Distinguished Wordsmith
Grinchy1

What Happens to Nookcolor if B&N Closes??

I just read that Barnes & Nobles could be one of the next 5 big chains to close by 2017. What happens to our NC if this happens?? I would hate to see another book store close. But I do have to admit, having my NC, I do not go into books stores anymore, nor do I wish to by a paper back books. But that doesn't mean I want them to close.

Borders was one of the first stores to open our mall over 20yrs. ago and the closing of it has had a major in pack.

We do not have a B&N in our town,  (well we do, but it is just a small college one) I do know I would go there if we did. I would hate for them to close.

But I am more worried how B&N closing will effect the NC.

www.redbubble.com/people/grinch
Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek

Re: What Happens to Nookcolor if B&N Closes??

I think the fears of B&N closing are overwrought however you have a couple things to consider:

• Any closure -- if it happens -- probably won't happen for at least 3 years.  Your Nook Color will still be working,  you just might not get any additional software upgrades after that.
  • Which is more likely, B&N closing or you "moving up" to a new device 3 years from now?  Do you still have the same cell phone you had 3 years ago?  The same laptop or desktop computer?  The same music player?
  • You can always root the Nook Color and continue to get Android updates as needed/desired.
  • You can download your B&N EPUBs to a laptop or desktop computer now and archive them yourself.  There are even tools to remove the DRM although you must be warned that at a minimum they violate your purchase agreement and ultimately could be viewed as a civil or criminal offense.

In short, I wouldn't worry about B&N closing but if they do, you should probably be more worried about having your own archive of books you've bought than about any failure with your Nook Color.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Knight of the Word, The Dark Knight Returns, Appleseed
Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

If the entire company went away, unlikely given that they have no real competitor in BM and online is growing then there would be a transition process.  The ability to download your books and retain them would be one of the required responses by a court.  Assests such as customer lists would be sold.  It is almost certain that DRM and format would be supported by other entities or publishers would then be at risk for lawsuit.  Denying you access to your licensed ebook purchase would get consumer agencies attention big time.  Your app which displays your book resides on your devices and would not go away.  It is likely someone would buy the reader app and possibly rename it, marketing as supporting and reading BN DRM books.  You really have very little risk except that customer support for issues with your devices and you would have to download everything because archiving would go away.

Frequent Contributor
vinnyc
0 Kudos

There are a number of ebook websites that  provide ePub books you can buy (and free too) an sideload---I do it all the time.

Scribe
dfehling

2017??? You are worried about something that may or may not happen 5 years from now? :smileyhappy: 

In the technology field especially, I can't even fathom where we will be then so I don't waste any time worrying about it. Who knows what form reading will take in the future!

As with all major technology changes, such as vinyl records to cassettes to CDs to MP3 - we've had plenty of notice to convert our existing collections to whatever new form the technology takes. There's always a significant overlap and I don't think there would ever be a sudden cut off of support or access to our digital libraries.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Attributed to Groucho Marx
bobstro

dfehling wrote:

2017??? You are worried about something that may or may not happen 5 years from now? :smileyhappy: 

The physical Nook device is only part of the problem. I worry far more about B&N DRM-encumbered books than about my $250 device. I'd love to have every title on my reader, but it would take a while and cost a fair penny. Still, the ability to always have these references at hand might be worth it... if I had assurances I wouldn't lose access to them in the future. Looking over at my bookshelf, it would easily cost me $8,000 to replace the important titles. Not something I'd want to do every 5 years.

If Adobe DE can read these books, that's one way out, but that doesn't cover all of the enhanced titles and magazines. The same goes for using the B&N Nook app on another device, at least until or if they upgrade it with 1.4.x functionality.

Stripping off DRM is another path, but of course, that makes me a pirate in the eyes of the law, and more so as more onerous legislation is enacted that places the rights of corporations above those of individuals.

So my concern is that, if  I make a substantial investment in B&N books and magazines, the ONLY way to be guaranteed access to all them is to have a functioning B&N Nook device. It's the very fact that my Nook will not last 5 years that causes me the most concern.

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

Bob --

You can of course always just restrict your purchases of the enhanced content so playability on other devices is never an issue.  Since enhanced content is really an app, I suspect some enterprising programmer will figure out a way to convert it or play it on standard Android devices -- especially if B&N were to close and there was a ready-made market for 10s of 1000s of customers who wanted to access the content they'd paid for.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Knight of the Word, The Dark Knight Returns, Appleseed
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

I downloaded all of my nookbooks and mags (over 1200 of them) with my nook app on my pc. THEN I copied every single copy to a back up drive. B&N no longer has access to those copies so can not remove them from my computer. They can be opened with ADE or Calibre on my computer any time I wish to read them. I also have access to my nook library with my Nook app on any abdroid devices and the android side of my modded nc. I don't think that will change for a VERY long time. I may be wrong though. 

But just like with the HD-DVD vs. BluRay thing a few years back, players were released that read both formats so folks could continue to use what they already invested while enjoying purchases in the new format as well.

Same with when lps switched to cds. My stereo did not suddenly stop working with my turntable. I just added a CD player to it. Of course there were a few years when I could not find PARTS for my turntable or replace it, but that is again changing as turntables are now becoming more available. When cds replaced tapes, most devices were available for quite awhile that would accommodate both. We were given quite awhile to adapt to the new formats and not just hung out to dry overnight.

And since we are talking about 5 YEARS from now...wow..That's a REALLY long heads up. Instead of freaking out...start looking ahead. Surely you are going to have to replace that NC before then. If you are that worried about it, then at that point, invest in a device that will continue to give you access to what you already own, but will accommodate whatever seems to be the format that is replacing your current one.

And I'm fairly certain that you will find with nookbooks, the same thing that occurs with DTBs. The price comes down over time, you may even be able to score many of them free as I did. Replaced a LOT of my sci fi at Baen.com for free and I was a happy camper as I had pretty much read my DTB copies out.

roustabout

Pat writes "The ability to download your books and retain them would be one of the required responses by a court."

Only if someone wanted to buy it.  If no one wanted to buy it, those titles would no longer be supported software, under the currently (sadly) accepted model of what an ebook is by ebook consumers.

My recommendation is that you keep a backup copy of your library in Calibre, and that you learn how to work with DRM to take control of the availability, confidentiality and integrity of your own library for your own use.  

http://nookworks.blogspot.com/2011/09/information-security-and-digital-rights.html is a walk-through for doing so.  

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Scribe
dfehling
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

dfehling wrote:

The physical Nook device is only part of the problem. I worry far more about B&N DRM-encumbered books than about my $250 device. I'd love to have every title on my reader, but it would take a while and cost a fair penny. Still, the ability to always have these references at hand might be worth it... if I had assurances I wouldn't lose access to them in the future. Looking over at my bookshelf, it would easily cost me $8,000 to replace the important titles. Not something I'd want to do every 5 years.

If Adobe DE can read these books, that's one way out, but that doesn't cover all of the enhanced titles and magazines. The same goes for using the B&N Nook app on another device, at least until or if they upgrade it with 1.4.x functionality.

Stripping off DRM is another path, but of course, that makes me a pirate in the eyes of the law, and more so as more onerous legislation is enacted that places the rights of corporations above those of individuals.

So my concern is that, if  I make a substantial investment in B&N books and magazines, the ONLY way to be guaranteed access to all them is to have a functioning B&N Nook device. It's the very fact that my Nook will not last 5 years that causes me the most concern.

Remember we are now dealing with strictly DIGITAL content which is not difficult at all for programmers to convert to other formats. Who says the only way you will have access to your library is to have a functioning Nook device in the future? It's not at all the same scenario of having to keep an 8-track player around to listen to a physical copy of an 8-track tape. EPubs, for example, use a very simple markup language similar to HTML that can easily be run through a conversion program if something better comes along. I am certain these conversion programs will be readily available if and when we need them.

As far as the DRM goes, there are a few cases of companies whose DRM-protected e-content became obsolete due to them going out of business or taking their DRM servers offline - but even they gave ample notice to their consumers to download, archive and convert their content beforehand. I can't imagine the law ever allowing a company as big as B&N to not do the same. I doubt seriously we will all be forced to illegally strip the DRM to preserve the millions of ebooks that customers have bought from B&N!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Attributed to Groucho Marx
Inspired Correspondent
jlhatch

By then we'll all be reading our books in 3D while commuting in our jetcars that fly themselves. :smileyvery-happy:

bobstro

dfehling wrote:

[...] Remember we are now dealing with strictly DIGITAL content which is not difficult at all for programmers to convert to other formats. Who says the only way you will have access to your library is to have a functioning Nook device in the future?

Were we talking about epubs that aren't DRM-encumbered, I'd be less concerned. I'm looking at it from the perspective of a consumer who both purchases large numbers of books annually, and is considering going all-digital with them in the future.

Yes, some clever programmer might get around the DRM, but that is increasingly being made illegal, and is certainly no guarantee!

It's not at all the same scenario of having to keep an 8-track player around to listen to a physical copy of an 8-track tape.

Agreed, and that's not the point I was trying to make. The device is relatively unimportant, except for the current situation where the device (NC or NT) is the only means of accessing an increasingly large body of content. If 1.4.x ported to the Nook app, I'd be much more comfortable, though not completely.

[...] As far as the DRM goes, there are a few cases of companies whose DRM-protected e-content became obsolete due to them going out of business or taking their DRM servers offline - but even they gave ample notice to their consumers to download, archive and convert their content beforehand.

I would certainly hope so! But again, there are no guarantees. How does this play out if the PUBLISHERS don't agree to their heretofore DRM-encumbered texts being made DRM-free?

My concern is not format conversion. I'm well aware of the ability to convert between epub, mobi and the like. I'm strictly addressing DRM from the perspective of the subject of the OP.

[...] I can't imagine the law ever allowing a company as big as B&N to not do the same. I doubt seriously we will all be forced to illegally strip the DRM to preserve the millions of ebooks that customers have bought from B&N!

Ah, but how beholden to such standards is a company that goes belly-up? Perhaps such things happen as part of the bankruptcy process, but I am not aware of it if so. I had a company go down right after I'd placed an order for $1,500 worth of equipment, and getting my my property didn't seem to be a priority of theirs!

Wordsmith
mbratch

Contributor
Plankter
0 Kudos

I just came across this article which may describe what happens to Nook if (or maybe even if not) B&N closes (which I really really don't want to see happen!)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/05/barnes-noble-nook_n_1186288.html

Plankter

Frequent Contributor
Carlcheated
0 Kudos

Unfortunately, if B&N goes out of business, all NC's will self destruct, as Mr. Phelp's tapes in Mission Impossible. No way around it, unless you keep it off the internet for good.

Inspired Wordsmith
taosaur
0 Kudos

Surviving Nook Colors may be bereaved, but B&N's DRM is already readable on a number of non-B&N applications and devices.

Frequent Contributor
Painterroy
0 Kudos

I think that's irrelevant since by then ther will be something else on the market to replace both the Kindle's & that's just the nature of technology. Everthing get's replaced eventually. 

On another note I'm constantly worried Sony will stop making  Betamaxs :smileyhappy:

Roy Evan Burstiner
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

patgolfneb wrote:

If the entire company went away, unlikely given that they have no real competitor in BM and online is growing then there would be a transition process.  The ability to download your books and retain them would be one of the required responses by a court.  Assests such as customer lists would be sold.  It is almost certain that DRM and format would be supported by other entities or publishers would then be at risk for lawsuit.  Denying you access to your licensed ebook purchase would get consumer agencies attention big time.  Your app which displays your book resides on your devices and would not go away.  It is likely someone would buy the reader app and possibly rename it, marketing as supporting and reading BN DRM books.  You really have very little risk except that customer support for issues with your devices and you would have to download everything because archiving would go away.

If I'm not mistaken, when Borders closed, consumers were advised to transfer their eBooks to Kobo, but if you didn't after a certain time period, you no longer had access to the books.  I remember several posts here about this.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

Grinchy1 wrote:

I just read that Barnes & Nobles could be one of the next 5 big chains to close by 2017. What happens to our NC if this happens?? I would hate to see another book store close. But I do have to admit, having my NC, I do not go into books stores anymore, nor do I wish to by a paper back books. But that doesn't mean I want them to close. ...

But I am more worried how B&N closing will effect the NC.

There's no necessary reason it will do anything to the Nook. The chain of B&N bookstores shutting down in, say, 2016 is not intrinsically anything to do with the Nook Touch, Nook Color, or Nook Tablet except that the free WiFi in B&N stores and the free sample reading in B&N stores will no longer be available. Most of the rest of it is B&N's site, and there's no reason why the chain of big box stores shutting down would necessarily cause the site to shut down.

The reason for the "2017" projection is about the economics of big box bookstores, not about the economics of internet service companies. Whether the B&N eBooks wll continue to be supported will be an issue revolving around the success of the eBooks business, and its just as likely that closing the chain of big box stores would be unlumbering a weight dragging the company down.

Indeed, if one thinks about the economics of bookstores, its as likely that the chain of big box stores is replaced by small shopfronts with WiFi, kiosks and a Print on Demand machine in the back as that they will simply shut down with no replacement. The fewer physical books in the bookstore, the less overhead there is to be covered by the coffee and muffin sales.

However, with any DRM protected eBooks that you are buying to keep rather than buying as consumable media, store back-up copies offsite. That's not specific to this question nor to B&N, but general advice.

Inspired Wordsmith
MatthewH
0 Kudos

Precisely due to DRM issues, most of the content on my NC was obtained from sources other than B&N. Most of my B&N ebook purchases have been books that I wanted to read soon for recreation but did not expect would become important additions to my library. I have lots of public domain classics, which will of course always be available. Fortunately for me, I read a lot of science fiction and many of my favorite authors are published by Baen, a publisher with very reader-friendly policies. Baen makes many of their older books avaikable as free downloads, and all their ebooks whether purchased or free are available in a variety of formats WITHOUT DRM. I would buy more ebooks from the B&N store if they were available without DRM. Also I have on my NC a number of work-related scientific papers in PDF format, which I read with EzPdfReader on my NC but of course I could read or print on just about any desktop or laptop computer. I only started buying music online when DRM-free versions were available. My wife and I both work in the pharma R&D world, so we do respect intellectual property: our income depends on it. I do not commit piracy, I am willing to pay for content. But I do not wish to pay for the same content more than once!
Remember: the big print giveth, the small print taketh away.