Distinguished Wordsmith
rbentley101
0 Kudos

What Is Your Screen Timeout Setting and Why?

I have set my NC screen timeout to 2 minutes, the lowest setting available.  I have done so thinking it is likely to save my battery life, especially since I frequently get interrupted for more than 2 minutes.  Even with the increased battery drain that reactivating it might take, I think I am getting better battery life with the shortest time setting.  I don't have any data to support this however.

What is your setting and why?

Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

Re: What Is Your Screen Timeout Setting and Why?

5 minutes so it will not time out while I am reading and get only slightly destracted. I am really disciplined at quick pressing the power button every time I put my NC down though.

Correspondent
susgod
0 Kudos

My screen timeout is set for 15 minutes.  I often read during a waiting period between other activities. I'm usually back in a few minutes. If I get involved in another activity, NC goes to sleep. When I am ready to continue reading/playing, NC opens in the same place I stopped.

Scribe
dfehling
0 Kudos

2 minutes. Saves on battery life (or so I believe).

Also, if I am reading at night and the screen keeps going to sleep, that's how I know it is time to call it a night and go to sleep myself.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Attributed to Groucho Marx
Inspired Correspondent
alporks
0 Kudos

5 minutes, for those minor distractions.
Distinguished Wordsmith
MaluhiaKana
0 Kudos

Inspired Contributor
crabbybob
0 Kudos

15 minutes becuase I use it at work to log my service calls.  The average call is 10 minutes and they can be spaced anywhere from 0 to 45 minutes apart.  Having to swipe the 'n' button slows me down and becomes a signficant time loss when I have mutliple calls queued.

Wordsmith
JinSC
0 Kudos

2....to save power....if I think i'm going to step away briefly, i tap the screen which brings up the screen features, and delays the timing out....otherwise, i just deal with swiping it on....if i'm in a situation where i know I'm going to interrupted frequently, then i set it to 5 or 15 accordingly...but mostly leave it at 2...

Jeremy

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,253
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

15, but that's because I use the NC to display FAA instrument approach charts, and I don't want the screen to go blank in the middle of an instrument approach.  Otherwise, it would be five.  Two is too brief when doing normal reading;  I often get distracted for a couple minutes.

Nooks: 2 HD+/16GB, 2 HD/8GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted; Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted
    2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
LG G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
New User
katrinakieren
0 Kudos

Mine is 15 minutes, because sometimes I set it down to get up to do something (for my daughter or the house), and it's easier to come back where I left it. For those times I read in the evenings without distractions it's not worth changing the screen timeout setting.
Also, I'm wondering if it even does save battery life, since it's not as if a back light is taking up the battery. I actually stumbled upon this thread looking to see if anyone knew if it did happen to make a difference.
I do hit the power button when I finish reading for a time though.

Frequent Contributor
momof3redheads
0 Kudos

Mine is set at 2.  I did it to reserve battery life because I leave my NookColor on alot.  Im up and down with it through out the day and I hate having to turn it off and restart.  I also stay connected to Wifi.  I know that drains the battery quick so thats why I have time out set at 2 but Im not sure it really makes a difference towards the battery life