Inspired Contributor
sflawguy1
0 Kudos

We have Google Play Store, now what?

OK, we've got it.  What have/are you downloading?

I'm interested in the audiobook apps, I think I'll download Audible and Downpour.  This was the biggest hole in the BN app store for me.

I would be great to hear what others are getting, now that we can.

Matt

Bibliophile
bklvr896

Re: We have Google Play Store, now what?

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

Dang, I forgot about Downpour. I've gotten several free audiobooks from them.

Mostly I've gotten reading, library or book related apps because I'm basically just a reader.  I got Audible, Kindle, Dolphin and add ons, Zinio and Calibre Companion. I may have to get app killer. I don't play many games though I have purchased some through BN already and I'll keep using them for now when I do play. I also d/l comixology but haven't had time to play with it. More than happy with the few I got though hubby tells me I need more. Ack. I don't need all these media apps...I don't watch TV when I'm alone so I'm even less likely to watch anything on my device. I'd have to be pretty bored and I'm usually in the middle of a good book instead.

Distinguished Correspondent
junonia-shell
0 Kudos

Audible, Kindle, Calibre companion, comixology, and just because....HBO GO. Not interested in anything else at this time. I like my paid games from the nook store just fine.

bestem
0 Kudos

Shaky Tower  My sister had it on her phone, and I kept stealing her phone to play it one summer when we were both at my dad's for a week.  She then decided to delete it off her phone.  The next time I saw her she kept hiding her phone so I wouldn't download it again.  I'm happy to be able to play it myself.

If I could install apps from outside sources, I'd install the Humble Bundle app, and some of the game apps I got from them.  But I'm happy enough with Shaky Tower for now  =)

celandinehobbit
0 Kudos

Downloaded 'Shaky Tower' to try out. Thanks for the suggestion bestem:smileyhappy:

Compulsivereader - Is there an app to play audio books downloaded from other sources? I believe what I have is all mp3 and it's fine playing them as is, but having an app with different features (bookmarking, etc) would be nice. 

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

celandinehobbit wrote:

Downloaded 'Shaky Tower' to try out. Thanks for the suggestion bestem:smileyhappy:

Compulsivereader - Is there an app to play audio books downloaded from other sources? I believe what I have is all mp3 and it's fine playing them as is, but having an app with different features (bookmarking, etc) would be nice. 

Don't know yet. I haven't had time to play too much but I'll post if I find something.

Inspired Correspondent
jaquellae
0 Kudos

celandinehobbit wrote:

Try searching for "Smart Audiobook". I'm not to sure how well it'll work on the HD or HD+, since I don't have either, but I've used it on my Android phone. There's a free and paid version, so it's worth a try on the free version.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

jaquellae wrote:

celandinehobbit wrote:

Try searching for "Smart Audiobook". I'm not to sure how well it'll work on the HD or HD+, since I don't have either, but I've used it on my Android phone. There's a free and paid version, so it's worth a try on the free version.

I looked at that. It is rated highly but I thought I would wait and see what others had to say about different audiobook players.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

Don't officially "have it" yet ~ its not rolled out to my Nook Color, and I haven't upgraded yet ~ but I can tell you what they will be by looking at the apps that I have downloaded on my Android Player and from the Google Play store on my rooted Nook Color:

Video: In addition to Netflix, Youtube, Nook Video and Flixster (including downloads since the HD won't be rooted):

Crunchyroll, Viki, Funimation if it works (I think the incompatibility I experience is between the more limited NC video coprocessor hardware and Funimations encodes), HBO Go

Reading, in addition to Nook books and Overdrive: Wattpad, Kindle, Blio, FBreader

Manga: In addition to Nook Comics and GEN pdf's: Perfect Reader for golden age public domain comics, as far as manga, nothing, yet, JManga shut down

Social Media: SB Nation

Games, in addition to Angry Birds and the gems game from Nook apps: Vector Pinball.

Inspired Wordsmith
taosaur
0 Kudos

I've been running CM10 from SD for months and booting into stock only for magazines, so I'm taking this opportunity to see if the 2.1 update makes stock viable as a daily driver. I already have a lot of purchased and free apps in Play. Of those that did not work, the most disappointing are Google Voice (no VoIP calls or texting from my tablet, but I didn't do much of either) and Fancy Widgets (used this one all the time, but there are lots of alternatives). 

Of those that do work, my standbys are Mantano Reader (epubs), Perfect Viewer (cbr/cbz comics), Chrome signed in and synced w/ my desktop, and Unified Remote to use my tablet as a remote/touchpad for my PC. I keep thinking about switching back to Team Viewer in place of Unified Remote. Team Viewer is free for personal use and can be used over the internet with multiple machines (not just within your network like UR), but doesn't have all the app-specific and task-specific remotes of UR. Like many of my purchased Play apps, I got UR on sale.

For games, Zen Pinball HD is my standby--I've bought 3 tables in addition to the free one, and they each have great variety and depth of play. World of Goo is a fun physics puzzler, and Triple Town is a cute, simple, but addictive strategy game. 

I don't use my tablet much for music (my phone or PC handle that), but Google Play Music is awesome for streaming access to your own music collection, especially if you buy music from Google, which is about the only place I buy music anymore. Songza is also great for those "I don't know what I want to listen to" moments.

Calibre Companion has been mentioned, and it is my preferred way to get books into Mantano.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

I downloaded Cinema now because I had one preordered DVD with UV that could only be watched through this app. The DVD with a separate UV redemption code was picked up today, so I doubt I'll ever use this app again.

Also the Kindle app and Calibre companion, amazon MP3 and Listnote for for transcribing spoken lists to text.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Kindle App because have lots of books on it. I will still buy from B&N and Amazon both.

Shine Runner is a nice game. I've heard good things about -

Beautiful Widgets

SmartKey Keyboard

Swype

WhatsApp

Line

Inspired Scribe
orb9220

[ Edited ]

Been Google play on my Nook Color for over a year now.

1) Great no CC required as gift cards can be applied and used without a CC great for kids.
2) Don't forget the many local and regional apps. Like shopping,Weather,News. I even have a local library app for checking holds and returns due and such.
3) Adding google streets make for getting around easier. And with my Trimet Bus App can look up and save schedules of bus routes.

So check for those local apps for everything local as can add to the usability of your tablet.

I use Moon+ Reader app as the Pro version has many features like reading comics,PDF & epubs,mobi,etc... supports Dropbox also.

Google Play really opens the door for many other uses and functions and much better than the limited B&N Garden.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

If anybody needs a good email client with support for corporate MS Exchange, I recommend checking out Enhanced Email. 

Has a Google Apps package been identified for these devices? 

celandinehobbit
0 Kudos

Jaquellae and Compulsivereader - Thanks! The app looks good and as was mentioned, is highly rated. Seems you get the full version for 30 days as a trial before basic kicks in. The features list is quite extensive, too. Will download it later and let you know how it is. 

Wordsmith
AlbionRose

Frivolous one - 'Beach Buggy Blitz' driving game.

Graphics look wonderful on the HD screen....

Social one - Facebook Messenger App. Much easier to use than the desktop page for messeges. 

Entertainment (may just be UK) - BBCIplayer, BBCIplayer radio, 4OD and TVCatchup.

TVCatchup actually turns the Nook into a TV and plays all freeview TV channels.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

celandinehobbit wrote:

Jaquellae and Compulsivereader - Thanks! The app looks good and as was mentioned, is highly rated. Seems you get the full version for 30 days as a trial before basic kicks in. The features list is quite extensive, too. Will download it later and let you know how it is. 

yes, let us know! I'm looking forward to hearing what you think about it.

Inspired Wordsmith
taosaur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I left a 2-star review on Smart AudioBook Player after I tried it about a year ago:

"It couldn't tell one audiobook from the other, and was troublesome to skip or scan forward to the track and timestamp where I left off. It would pause when headphones were unplugged, but not resume when they were plugged back in."

I just use PowerAmp Pro for both music and audiobooks. It would be nice to have adjustable playback speed and bookmarking for multiple tracks, but I frequently fall asleep listening to audiobooks and have to find my place again, meaning that accurate seeking is more important than bookmarks for me.

PowerAmp also has a more modern interface and smarter library management, making it overall more pleasant for me to use. I'm sure a lot of Nook users might prefer a more kitschy look like Smart AudioBook Player. 

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

thanks tsaur..wonder if updates have fixed the issues you had with it.