Inspired Wordsmith
luvbooksCM

WOW! Nook HD 7 $129 & Nook HD + $149

Such fantastic prices! I've had several friends & coworkers looking at my Nook and considering one for themselves. This new sale price should definetly win over anyone on the fence! One of my coworkers was comparing their newly purchased mini with my Nook HD 7 and all agreed that the Nook had the superior screen. They were even impressed by the user interface saying they liked the Nook HD set-up better than IOS. Plus, when I told them that B&N added the Google Play store a few weeks ago, they were even more impressed.

I need to send them all a text wit the new sale pricing and see how many make the leap today!

Thanks B&N for such a fantastic product/hardware and for opening up the Google Play Store for those who wish to use it. I, myself, am happy with B&N's offerings, but knowing the choice is  there is cherry on top!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Rignes

Re: WOW! Nook HD 7 $129 & Nook HD + $149

If I didn't already own an HD+ I'd go buy one now.  Maybe I can talk my wife in to upgrading her Nook Tablet at this price point.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

HD/+ on sale, but where's the eInk love?

While the sale on the HD/+ is great, I'm starting to really wonder if B&N plans to continue its eInk line.  The NSTG is a good device, but it was falling behind when Amazon launched the KPW, and it's only continued to do so with the launch of the Kobo Aura. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Inspired Wordsmith
luvbooksCM

Re: HD/+ on sale, but where's the eInk love?

I agree about the eink devices. I still have my original dual screen 3g eink model and continue to use it almost daily for the past 3 years . It has never failed me, although the original batter no longer holds it's charge very well.

The Nook HD 7 is the first "upgrade" I've made (mainly due to the outstanding sales pricing and I liked the new design, similar to my Nook1E), opting not to upgrade when the color/tablet/nst(g) came out. I was completely satisfied with my Nook 1E......but....I'm so glad I added the HD to my Nook lineup. I know I won't regret that decision. While I'm enjoying the pricing on such premium hardware as the latest Nook offerings, it's in the back of my mind if this is the end of the Nook line as we know it. I'm almost tempted to purchase a 2nd as a back up just in case B&N no longer makes Nook hardware. Such a shame, too, because I think they really put a lot of thought into the user interface, design and specs of their newest Nook tablets. Another friend has the Nexus 7, and I don't like it. It's kind of narrow and I don't like the user inerface, plus the design is uninspiring.

Here's hoping Nook hardware continues in the far future.

MacMcK1957

I've also thought about buying a backup NST just in case B&N decides to discontinue it in the future. Pain-in-the ass shelving process aside, I absolutely love it. Easy one-handed reading, long battery life, easy expandability with the SD card. I have an iPad so I have no need for another tablet, but for pure reading you can't beat the NST.
keriflur

I think one of two things is going on - either B&N has decided not to release an eink device this year, or they are releasing a device that's a step up from the competition and have run into either hardware or software issues with it.  I hope for B&N's sake it's the latter, because if it's the former, they're effectively digging their own grave when it comes to the ebook business.

New User
Dr-DTX
0 Kudos

I started to de-Nook myself a few weeks ago because B&N is doing so poorly financially relative to Amazon, just to pick one competitor.  Now I have a windows 8 phone and after several days of struggling to get a clear answer(which I have failed to do), it seems clear that no Nook for Windows 8 phones is forthcoming.  Therefore, I'm going Amazon with great disappointment.  I really wanted B&N to prosper, but seems not to be the case, at least in the near term.  BTW, Verizon or Nokia preloaded Kindle for Windows 8 phone on my device.  'Nuf said.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923
0 Kudos

BN's always taken some flack on their eInk devices because their refresh in Spring meant that Amazon's fall refresh always was a small step up (hardware-wise) because of the extra development time. I'm wondering if BN is trying to transition to a fal refresh for the eInk line as well.

keriflur

flyingtoastr wrote:

BN's always taken some flack on their eInk devices because their refresh in Spring meant that Amazon's fall refresh always was a small step up (hardware-wise) because of the extra development time. I'm wondering if BN is trying to transition to a fal refresh for the eInk line as well.

Well, I hate to say it, but I don't know that I'm going to wait to find out.  They publicly stated that they wanted to shift focus away from hardware, and have kept mum about a new device, which leads me to suspect there is no new device coming. If this is their strategy, to release a new device in the fall, then they better start leaking specs or something, anything, to give hope to their customers.

Wordsmith
Tim40744

keriflur wrote:

flyingtoastr wrote:

Well, I hate to say it, but I don't know that I'm going to wait to find out.  They publicly stated that they wanted to shift focus away from hardware, and have kept mum about a new device, which leads me to suspect there is no new device coming. If this is their strategy, to release a new device in the fall, then they better start leaking specs or something, anything, to give hope to their customers.

I agree completely. B&N's actions strongly suggest (to me, at least) that they're leaving the hardware business. If that's not their intent, they should definitely have an "on purpose" leak of some sort to keep their customers from straying to other meadows.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

We bought a HD for my wife today. We only got the 8Gig unit since she's nowhere near that on her 16Gig NT. If she needs more memory we can always get a microSD card for it. With such great prices, we actually had to stand in line in order to get one.
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
keriflur
0 Kudos

kamas716 wrote:
We bought a HD for my wife today. We only got the 8Gig unit since she's nowhere near that on her 16Gig NT. If she needs more memory we can always get a microSD card for it. With such great prices, we actually had to stand in line in order to get one.

I'll be curious to see if the HD/+ devices sell out.  At these prices, I'd imagine there are a lot of folks ready to buy.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

I'd be surprised if that happened.  I'd have to check to be sure, but the last I remember the warehouses all had tens of thousands of each HD/+ in stock.  The stores themselves will have fewer units on hand (quite a bit fewer), but I'd be surprised if most of them sold out.

I haven't been in to work in the last week and a bit, due to my uncle passing, but I suspect the stores also got a decent shipment of HD/+s in.  Probably based on Mother's Day sales.

Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

keriflur: Well, I hate to say it, but I don't know that I'm going to wait to find out.  They publicly stated that they wanted to shift focus away from hardware, and have kept mum about a new device, which leads me to suspect there is no new device coming. If this is their strategy, to release a new device in the fall, then they better start leaking specs or something, anything, to give hope to their customers.

While I do think the tablet market is a losing battle for B&N and they should either get out of it or follow bobstro's advice and imitate Google's practice of letting someone else manufacture the devices, the eink market is different. I think they would be making a grave mistake if they abandoned it. I agree that if they're not planning to, they really should be saying something.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

TnTexas wrote:

keriflur: Well, I hate to say it, but I don't know that I'm going to wait to find out.  They publicly stated that they wanted to shift focus away from hardware, and have kept mum about a new device, which leads me to suspect there is no new device coming. If this is their strategy, to release a new device in the fall, then they better start leaking specs or something, anything, to give hope to their customers.

While I do think the tablet market is a losing battle for B&N and they should either get out of it or follow bobstro's advice and imitate Google's practice of letting someone else manufacture the devices, the eink market is different. I think they would be making a grave mistake if they abandoned it. I agree that if they're not planning to, they really should be saying something.

The big purported leak of inside information was they were considering getting out of the tablet hardware business but not the eInk business.

Obviously if they announce now that they are going to introduce a new eInk device in the XMas cycle, it will reduce sales of the Nook Simple Touch & Glowlight even more than saying silent on whether they will introduce a new eInk device may do.

keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Actually, the articles didn't specify tablet or eink, they simply stated "hardware", which can mean tablet, eink, or both.  I'm not talking about the Microsoft sale rumor, which referenced no longer making tablets, but the earlier statements, from December, that B&N was shifting focus away from hardware.

Yes, they may lose some device sales now, but how does that compare to the loss of ebook customers to other devices, and thus other stores?  Right now, if I didn't already own a nook, I would buy either a KPW or an Aura.  I wouldn't even look at the nooks because they're outdated.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Delaying an eink device until Christmas would be unwise for many reasons. They've established a spring release. Better to stick as near to that as they can and slowly move to where they want than to do a sudden drastic shift.
keriflur
0 Kudos

Mercury_Glitch wrote:
Delaying an eink device until Christmas would be unwise for many reasons. They've established a spring release. Better to stick as near to that as they can and slowly move to where they want than to do a sudden drastic shift.

Given the discontinuation of Nook for Mac/PC (now confirmed), I don't think odds are our favor for a new eink device, period.

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

Given the discontinuation of Nook for Mac/PC (now confirmed), I don't think odds are our favor for a new eink device, period.

Confirmed? I didn't even know this was a possibility.  I did a Google search to find the link below--sorry if I missed it somewhere on the boards.  

I'm a bit confused by this.  What does "(pre Windows 8) versions"  mean?  And if the Nook for PC app is discontinued, how will sideloading books to the NOOK from my computer be possible? 

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

And if the Nook for PC app is discontinued, how will sideloading books to the NOOK from my computer be possible?

Go to your library from the "My Nook" link at the top right of your screen, and click on any book cover that you own, or even just hold the mouse over it.  You will see a "Download" option that you can click to save the EPUB file to your PC, and then you can just copy the file to the Nook using Windows Explorer.