Reply
Inspired Contributor
maxsideburn
Posts: 99
Registered: ‎04-19-2010
0 Kudos

Wallpaper question

Ok...when I first got my NT I was able to make some wallpapers that were 750x1024, drop them into the Wallpapers folder on my NT's main memory, then going to the settings>home screen>and set wallpaper and I could select a wallpaper and it would just allow me to SET it.

 

Now when I try the exact same thing it always wants me to crop the image and it always looks like crap. What's up?

DeanGibson
Posts: 2,186
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,247
Solutions: 18
Registered: ‎04-12-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Wallpaper question


maxsideburn wrote:

... it always wants me to crop the image and it always looks like crap. What's up?



"Progress".

 

I too am annoyed by it.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Distinguished Correspondent
Francisco1844
Posts: 99
Registered: ‎11-20-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Wallpaper question


maxsideburn wrote:

Now when I try the exact same thing it always wants me to crop the image and it always looks like crap. What's up?


Didyou try expanding the crop area to fill the entire screen? Just went over that yesterday. Don't know why the default is to try and crop, but clicking on the edge of the crop allows you to increase the size until it covers the entire screen.

 

DeanGibson
Posts: 2,186
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,247
Solutions: 18
Registered: ‎04-12-2011

Re: Wallpaper question


Francisco1844 wrote:

Didyou try expanding the crop area to fill the entire screen? Just went over that yesterday. Don't know why the default is to try and crop, but clicking on the edge of the crop allows you to increase the size until it covers the entire screen.

 



Unfortunately, the size of the wallpaper file should not be square, but the crop tool is square.  I don't know what genius designed that.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
Posts: 990
Registered: ‎11-18-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Wallpaper question


DeanGibson wrote:

Francisco1844 wrote:

Didyou try expanding the crop area to fill the entire screen? Just went over that yesterday. Don't know why the default is to try and crop, but clicking on the edge of the crop allows you to increase the size until it covers the entire screen.

 



Unfortunately, the size of the wallpaper file should not be square, but the crop tool is square.  I don't know what genius designed that.


When you swipe to both sides of the desktop, it does use the full square image.

 

The wallpapers do seem to sit differently on the NT and I wonder if the new little bar with the quick shopping links is messing up the sizing/placement.

Inspired Wordsmith
robotecture
Posts: 862
Registered: ‎09-29-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Wallpaper question

First thing I did when I got the nook tablet: figured out how to turn that new media shopping bar off... Go to settings-->app settings-->home-->general home settings-->uncheck the "media shortcuts"... After that, it's cleaner... Schwa is right, when you design your wallpaper, you need to proportion your image as that square rather than the screen proportions. This is because the background image pans side to side a bit as you move to the right and left home pages...
Inspired Contributor
maxsideburn
Posts: 99
Registered: ‎04-19-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Wallpaper question

yes, but what I'm saying is that when I first got my Nook Tablet I didn't have to do that.

 

I'd make a wallpaper 750x1024 (accounting for the extra space to the sides), drop it into the Wallpapers folder on the NT, and when I'd change the wallpaper it would work exactly like the built in wallpapers, no cropping.

 

Now all of a sudden it wants to crop all of them...

Contributor
LovelyDream
Posts: 14
Registered: ‎11-17-2011

Re: Wallpaper question

Found this on a different site, haven't tried it yet...but maybe it might help???

 

I played around with this in Photoshop for several hours the day I got my Nook Tablet. I found that the following dimensions will size your wallpaper images perfectly:

840 px wide x 1024 px tall

It's easy to test. Try sizing your wallpaper to these exact dimensions and copy them to your device. Then go to the *stock* Nook home screen. Press and hold to bring up the Change Wallpaper option. Navigate to your newly sized wallpaper image and select it. If it's like mine you won't even be given an option to size/crop. Like the stock wallpapers, it will only give you the option to Save or Discard because it's already sized correctly.

When using other dimensions I was always given the option to crop. 

Hope this helps someone.

DeanGibson
Posts: 2,186
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,247
Solutions: 18
Registered: ‎04-12-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Wallpaper question

This is really useful information (at least for me), and I laureled you for providing it.

 

Of course, the NC wallpaper feature handled wider images, so anything 1024 tall and 600-1800 wide would work.  Ah, progress ...

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Inspired Wordsmith
robotecture
Posts: 862
Registered: ‎09-29-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Wallpaper question

Agreed, thanks for the info, lovelydream!
Inspired Contributor
theoak
Posts: 66
Registered: ‎04-10-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Wallpaper question

lovelydream, I have also laureled you for this one. Thanks!!

*** He who dies with the most toys, still dies***
Frequent Contributor
LoganK
Posts: 172
Registered: ‎11-08-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Wallpaper question

I have never made custom wallpapers (just use the crop feature), but wouldn't this imply you can now choose which part of the extra-wide wallpaper you see (rather than just, presumably, the center bit)? I'm just trying to understand what part of the change is actually a step backward...

DeanGibson
Posts: 2,186
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,247
Solutions: 18
Registered: ‎04-12-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Wallpaper question


LoganK wrote:

I have never made custom wallpapers (just use the crop feature), but wouldn't this imply you can now choose which part of the extra-wide wallpaper you see (rather than just, presumably, the center bit)? I'm just trying to understand what part of the change is actually a step backward...


In one wallpaper I created for the NC, it was 1024 tall by 1800 wide, which included three 1024x600 images glued together in a panorama.

 

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Inspired Wordsmith
robotecture
Posts: 862
Registered: ‎09-29-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Wallpaper question

[ Edited ]
Deangibson: so just to confirm, when you used an extra wide image on the NC, does that image work so that it spreads the whole image over the three panes of the home page? I.e. were you able to have each pane of the home screen show a different image when you swiped left and right?
DeanGibson
Posts: 2,186
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,247
Solutions: 18
Registered: ‎04-12-2011

Re: Wallpaper question


robotecture wrote:
DeanGibson: so just to confirm, when you used an extra wide image on the NC, does that image work so that it spreads the whole image over the three panes of the home page? I.e. were you able to have each pane of the home screen show a different image when you swiped left and right?


Yes, exactly !!  I did that for several wallpaper files, which displayed as you describe.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Inspired Wordsmith
robotecture
Posts: 862
Registered: ‎09-29-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Wallpaper question

THAT would be cool... Hope they can get that to work on the Tablet...
Contributor
Flamberge
Posts: 18
Registered: ‎11-09-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Wallpaper question


LovelyDream wrote:

Found this on a different site, haven't tried it yet...but maybe it might help???

 

I played around with this in Photoshop for several hours the day I got my Nook Tablet. I found that the following dimensions will size your wallpaper images perfectly:

840 px wide x 1024 px tall

It's easy to test. Try sizing your wallpaper to these exact dimensions and copy them to your device. Then go to the *stock* Nook home screen. Press and hold to bring up the Change Wallpaper option. Navigate to your newly sized wallpaper image and select it. If it's like mine you won't even be given an option to size/crop. Like the stock wallpapers, it will only give you the option to Save or Discard because it's already sized correctly.

When using other dimensions I was always given the option to crop. 

Hope this helps someone.


Thank you so much for this. This was driving me crazy! I don't know why, but the wallpapers won't work the same way as they did on the NC, so thus far I haven't been able to make any size other than 840 x 1024 to bypass the cropping.

 

One thing I noticed is that even the cropping is different on the NT. It looks the same at first, but the results are different. I had a lot of wallpapers that I found online that I had cropped on the NC using the wallpaper function on there. While I lost some of the wallpaper, it was still perfectly usable. But for some reason, when I do the same crop on the NT, the end result is much more zoomed in.

 

This makes it so that a wallpaper with a subject situated right in the center that would display great on the NC will be cut off on the top and bottom on the NT due to the massively zoomed-in image.  Compared side by side, I definitely notice a difference. Even though the top and bottom were included in the cropping square, I can definitely tell that some is missing on the NT, and not just hiding behind the menu bar. Rest assured though that resizing/cropping images on your PC to match the 840 x 1024 size will cause the wallpaper to display normally, without oddly cutting off the top and bottom. Thanks again!

Reader 4
RaisinToast
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎10-05-2012

Re: Wallpaper question

It took me about 3 hours, but I finally figured out how to create any wallpaper I want on my Nook HD+  First, I had to put a file transfer application on my MacBook Pro.  MyNook did not load properly and did not work on my laptop.  So, I found "http://www.android.com/filetransfer/" and loaded it on my Mac with no problem at all.  I could not find the "Wallpaper" file after plugging in my Nook HD+ with the USB cable to my Mac.  However, there is a file called "Pictures."  I opened the file and added pictures from my computer by dragging and dropping into the Android File Transfer Application from my Finder.  Then, on my Nook HD+, I looked in my Gallery to see if they transferred.  They transferred fine and were in a new folder called "Pictures" in my "Gallery" application on my Nook.  Now for sizing the pictures so that they don't look like crap on the Nook HD+.  Hopefully you have a program on your computer like Photoshop.  Open the images you want to use as your Nook wallpaper in Photoshop.  Resize the image to 840x1024 (Option/Command together, then press the letter i) Unclick "Constrain proportions."  Resize to 840 Width and 1024 Height.  Open a "New" canvas in Photoshop.  Proportion the size to 1500 x 1829.  Drag and drop the image you want as your wallpaper onto the new large, blank canvas.  Save the file to your Desktop.  Drag and drop that file to your Wallpaper file on your Nook (in Pictures on the Android File Transfer Window).  Go to your Gallery on your Nook.  You should have your image on a white background in your Pictures Gallery.  Open the image.  Then when that stinkin' crop window pops up that we all despise and want to cuss at, we can place it over our smaller un-pixelated image, and when it is set as the wallpaper, it looks perfect.  I know, a lot of frickin' work, but hopefully Barnes & Noble will read this and realize that they screwed up royally with this one.  ANYONE should be able to easily and comfortably create any wallpaper they want on THEIR Nook!!!  TO B&N: Make this easier will you guys!!  I should not have had to do this much work to add images that I prefer as my wallpaper on my Nook HD+ and it makes your product seem highly inferior to most other tablets on the market.  Wake Up!  Now, create an upgrade to your operating system that makes wallpaper, among other things, easier to personalize.  If I had not had any experience with webdesign, and did not know how to read the file transfer protocol in the Android files, and had experience working with Photoshop, this would have been nearly impossible for someone else to figure out.  That is just plain wrong.  As for the person with the Wallpaper Question, I hope I was able to answer your question in detail.  Sorry, but I just have not found an easier way to personalize the wallpaper feature on the new Nook HD and Nook HD+ other than this method. - Susan Vaughn

Bibliophile
5ivedom
Posts: 3,544
Registered: ‎12-03-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Wallpaper question

Susan - two thumbs up.

 

That's really really impressive.

Reader 2
Beadknitter
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎11-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Wallpaper question

Wow! That is one complicated process! Thank you so much for figuring it out and sharing it with us step by step. I would have never been able to do that.:heart: