Contributor
hyrb
0 Kudos

WMA Audiobook incompatibility

I bought the Nook Color because I "could download books from my Library:"

By far, most of the audiobooks are WMA, which the NC can't play.

I know many others have been equally mislead

Time for an Ipad.

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat

Re: WMA Audiobook incompatibility

hyrb wrote:

I bought the Nook Color because I "could download books from my Library:"

By far, most of the audiobooks are WMA, which the NC can't play.

I know many others have been equally mislead

Time for an Ipad.

Audio books are not the same as books. The manual is explicit in what types of formats will work with the Nook color, so nobody has been misled except through their own misunderstanding and misexpectation.

A lot of libraries use the Overdrive console for checking out and listening to audio books on your home computer.

Have fun with your iPad.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Frequent Contributor
cbtengr

Be sure to read the specs before buying that ipad.  Don't want you to be mislead again.

Correspondent
IzzysNook
0 Kudos

I have several library audiobooks on my NC.  I simply use software (purchased, relatively inexpensive) to remove DRM and convert to mp3.

Frequent Contributor
lovemyjazz
0 Kudos

well at the two libraries i use there are lots of mp3 audio books and thats what needs to be used on the color nook..

granted there arent as many but  i have found plenty to interest me !!!

Frequent Contributor
shelli74
0 Kudos

You bought a $250 nookcolor to listen to Audiobooks?? There are tons of cheap music players you could have bought for doing that. For the rare occasion I might want an audiobook on my nc I know I can easily convert the file to work. But I bought my nc to read books, paid for and free and in the 11/2 months I have had it I have downloaded about a dozen library books from my library overdrive account.
Frequent Contributor
shelli74
0 Kudos

About being mislead, did you read the specs and see that it says plays wma files?
Contributor
hyrb
0 Kudos

The book (actually 2) are only available. from my library, in WMA.

Contributor
hyrb
0 Kudos

page 302, in the manual, lists WMA along with other formats. I guess that threw me off.

Contributor
hyrb
0 Kudos

Thanks. I'll check it out.

IzzysNook wrote:

I have several library audiobooks on my NC.  I simply use software (purchased, relatively inexpensive) to remove DRM and convert to mp3.

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

hyrb wrote:

page 302, in the manual, lists WMA along with other formats. I guess that threw me off.

What manual you are talking about with page 302? The nook color manual is only 114 pages.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Correspondent
IzzysNook
0 Kudos

WMA isn't referenced anywhere in the NC users manual, which only mentions the file formats that are compatible -- mp3, etc.

Maybe B&N didn't want to support it in order to sell more books, who knows.  My local library has ten times more audiobooks in .wma format than .mp3 and the benefits in using the public library as a resource are too numerous to ignore.

As for buying a separate device that does support .wma, why should I?  It's more convenient for me to have everything on one device and not have to keep track of what's on two.  I haven't seen a need to alter my NC yet (although one day I might), but as long as I can convert non-compatible files to those that will work on the NC, I'm a happy camper.

Contributor
luvsnow
0 Kudos

RealPlayer has a section that will convert wma music to mp3 and the whole program is free.

Library's have more audiobooks because that is all some publishers and authors will allow.  They are the ones that decide if an ebook is available.  I just asked our library this question. 

Cheers

Wordsmith
robert93
0 Kudos

The NookColor does NOT support WMA (Windows Media-Audio) The NookColor Manual clearly states what it Does support, WMA is NOT Listed. 

The reason NookColor does not support WMA?? that would be one more thing to have to get licensed through Microsoft, for a fee, driving up the price of the device.  Personally I thought there were too many end user agreements on the thing already.

Misled?  Not sure where you got that manual saying the nook color supported WMA, but none of the copies i have say that.

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

It does, however, support Ogg Vorbis (.ogg audio files), even if the official specs don't mention it.

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Correspondent
IzzysNook
0 Kudos

luvsnow wrote:

RealPlayer has a section that will convert wma music to mp3 and the whole program is free.

iTunes does as well.  Not, however, if they are copy protected.

New User
Rubberhead
0 Kudos

Contributor
InaGT
0 Kudos

can you explain how your were able to listen audiobooks on NC? I have checked out a couple and i am using my laptop to listen to them.

Thanks!!!!

Distinguished Correspondent
Keystoneco
0 Kudos

InaGT,

Using Overdrive, you can download MP3 audiobooks from your public library and listen to them on your Nook Color.You just need to specify the format you want when you search on the library site.  There are many threads here on the topic.

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy

Um.. Nobody mentioned that the Ipad does not support WMA format either

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown