AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

Re: Web browser enhancements for Nook Simple Touch?

richf51 wrote:

I found this very helpful. I want to use an e-reader for accessing courses on the internet: I don't need or want color and much prefer the e-reader technology. Without a browser, that is impossible.

While the Nook is highly rated, B&N doesn't make money from the readers any more than Amazon does, they are selling content.  On the other hand Kindle has a browser,so for me the choice is clear.

I also note that Amazon buys back some ebooks for 50%. I'd prefer a true secondary market (why do "freedom loving, free market" people not insist on owning e-books including the right to sell them?), but in the meantime, that's a strong incentive.

If you need a browser then this is not the right product for you.  It doesn't have one.  So while it's nice that you're posting here that you're purchasing a Kindle I don't understand why you bothered?

►Without order there is chaos◄
Inspired Wordsmith
petesnook
0 Kudos

I'm glad he did post.  Recent articles have indicated the sales of the NST have been disappointing.  Perhaps if B&N reads posts like his they will get an idea to unleash the browser, thereby opening up the market to more people.  After all, there's no free 3G involved, so it doesn't cost them anything when someone browses.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

richf51 wrote:

I also note that Amazon buys back some ebooks for 50%. I'd prefer a true secondary market (why do "freedom loving, free market" people not insist on owning e-books including the right to sell them?), but in the meantime, that's a strong incentive.

Amazon buys back ebooks? I can't find any info on this. I know they allow returns, they buy back ereading devices, and they buy back printed textbooks, but I can't find anything on this.

That would definitely be an incentive.

As a freedom loving (though not "free" market loving) American, I would prefer that the first sale doctrine would be applied to ebooks.

It's tough because the technologies that would allow there to be some assurance that users don't retain a copy when they sell it would probably be more invasive and restrictive than the current system of "licensing" and DRM.

New User
cipibad
0 Kudos

+1 for browser

I have accounts to safarionline, books24x7 and needed to root my NST for only reason to install opera mini (because works with hardware buttons) to be able to read online books.

Inspired Correspondent
spider731
0 Kudos

I didn't see this posted anywhere, so I thought I'd share. I recently received a NSTG and my wife just bought a new NST. There is a way to access webpages on it (albiet not a very straightforward way, but will do in a pinch):

Go to Settings/Social, and click on Link to Facebook, Twitter, and Google

Click on Google (Link your account)

Under where you Sign in, click on "Can't access your account"

At the VERY bottom of the next screen you will see in tiny print, "Google Home"

Click on that and you will be on Google's home page. Do a google search for whatever website you want.

The interface is not great, and there are no navigation buttons that I can see, but you can interact with whatever website is brought up. I was able to view and update facebook statuses for instance. Also once you get out you have to start all over again to get to another page. As I said, not pleasant to use, but functional (barely functional).

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
0 Kudos

spider731 wrote:

I didn't see this posted anywhere...

Here and here (and probably several others). Well, this makes it more likely that someone will find it in the future. :cathappy:

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
Inspired Correspondent
spider731
0 Kudos

Sun_Cat wrote:

spider731 wrote:

I didn't see this posted anywhere...

Here and here (and probably several others). Well, this makes it more likely that someone will find it in the future. :cathappy:

I stand corrected....

Inspired Correspondent
bugeek
0 Kudos

Probably right if you need a browser, but also this product isnt right for you if you have to login to a wireless network that requires a captive portal or authentication via a webpage... As many hotspots do.

Not asking for Chrome but being able to view and login to a website, in addition to wikipedia and other resources is useful even with the limitations of E-ink technology... 

bobstro

bugeek wrote:

Probably right if you need a browser, but also this product isnt right for you if you have to login to a wireless network that requires a captive portal or authentication via a webpage... As many hotspots do.

The sad thing is, the NST is perfectly capable of doing this well. I'm running a tiny app called Wi-Fi Web Login on my rooted NSTs and it does exactly what you're asking for. If I connect to a wifi network that requires additional steps to login, I launch this app and it brings up a minimal web browser that I can use to interact with the wifi login procedure. The great thing is that it records the steps, if desired, and will automatically replay them again when I reconnect to the same network. It can be a bit slow, but it works well at most airports and hotels I've tried it in. The app runs fine on the NST's Android 2.1 configuration.

I thought I'd mention this before anybody implies the NST doesn't have sufficient performance to do this sort of thing.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

I thought I'd mention this before anybody implies the NST doesn't have sufficient performance to do this sort of thing.

The original stock NST was supposed to be able to do this.  I feel like it worked on mine, but I have no idea if I'm making it up or not.

Wordsmith
h2oskierc
0 Kudos

bugeek wrote:

but also this product isnt right for you if you have to login to a wireless network that requires a captive portal or authentication via a webpage... As many hotspots do.

Seems like a huge oversight on the part of B&N not to have this ability.  I cannot think of any public network I have seen (hotel, McDonald's, etc) that didn't require some kind of web portal login to gain access.  The guest network at my house even requires it.

MacMcK1957

It works for me. Generally whenever I connect to a hotel or store wifi hotspot the NST automatically brings up the login screen. I've seen a few where it couldn't handle the web page, but not often.
bobstro
0 Kudos

MacMcK1957 wrote:
It works for me. Generally whenever I connect to a hotel or store wifi hotspot the NST automatically brings up the login screen. I've seen a few where it couldn't handle the web page, but not often.

Interesting. I don't recall ever having seen that. I'll keep my NST in my carry on for my next few trips and try it at various airport and hotels.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

MacMcK1957 wrote:

Interesting. I don't recall ever having seen that. I'll keep my NST in my carry on for my next few trips and try it at various airport and hotels.

When I stayed at the Holiday Inn in Minot last summer I was able to log in to their network fine.  When I stayed at the AmericInn(I'm not positive that was the name) just north of KC last spring it wouldn't let me past the login screen.  It seems kinda hit and miss.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

It's been a while since I had a problem. Seems to me it was a particular design element on the web page that it couldn't handle, like a drop down menu.
bobstro
0 Kudos

The most obnoxious captive portal design I've seen is at Logan airport in Boston. You have to first find the "connect to Internet" button on a busy screen, then pick one of two options (watch a video, take a survey) to actually connect. Once you do either, it's slow and unreliable. Fortunately, wifi web login was able to record and replay the "watch a video" sequence. Unfortunately, they change the procedure every month or so.

Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

kamas716 wrote:

bobstro wrote:

MacMcK1957 wrote:

When I stayed at the Holiday Inn in Minot last summer I was able to log in to their network fine.  When I stayed at the AmericInn(I'm not positive that was the name) just north of KC last spring it wouldn't let me past the login screen.  It seems kinda hit and miss.

I know the AmericInn in Rehoboth, DE let me log in just fine. I really only did it to see if it would work. I didn't actually need to use it. My son's ipod touch had some problems with the login working, though. That's why I tried my NST, I wanted to see if it was possibly the device. He does have an older ipod that seems to have issues with the wifi in some places. It usually works eventually, just takes multiple tries. My NST got it on the first try.

bobstro
0 Kudos

frantastk wrote:

[...] I know the AmericInn in Rehoboth, DE let me log in just fine. I really only did it to see if it would work. I didn't actually need to use it. 

Was it a true "captive portal" where you had to interact with a browser to accept terms & conditions, or just the wireless setup where you enter SSID and password? I don't recall my NST every prompting me for web page input... though it's been a while since I tried not using WiFi Web Login.

Mercury_Glitch

I can tell you that the NST/G -can- interact with some of those types of pages.

The hospital across from where I work is set up with wifi and in order to connect you must agree to terms, it's free and does not require a password. 

I have seen it work for some NST/Gs and not for others, though I know the ones it did work with were 1.2+ and the ones that did not were on some software version prior to that.

I've heard others say their NST/Gs would work with wifi set ups like the above just fine prior to 1.2

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
bobstro
0 Kudos

Ah, perhaps something was introduced in 1.2+. I'm still on 1.1.2.