there? I'm amazed at how often I've run into the Adobe 6 consurrent device limit.

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Ultimately the B&N "social" DRM is the same technology as the Adobe adept, just a different choice of keys, tied to a credit card number rather than an Adobe user ID. It can be unlocked by many pieces of software on numerous devices if you have the key. I have no idea what Apple's DRM is based on. Since their history of playing well with others is pretty comparable to Amazon's, it wouldn't surprise me if they have their own proprietary format as well.
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

Am I mistaken, or do you need a valid Adobe account to use ADE? If Adobe disappears, there will be definite repercussions for anybody with DRM using their method, won't there? I'm amazed at how often I've run into the Adobe 6 consurrent device limit.

I can see things going south if Adobe was out of the picture, however it seems unlikely that Adobe will cave in any time soon.  They've been putting out premier level graphics software from around the time I started getting in to computers, and have only grown larger in the years between then and now.  I think if they go under we may be looking at bigger issues than DRM on ebooks, something more along the lines of a financial crisis. 

I also suspect we can play the 'what if' game with any number of things that would prohibit reading ebooks.  What if an EMP knocks out our ability to use electronics?  What if storage mediums change and we aren't able to transfer over everything? 

bobstro
0 Kudos

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

[...] I think if they go under we may be looking at bigger issues than DRM on ebooks, something more along the lines of a financial crisis. 

Adobe too big to fail? :smileyhappy:

I was thinking more along the lines of something that takes a while to unfold. I'm old enough to remember Ashton Tate and Lotus, and people not paying attention to the fact that their ebooks are tied to Adobe DRM. It's happened with music collections. You "bought" something, only to realize some time later you have no way to access it again.

The answer is to back your stuff up and strip the DRM if you're worried about long-term access to your collection.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

I'd go with unlikely to fall, but point taken.

With how easy it is to strip DRM from ebooks, at least from Amazon and B&N, I don't think people need to freak out about it.  Keep an eye out, sure, but these companies (B&N included) aren't going to be gone in a day. 

And unless Adobe decides to roll out an update to ADE which breaks functionality with eink ereaders and also doesn't provide a work around, I think we're safe there.  Even if they did I suspect there would be legal recourse for those affected. 

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Bear in mind that there are third-party apps (though some may debate their legality) to strip DRM from EPUB files.  So the methodology is known, and is out there, regardless of whether Adobe and/or B&N continues to exist or not.

bobstro
0 Kudos

After tinkering a bit, I believe a functional ADE setup is required to strip Adobe DRM. If you don't have ADE, you can't strip the DRM. I might be wrong, but I was surprised that getting the DRM stripped under Linux was more difficult without a functional ADE setup. 

Better to recognize these issues today than scramble for workarounds, or get stuck later! 

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

After tinkering a bit, I believe a functional ADE setup is required to strip Adobe DRM. If you don't have ADE, you can't strip the DRM. I might be wrong, but I was surprised that getting the DRM stripped under Linux was more difficult without a functional ADE setup. 

Better to recognize these issues today than scramble for workarounds, or get stuck later! 

I would think that you'd need ADE to get the actual ePub file before the "sanitizing" can begin. Get the plugins for Calibre from Apprentice Alf and you're ready to go. It's extremely nice having all your books in one place. I'm certainly glad I have my BoB books safely ensconced in Calibre.

MacMcK1957

bobstro wrote:

That seems to be correct for ADE, due to the way ADE hides the encryption keys.  The plug-in for Calibre can use the keys from the ADE setup to decrypt files, but it doesn't look as if there's any way way to save them or even know what they are.

On the other hand, the B&N encryption can be stripped at any time as long as you know what the account name and credit card were at the time they were downloaded.

Users should be very careful as to where they download the Calibre plug-ins from.  Our Chinese friends seem to have multiple sites.  Avoid any website with "epub" in the domain name.  Use Apprentice Alf's links here.

keriflur

Just sayin'...

If you're stripping DRM because you're worried about software not working down the line, why are you tying yourself to Calibre?  It's software, after all, and freeware at that.  And you're sticking your credit card number into it.

There are other ways to strip DRM, such as with python applets (do they call them applets when they're python?), that don't require an active installation of either Calibre or ADE.  I'm surprised the many very tech-savvy guys in this forum aren't using the scripts to remove DRM.

**Usual warning that DRM stripping is illegal, so choose wisely.

bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

For me, the ebooks end up in Calibre, so using the plug-ins as part of the process saves a step. Hardly tied to it,   but once the epub is de-DRMed, what was used is a non-issue. Having access to a functional ADE install is the actual problem.

According to Apprentice Alf 's page, the  Calibre plug-ins are based on the very same  python-based scripts by i(heart) cabbages. Are you perhaps referring to some other Python scripts, Keri?

Calibre itself is written Python as well. With the source in hand, I'm not tied to a corporation to use and extend it as I see fit. Unlike ADE, one need not tie to the mothership for it to work. One of the joys of using open source software.

Speaking of which, you can see the inept key script retrieve the files from the ADE install. Those original scripts don't appear to alleviate the need for a functional ADE install.

http://pastie.org/1030386#32

If you have it working without pulling that key from ADE 1st, please let me know how!