Inspired Wordsmith
MatthewH

Re: WMA Audiobook incompatibility

Good point phoneboy, WMA isn't playable on ipads, or linux boxen, I'm not sure about MacOS but I think third-party software is needed fir WMA on MacOS -- it is a Microsoft proprietary format. Anybody remember Plays For Sure, Redmond's failed attempt some years back to get makers of portable music players to use WMA and the Microsoft DRM system? The market preferred non-DRM MP3. The only vendor I know to have had any success selling copy-protected music files was Apple, and even they eventually started selling music without DRM.
Remember: the big print giveth, the small print taketh away.
New User
guans
0 Kudos

A few facts:

1. the iPad does play audiobooks in .wma format. My wife downloads them using the Overdrive Media Console app (free). They then play using the same app. No problems.

2. The B&N sales person who helped me decide on an NC assured me it would handle all the standard audiobook formats from my libraary, just likemy ife's iPad. I suspect she was mis informed by B&N corporate, or perhaps she was misled by B&N's deceptive user manual wording. Specifically . . . 

3. My NC manual strongly implies that the NC will handle .wma files when it says "Your NOOK features two medial palyers:  -Music - a music player that plays MP3 and other standard audio formats . .  ." The .wma fornat is a standard audio format.

4. I have found no spec for the NC that lists the supported audio formats - so one cannot even speculate by procdss of elimiation that .wma is not supported.

5. I stopped contacting NOOK support afrter receiving an email that in several hundred patronizing word said  that any problems I had were my own darn fault - so go pound sand.

Now, some personal preferences

I don't like the Applesphere(the iPad is my wife's).  but I really don't  like a deceptively marketed product like the NC. And I really really don't like the contempt for customer attitude I got back from B&N technical support when I contacted them.

So when my on year obligation to subscribe to NYTimes through B&N runs out, the NC will go into the dustbin of failed techological products and I'll look for a cheap player that actually does handle standard audo formats.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

guans wrote:
4. I have found no spec for the NC that lists the supported audio formats - so one cannot even speculate by procdss of elimiation that .wma is not supported.

I know you've already got the nook, but so you'll know for future devices, the device's main page on BN.com usually lists the supported file types.

Here's the page for the nook color:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/nook-color-barnes-noble/1100437663

This page lists the supported music file types as MP3, MP4, and AAC.

Frequent Contributor
stolenmoment

guans wrote:

A few facts:

[ ... ]

3. My NC manual strongly implies that the NC will handle .wma files when it says "Your NOOK features two medial palyers:  -Music - a music player that plays MP3 and other standard audio formats . .  ." The .wma fornat is a standard audio format.

Sorry, but WMA is proprietary, not a standard.  MS reserves the right to change it at its whim, like it does with Word and other proprietary formats.  Codecs have been reverse-engineered, but that doesn't make it a standard.

This has been company policy at MS for decades.  Don't be misled.

New User
Intruder97
0 Kudos

I have read all this and just now downloaded a wma audiobook from my library - then I connected my nook and selected the wma folder and moved it over to the nook.  It took a bit of looking but I found the audio book under Apps, then Music Player.  It works fine with wma audio books.  Try it - good luck.

Inspired Correspondent
bugeek
0 Kudos

IPad doesn't handle protected WMA either but most of the inexpensive Sansa by Sandisk do