Scribe
dfehling

Using Home Pages more to save the "N" button from excess usage

I am not thrilled with the new overusage of the "N" button with the update and I really miss the up arrow softkey. But, since it seems like we are stuck with it this way for a while (or forever), I decided to make more use of my home pages to save on having to hit the "N" button to get to my most used apps and library items.  I've got 3 of them after all, and have only been using the main one.

Does anyone know of a way to put web shortcuts on one of the home pages? That would allow me to avoid the "N" button for all but a few things. I'd be really happy if we could do that.

I wonder what the average lifespan of the "N" button is anyway? I wouldn't be surprised if in a few months we start hearing reports of "N" buttons sticking. They weren't originally designed to be used as much.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Attributed to Groucho Marx
Inspired Contributor
CaptainGuy

Re: Using Home Pages more to save the "N" button from excess usage

Yes, you can put a html page in your library (my files) and move it to the home page.  Trouble is, there is a bug in browser that barks about loading an HTML page unless there is a network connection.

7 & 2 and still playing with the new.
Scribe
dfehling
0 Kudos

CaptainGuy wrote:

Yes, you can put a html page in your library (my files) and move it to the home page.  Trouble is, there is a bug in browser that barks about loading an HTML page unless there is a network connection.

I meant is there a way to put one of my bookmarks under the Web button onto my home page?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Attributed to Groucho Marx
Distinguished Correspondent
Keystoneco
0 Kudos

Dfehling,

I don't know if you're dual booting, but I am and I use Dolphin HD and have bookmarks using Dolphin HD for my favorite web sites and have 5 tabs open running all the time.  Makes it seem more like a windows system than Android.  I love it!

Distinguished Correspondent
HumbleCorrespondent

dfehling wrote:

CaptainGuy wrote:

I meant is there a way to put one of my bookmarks under the Web button onto my home page?

I am not sure if this is what CG meant, but you could create a very basic web page that just displays something like, "Welcome to the Internet." Then create the link on the home page as CG describes. Then when you open that page, the browser opens, and you have access to your bookmarks. For something that simple, I believe MS Word can save as an html document, but I can't promise. I don't have access to Word right now. I'm typing on my NC.
That's just my opinion, you can take it for what it's worth, or just leave it alone.
Scribe
dfehling

HumbleCorrespondent wrote:

dfehling wrote:

CaptainGuy wrote:

I am not sure if this is what CG meant, but you could create a very basic web page that just displays something like, "Welcome to the Internet." Then create the link on the home page as CG describes. Then when you open that page, the browser opens, and you have access to your bookmarks. For something that simple, I believe MS Word can save as an html document, but I can't promise. I don't have access to Word right now. I'm typing on my NC.

Thank you for a brilliant solution! Laurels to you both. I took it a couple of steps further and created a Word doc with all my favorite links, saved it as an HTML file and put it in my DropBox folder. Then I browsed to the file on my NC and pressed and held to Add to Home. 

Now I can just tap that whenever I want to go to the web. I have all my favorites handy right away but can also browse to any other site on the web without ever having to press my "N" button! I can also easily add new links to my favorites doc from any of my computers or my NC. 

On another note - I also remembered about the back swipe on the black bar to go back to whatever previous screen I was on. That seems to still work in the new update. Also a button saver! 

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259

dfehling queried:

> I wonder what the average lifespan of the "N" button is anyway? <

Well, with all the new use it is getting, and based on the standard warranty, I'd guess 366 days.  :smileywink:

- Mark

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek

I'm really not sure why people are panicking over the "n" key.  I don't believe they're using a mechanical switch for that.  I'd be far more concerned about the power button that someone said they're using to get to Home instead (!!!!).  I've had the power button actually get stuck and malfunction on me.

A lot of the keyboards in modern laptops/notebooks use soft switches which are rated at a ridiculous number of keypresses before failure; I suspect this is the kind of switch used in the "n" button.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed
Frequent Contributor
Tim_J
0 Kudos

Quoting:

Thank you for a brilliant solution! Laurels to you both. I took it a couple of steps further and created a Word doc with all my favorite links, saved it as an HTML file and put it in my DropBox folder. Then I browsed to the file on my NC and pressed and held to Add to Home. 

Is there something I'm missing from the quoted info above?  I go into dropbox on the NC (running NC 1.4.1) and press and hold an item.  I don't see an option "Add to Home".

Also could someone expand on how to add a browser shortcut to the NC home page?  Thanks for your help.

Scribe
dfehling
0 Kudos

Tim_J -

Sorry, I wasn't very clear on that part. I went to the new html document I created in the DropBox folder in My Files (not within the DropBox App)  and there I was able to press and hold and get the option to Add to Home.

Frequent Contributor
Tim_J
0 Kudos

Thanks for the help.  That works!  Dropbox is a great tool!

Contributor
RM74

This might be slightly off topic, but here is another way to save some use on the "n" button.  If you go to your settings, then your home settings under Apps you will see a check box for "Media Shortcuts."  If you check this box you will have the soft touch keys show up across the bottom of your screen for Books, Newsstand, Movies, Music, and Apps.  Unfortunately there is no Web shortcut, but at least these help a little.

Inspired Contributor
BeachCatFan
0 Kudos

RM74 wrote:

This might be slightly off topic, but here is another way to save some use on the "n" button.  If you go to your settings, then your home settings under Apps you will see a check box for "Media Shortcuts."  If you check this box you will have the soft touch keys show up across the bottom of your screen for Books, Newsstand, Movies, Music, and Apps.  Unfortunately there is no Web shortcut, but at least these help a little.

Awesome, thanks!!

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

> Trouble is, there is a bug in browser that barks about loading an HTML page unless there is a network connection. <

CaptainGuy,

have you confirmed that they didn't fix this annoyance in 1.4.1?  It shouldn't complain, or pop up a connection box, unless there is some content it can't access w/o a network connection (i.e. it's not available locally).

Demanding to be connected, when accessing only local content, is (as you say) a bug. 

- Mark

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

CaptainGuy wrote:

CaptainGuy --- You are a pretty creative guy! (I remember all your work arounds for the gallery last summer.)  Thanks for the fix.  You have solved my problem! 

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,247
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

Mark_OB1 wrote:

> Trouble is, there is a bug in browser that barks about loading an HTML page unless there is a network connection. <

CaptainGuy,

have you confirmed that they didn't fix this annoyance in 1.4.1?  It shouldn't complain, or pop up a connection box, unless there is some content it can't access w/o a network connection (i.e. it's not available locally).

Demanding to be connected, when accessing only local content, is (as you say) a bug. 

- Mark

Not fixed in 1.4 (NT) or 1.4.1 (NC);  happens on every stored web page that accesses only local content.

In Android 2.2.3 on the Motorola Droid, and on the Acer A500, when the browser is first loaded, it gives the message, but not on subsequent page loads.  Seems reasonable.

This is the main reason why I am so down on B&N software in the Nooks.  It's one thing to not implement something I think should be implemented, or implemented a different way.  What I excorate B&N for, is screwing up existing, working software "because they know better", or in some cases, are just plain lazy (like not sorting the list of eMail folders).  This is the main reason I returned my first Nook Tablet (I was so disgusted with the lack of bug fixes).  I recently bought another one because battery life is so important to me, and because I intend to devote some effort to unlocking the boot loader, even though for my purposes an unrooted NT or NC meets my requirements.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Reader 2
Hemi345
0 Kudos

I'm not so much worried about the button breaking as much as i'm worried about the screen cracking around that button. As a past owner of a Palm Pre (1st gen), Palm put a hole in the glass touchscreen for a home button just like the NT's N button. After repeated presses, many owners started having problems with the glass cracking. I initially passed this off as abuse... i'm gentle on my gear so I was very surprised and disappointed when mine cracked a few short months into service. Palm acknowledged the problem, since the Pre 2 no longer has that button/hole in the glass. Maybe the glass quality is stronger on the NT, but this is in the back of my mind everytime i press that button. It would give me piece of mind if the menu arrow was added like my wife's NC (although i just read when she updates to the lastest rev, she'll be in the same N button situation i'm in).
Reader 2
Hemi345
0 Kudos

I just realized i posted this in the NC section. Oh well, maybe B&N will take note and give us the option to toggle on the arrow to bring up the menu instead of using the N button on both the NC and NT.
Contributor
Charkie
0 Kudos

It is a mechanical switch on my nc, with tactile response. And it will likely fail just like the power button did for you. Best to advoid using it more than necessary, imho.
Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

Ok so this is great! I like the html links doc idea. I put a "Favorites.html" file on my home page and I can now open it, which presents me with a small number of HTML buttons I can touch to go immediately to web-based items I like. Much easier than fishing out the browser.

It shows up as a grey book on my home desktop with the word "Favorites" on it. I could easily break this into individual html's, each with their own function, which would link directly to their destinations, making them act like apps. But they'd al be grey book icons. Does anyone know how the NC associates a cover or icon image with a doc? If I can do that, then I can put whatever icons I want on them and that would be *really* cool. :smileyhappy: