Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: HD/+ on sale, but where's the eInk love?

[ Edited ]

whiteginger wrote:

keriflur wrote:

Given the discontinuation of Nook for Mac/PC (now confirmed), I don't think odds are our favor for a new eink device, period.

Confirmed? I didn't even know this was a possibility.  I did a Google search to find the link below--sorry if I missed it somewhere on the boards.  

I'm a bit confused by this.  What does "(pre Windows 8) versions"  mean?  And if the Nook for PC app is discontinued, how will sideloading books to the NOOK from my computer be possible? 

No support for Pre-Win8 means that they are still supporting the Nook for Windows 8 app, just not Nook for PC (which worked on XP, Vista, and Win7) or Nook for Mac.  So if you own a PC that's not running Win8, or if you own a mac, no support for you.  :smileysad:

Your current installation of Nook for PC/Mac will continue to work for as long as it continues to work, so you'll still be able to sideload using that app.  You can also use NookStudy, which is still available for download and install on B&N's website (though if you want it, get it soon - the forum is gone, so I suspect the app will be gone soon too).  A third, not-as-nice option is to download the books directly from your nook library on the website.

As always, it's a good idea to download all your books to your computer as soon as you can after purchase, so that you always have a downloaded backup.  Don't expect B&N to always have a copy available for download.

The alternate option is to simply not buy from B&N - you can buy from Google, Kobo, Sony, Diesel, or anyone else that sells epubs that use Adobe DRM, or DRM-free epubs, then use ADE to sideload (or, if your device is already initialized with ADE, just drag and drop the epub files onto the device).

Frequent Contributor
rbrenart
0 Kudos

What a dissapointment. I was really looking forward to buying the newest version fo the NSTG if it came out this year, but everything is pointing towards the B&N ecosystem drying up. I wonder if I'm making a mistake everytime a buy an ebook from B&N now a days as it will be that much harder to access in the future when I'm on my next device.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

rbrenart wrote:

What a dissapointment. I was really looking forward to buying the newest version fo the NSTG if it came out this year, but everything is pointing towards the B&N ecosystem drying up. I wonder if I'm making a mistake everytime a buy an ebook from B&N now a days as it will be that much harder to access in the future when I'm on my next device.

A lot of the devices out there support ADE, which should allow you to read any B&N purchase ebook on them.  You'd need to sideload them, but after that they should work like any ebook on that device.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

whiteginger wrote:

keriflur wrote:

Given the discontinuation of Nook for Mac/PC (now confirmed), I don't think odds are our favor for a new eink device, period.

Confirmed? I didn't even know this was a possibility.  I did a Google search to find the link below--sorry if I missed it somewhere on the boards.  

I'm a bit confused by this.  What does "(pre Windows 8) versions"  mean?  And if the Nook for PC app is discontinued, how will sideloading books to the NOOK from my computer be possible? 

I'm confused by that they're still linking to a story about a June 1 update to the NST, which hasn't happened, not to mention the reference to a version 1.5, when they're currently on version 1.2 something.  Why would they jump to 1.5?  If it was a major upgrade that required a bigger jump than to 1.3, would the go to 2.0?  

DeanGibson
Topics: 93
Kudos: 2,273
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

I'm confused by that they're still linking to a story about a June 1 update to the NST, which hasn't happened, not to mention the reference to a version 1.5, when they're currently on version 1.2 something.  Why would they jump to 1.5?

Because the whole story (including the image of the "B&N internal instruction sheet"), was probably bogus.  If it was, and I were B&N, I'd be hiring investigaters to see if the bogus "instruction sheet" came from an employee of a competitor.

Nooks: 2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted;
    2 HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 (Android 4.0.4) rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Frequent Contributor
rfortson

Well, back on topic, I'd just like to say that my first week and a half with my new HD+ has really rekindled my enjoyment of the Nook universe. So much so, that I'm selling my Transformer tablet and my Nook Color (and N2A card). Nook books and enhanced content, Zinio magazines, Google Play books and magazines, even Kindle books all on one device, along with a gorgeous screen, lots of tablet functions, and 32GB+64GB of memory. What's not to love?
Contributor
heavyheel
0 Kudos

I just ordered the HD+ this morning.  I just couldn't resist the price.  I started with the N1E and then moved to the Tablet.  Last summer I bought a Nexus 7 and have really enjoyed it.  My mom now has the N1E and my wife the Tablet. I also own a KPW and it's a really good device as well.

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

I agree--you've described it all.

Inspired Correspondent
Fat_Old_Guy

Re: WOW! Nook HD 7 $129 & Nook HD + $149

[ Edited ]

I don't know about other people, but even if B&N stopped making tablets tommorow, I would still feel I got a damn good deal on a really nice piece of hardware.

Don't get me wrong, I would hate to see that happen, but it would not change the fact that for the money I spent there is no way I could have gotten anything even close to my Nook HD+ hardware wise.

Worst case scenario is I would have to root it for future app content from the play store etc, which is no big deal, my Nook color is running ICS fine, the HD+ would do so flawlessly.

Frequent Contributor
eaglewomanEP

I see so many disgruntled people hear complaining about the NOOK. some seem to want it to do every thing, including the dishes in the sink. I boughtit for a reader to read books- its fine it does the other things- and most of them you only need topush a button, for some that is too hard.Goodgle play and a the other google stuff is there if you want it.I'm not interested in google, but I am on my 2nd NOOK and love them both and both still work fine and does everything I bought it for and then some.

Wordsmith
mbratch

This whole B&N scenario makes me sad.

I bought a Nook Color when it first came out. I really liked it. I still have it and it still works great. Sure there are lots of problems reported on forums, but that's true with any technical device. At about the same time, my wife got a Kindle Fire (first generation). She likes it, still has it, but laments the fact that you can't even organize your books with it: no book shelves or collections. Just sort the whole pile by author or title is about all you have.

The Kindle Fire was much later to market than the Nook Color. Yet Amazon has gotten the main share of press. I don't understand why this is. When NC came out, I rarely saw a commercial or editorial write up. When the Kindle Fire came out, it seemed pundits were hailing it as if it were the first color eReader and first inexpensive color tablet. Overall, Amazon seemed to really get all the attention. I don't know whether it's because Amazon has been a darling of the technical industry and B&N has been, before the Nook series, "just a bookstore" for the most part. But I found this whole situation somewhat unfair somehow, and wondered whether this is, at least in part, a key reason B&N hasn't been able to sustain this business.

When the $129 price on the Nook Color HD hit, I decided I was going to spring for one. I was, like others, concerned about B&N not supporting these in the long run, but at $129 it's a tough deal to pass up. So I've been playing with it and find that it has exceeded my expectations for what it does. They took it a step closer to being more traditionally Android-like in setup, etc, but kept the great book organizational features and dolled up the GUI. Very nice indeed.

Ironically, my wife now has Nook Color envy. She looked up the Kindle Fire HD and still no book organization features. It doesn't even let you set a background image. (Really?!)  I helped her hunt down some 3rd party apps to do collections but they were all junk, quite frankly. Not finding all the books, clunky interface that didn't really meld with the rest of the device, etc. We even entertained the notion of getting her a Nook Color HD (for another $129) and running the Kindle Reader on it (yes, it's available for the NC HD and it works great). But it still doesn't translate into colletions/organization for Amazon format eBooks.

So here we sit: a great little 7" HD tablet from B&N with great eReader app features that seem to be on fire sale, and another 7" tablet that just sucks, frankly, as an eReader but gets the limelight.

Life just isn't fair I guess. :smileytongue:

Mercury_Glitch

That's been the story with the Nook alright.  Good device, usually beats Amazon to features, but they just don't get the word out.  I feel a lot of the blame is in the marketing, there are just not that many ads for any of the Nooks aside from when they launch a new one, but even those fizzle away. 

Amazon also had established the Kindle as an ereader for years.  That B&N reportedly has 25% of the ebook market is pretty impressive when you consider how much longer Amazon has been in the ereader game. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.