New User
racbc
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Touch Web Browser no longer working

I used the web browser a couple weeks ago, and now it no longer works. I tried all sorts of combinations for URL, http://www.websitename, www.websitename or even google.com and all bring up 0 results.

I asked a couple people at the B&N store, and they said they did not even know a browser was in the device. I tried to enter a URL in the store demo units, and same result - no web page.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

The 1.1 update removed the browser (which never was an official feature anyway).

New User
racbc
0 Kudos

I was guessing that's what happened. I did like the use of it though - brief as it was. I understand why they may not want it, but I still found it useful to see the days news and financial info. I was not really trying to circumvent the bookstore - as probably the reason B&N did not want it.

New User
StephenL
0 Kudos

Re: Web browser enhancements for Nook Simple Touch?

Except that I have a choice. Kindle Touch DOES have a browser and plays MP3 and Audiobook. I know that these are not prime functions but if I need to check my e-mail I can. So why should I but a nook instead of a Kindle touch? Give me a reason instead of just brushing the question off.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005

StephenL wrote:

why should I but a nook instead of a Kindle touch? Give me a reason instead of just brushing the question off.

Not my job. If you want a Kindle, buy a Kindle. It's no difference to me. I don't work for B&N, and I don't have any B&N stock.

New User
racbc
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The reasons I prefer the Nook Touch over the Kindle Touch from what I determined when playing with the Kindle Touch on display (at a store) was 1) it was much slower to react to any touch input than the Nook 2)The page turns seemed quite slow and 3) each page turn did the black flash, whereas with the nook it does it every six pages when going forward, and each page backward. I may not seem like much, but the black flash every page on the Kindle becomes very annoying to me, and the delay in responsiveness also makes me a bit impatient. The ads on the Kindle might be interesting, but I would rather be without them. I read elsewhere the battery life on the Nook is better than the Kindle if comparing the same hours read each day. I understand that both Kindle and Nook say up to 2 months, but Kindle uses 1/2 hour per day, whereas Nook indicates 1 hour per day. It's not the persuading point, but it has a slight influence on my decision.   I also like the idea I can have up to 6 devices to have the same book on it.  I am not sure what the limit is with the Kindle. If EPUB on Nook is important, I don't know yet. I do own the Kindle Fire though, and found it to be quite good for content. If I could find out how to load the Nook Reader App on it, I would have all my bases covered! Since I have the Fire, I don't really need mp3 playback or audio books for the Nook, since I will be using it for what it is intended for - a book reader.

Reader 2
Darksear
0 Kudos

Wow.  Guy just wanted to know if B&N was going to provide a working browser in the future and got his head bit off.  Sure it's advertised as a simple touch device.  But, that doesn't mean it can't get more features in the future.  I can see having a news feeds app as well as maybe facebook, twitter and maybe a few games like sudoku, crosswords, and card and board games.  And that is in addition to a working browser.  Will B&N do these things?  Maybe.  Since it's competing not only with e-ink devices such as kindle, kobo and sony, but with ereading apps on smartphones and tablets it's going to need to stay competitive and the easiest way to do that is with additional features added onto an existing device.  It makes those who bought it remain happy with the product as well as sell more.  And take it from a tech turned appliance salesman, features sell.

Bibliophile
bklvr896

I, for one, am very glad it doesn't have any other features.  I bought one for my mom primarily because it was only a reader, and there was nothing else there for her to stumble into and not be able to get out of. 

Also, I have the other features on my N1E, and I never use any of them.  I don't listen to music on it.  I opened the browser once, to see what it looked like.  There's probably a big market out there for users who don't want any extra features on the device.  I know that almost everyone I know that has a Nook (not color) or a Kindle, doesn't want it for anything but reading books.

They should have kept manufacturing the N1E in some form for those who want additional features.

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

Darksear wrote:

...I can see having a news feeds app as well as maybe facebook, twitter and maybe a few games like sudoku, crosswords, and card and board games.  And that is in addition to a working browser.  Will B&N do these things?  Maybe.  Since it's competing not only with e-ink devices such as kindle, kobo and sony, but with ereading apps on smartphones and tablets it's going to need to stay competitive and the easiest way to do that is with additional features added onto an existing device. ...

Using that logic, you should be saying that your bicycle's manufacturer has to add an engine, windshield, radio, and airbags to "stay competative" with cars.

The e-ink screen is not suited for facebook, twitter, sudoku, or browsing.  It IS suited for reading and long battery-life.

B&Ns way to stay competative in the market you identified is called the Nook Tablet just as Amazon abandoned their old platforms and came out with the Fire.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0

Darksear wrote:

And take it from a tech turned appliance salesman, features sell.

And unused features are a waste of time and can cause more software issues than not.  I had a N1E and got rid of it as soon as the N2E came out.  Why?  2 reasons:

Reason 1: It was a touchscreen

Reason 2: It didn't have any extra unnecessary software.

Every device doesn't have to do everything. 

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright

Features may sell, but there comes a point where you dilute specific utility by trying to do too many things. There is a fine balance between being too narrowly focused and being so broad as to be unfocused.

I'm not a fan of combo appliances. TV/DVD player. Coffee maker/toaster/egg poacher. No thanks.

And anything that does one thing well will limit its market to those who have a special interest. A cupcake maker. A spark plug socket.

I think a web browser has a place on a eInk device among B&N's product offerings. I just would prefer they keep the NOOK Simple Touch Reader, well, simple and focused on meeting the needs of that special interest.

Inspired Correspondent
MacFlash
0 Kudos

RHWright wrote:

Features may sell, but there comes a point where you dilute specific utility by trying to do too many t

I think a web browser has a place on a eInk device among B&N's product offerings. I just would prefer they keep the NOOK Simple Touch Reader, well, simple and focused on meeting the needs of that special interest.

So the special interest I see is making it easy to purchase and read books  from B&N only. They are making it very easy to do that. You can even archive their books easily if memory is tight. The memory partition also strongly encourages B&N books.  If I had a basic browser I could get books from multiple sources without hooking it up to a computer. Also give me a way to delete them without having to hook  my Nook up to the computer. The Nook is highly functional as long as you limit your purchases to B&N.  It becomes more difficult, because you need a computer, to manage anything else.  A step better than Kindle, since it doesn't have only a proprietary format, but still I believe a real attempt to "encourage" you to get your books from B&N. Not saying this is wrong or right, but it makes it fairly obvious what their strategy is. I love the hardware, but I will likely root my Nook to get the additional features to be able to manage side loaded books without resorting to a USB connection to a computer.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005
0 Kudos

MacFlash wrote:

If I had a basic browser I could get books from multiple sources without hooking it up to a computer.

NOOK browsers have never been able to download from other sites. Having a basic browser wouldn't help you with this.

Not saying that's the way it should be, just the way that it is. One of the big disappointments with the NOOK browser was that there was no way to download from web sites. I suppose it helps on the security front.

Inspired Correspondent
MacFlash
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

NOOK browsers have never been able to download from other sites. Having a basic browser wouldn't help you with this.

Doug,

That's interesting. Is it also true of the color and tablet NOOKs? That would really annoy me! From my point of view it is just another reason to root your Nook and put on a third party browser.

RHWright
0 Kudos

MacFlash wrote:

So the special interest I see is making it easy to purchase and read books  from B&N only.

I'm guessing you have real problems with the "B&N only" part, though you are very fair-handed in your overall critique. Personally, I look more at the "easy to purchase and read books" part.

And all the information about the NOOK and a minimumj of research makes it clear that that is indeed their strategy. As you point out, it is more open in approach than others, such as Amazon. Including designs that are fairly easy to root if you so desire.

For my part, I am very happy with my B&N experience and rarely have to go outside of the "preferred" source for content.

Would I like to live in a world where hardware providers provided devices that could read content from any source, and their wasn't the muddling of the two and a scramble to lock up exclusive content? Sure.

But I think that ignores the reality of the general marketplace.

Sure, I could get a well-built device, mod it as necessary, buy content, break the DRM, and do what I want. Ethical and legal issues aside, that's just a bit much for me.

This is purely from my perspective, but understanding that, the NOOK meets my needs for the most part. It will read files from non-B&N sources, let me borrow library books, etc.

Others mileage may vary.

Inspired Correspondent
MacFlash
0 Kudos

RHWright wrote:

Sure, I could get a well-built device, mod it as necessary, buy content, break the DRM, and do what I want. Ethical and legal issues aside, that's just a bit much for me.

I certainly wouldn't lump together moding a device and breaking DRM protection. You are getting into very slippery ground when you tell someone that they are not allowed to replace the software on a piece of hardware with different software. Am I breaking B&N terms of service?  Possibly. If B&N wants to cut me off from their  ebookstore for that, so be it. However, I think, as you will read in other discussions of rooting  ereaders, that placing open source software on a device is not illegal. My purpose in rooting the Nook is not to do illegal things, but simply to make the things that are already possible simpler and more convinient.

Reader 2
Darksear
0 Kudos

Byteguy wrote:

Using that logic, you should be saying that your bicycle's manufacturer has to add an engine, windshield, radio, and airbags to "stay competative" with cars.

The e-ink screen is not suited for facebook, twitter, sudoku, or browsing.  It IS suited for reading and long battery-life.

B&Ns way to stay competative in the market you identified is called the Nook Tablet just as Amazon abandoned their old platforms and came out with the Fire.

That wasn't my point.  My point was that if Barnes and Noble want to attract more buyers they are going to have to offer more varied features with their products.  Different features attract different people.

Take a High Efficiency Washer.  You might like it because it is able to function without that nasty agitator that tore up your or a loved one's favorite piece of laundry.  Someone else might like it because of the steam and sanitize features that come with it.  And yet someone else might like it because it costs an average of $11 to $14 a year to operate to a more conventional washer's $24 to $28.  Each one of you will purchase that washer over others because of just one feature, but there are more than that one feature available.  The same goes with any other product. 

And all the apps I mentioned don't require a high refresh rate and are very possible on a e-ink device.  And if Barnes and Noble does it correctly you will have the choice to install those features or not.  These days modular features are all the rage.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

Darksear wrote:

That wasn't my point.  My point was that if Barnes and Noble want to attract more buyers they are going to have to offer more varied features with their products.  Different features attract different people.

Take a High Efficiency Washer.  You might like it because it is able to function without that nasty agitator that tore up your or a loved one's favorite piece of laundry.  Someone else might like it because of the steam and sanitize features that come with it.  And yet someone else might like it because it costs an average of $11 to $14 a year to operate to a more conventional washer's $24 to $28.  Each one of you will purchase that washer over others because of just one feature, but there are more than that one feature available.  The same goes with any other product. 

And all the apps I mentioned don't require a high refresh rate and are very possible on a e-ink device.  And if Barnes and Noble does it correctly you will have the choice to install those features or not.  These days modular features are all the rage.

Comparing an e-reader to a high efficiency washer makes no sense.  To my way of thinking everyone needs a washer of some sort (unless they go to a laundromat).  Everyone does not need an e-reader.  E-readers are designed for a niche market.  Washers are not (unless I'm missing the subtleties of the appliance business).

The comparison just doesn't make sense to me.

►Without order there is chaos◄
RHWright
0 Kudos

@MacFlash:

I didn't mean to imply that rooting and breaking DRM were on the same level as far as their legality/ethics. Just that there are a spectrum of things that can be done to get a customized unit and exactly what content you want on a device. But while these are technically possible, they are just too time consuming for me to want to bother with.

I wasn't passing judgement on those who choose to root their devices.

Inspired Correspondent
MacFlash
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Darksear wrote:

Darksear, I too would like to see these features. However I think B&N only wants to attract buyers that will be primarily buying books from the B&N library. This is the traditional razor blade model. Practically give away the razor and make money on the blades. My guess is that if  B&N believed they could sell more ebooks without having their own branded ereader it would disappear in a minute.