New User
gailys
0 Kudos

What's coming ??? Is a new Nook coming down the pike?

I have to replace my Nook tablet. The battery stopped charging and now I might get a half hours use at a time from my Nook. It doesn't work at all if I try to use it while charging. Last night it hard reset itself twice.

So I have to buy a new one. I want the newest HD but why has it been reduced in price? QVC had them on for their Today's Value and now has none left. To me that usually means that the company is making way for the next big thing. The holiday is coming..Perfect time to unveil a new toy..Is there a new toy? I do not want to buy an almost obsolete piece of equipment. I am trying to decide between this and an Ipad but I am used to the Nook technology and like the product. Does anyone know?

gailys

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: What's coming ??? Is a new Nook coming down the pike?

The HDs are reduced in price as they came out last holiday season and B&N had a lot of stock.

A new nook is being released for the holiday season.  We do not yet know if this new nook will be e-ink or tablet, but there is reason to suspect that it will be e-ink.  We do not yet know if there is only one nook being released for the holiday season, or if there is more than one (they may release both e-ink and tablet nooks).

B&N has stated that they are continuing to produce e-ink nooks, and that they will be partnering with a tech company to produce tablet nooks.  We just don't know which of these to expect this fall.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

keriflur wrote:
We do not yet know if this new nook will be e-ink or tablet, but there is reason to suspect that it will be e-ink.

Don't make the mistake of assuming that e-reader=E-Ink and tablet=color. In B&N's most recent investor's conference call, they never once used the word "tablet," and instead indicated that they'll be focusing on e-reading devices which will drive sales of digital content.

However, e-reading devices aren't necessarily E-Ink. NOOK Media has an unusually large market share in the e-magazine business, and e-magazines pretty much require color screens — and preferably larger screens. No reflective screen technology is yet able to produce the kind of vivid colors that magazines would almost demand.

Consequently, I'm expecting to see a color LCD-based e-reader. Many other companies have made them in the past, and I think NOOK Media's ready to move into that market. They're less expensive to make and the general public prefers them over reflective screens.

B&N has stated that they are continuing to produce e-ink nooks, and that they will be partnering with a tech company to produce tablet nooks.  We just don't know which of these to expect this fall.

Those statements were made by Bill Lynch when he was CEO. After he suddenly left the company, NOOK Media retracted those plans. NOOK Media now says they will continue to design and make (where "make" means, as always, contract with Asian manufacturing companies) NOOK devices.

To the original poster (gailys): NOOK Media has stated that at least one new device will be released later this year. The price decreases that you're seeing on NOOK HD and HD+ are a direct result of disastrously-poor sales over the past holiday season — if seems when people thought, "I want to buy a tablet for Christmas," they thought about iPad and Samsung, not NOOK. NOOK Media has a ton of their tablets in warehouses and commitments to buy even more. They desperately need to move them, and the best way to make that happen is to reduce the prices.

If you want a tablet rather than an e-reader, snatch up the HD or HD+. Those probably will be the last full-function tablets that NOOK Media makes — for a long time to come, at least.

keriflur
0 Kudos

I had a long answer this but the forum ate it. I stand by my original statements based on the most recent press release, which happened after Lynch left.

bobstro
0 Kudos

So... is B&N contemplating another not-a-tablet color reader of some sort? With good general-purose tablets available down at about the $150 mark, I have to wonder if there's really enough demand at an even lower level to justify a(nother) reader-only attempt?

keriflur

[ Edited ]

bobstro wrote:

So... is B&N contemplating another not-a-tablet color reader of some sort? With good general-purose tablets available down at about the $150 mark, I have to wonder if there's really enough demand at an even lower level to justify a(nother) reader-only attempt?

There's nothing to indicate they're considering this - all the last press release said was that they were going to continue to produce black and white and color devices.

IMO an LCD device that is NOT a multi-purpose device is the worst of both worlds - short battery life, backlit screen that causes eyestrain and an inability to fall asleep in some people, poor sunlight viewing, and no ability to do all the usual general-puprose tasks such as email, video, pinterest, etc.  If B&N were to make a reading-only LCD device as the single new device for the holidays, it wouldn't be a step in the wrong direction, it'd be a giant leap.

I've also seen nothing to indicate that, as Doug states, the general public prefers LCD to eink screens (for the purposes of reading). We know that the general public prefers general-purpose devices, but this does not directly translate to a preference of screen if the device is not general purpose.

Distinguished Correspondent
gabourele

[ Edited ]

Doug you are right. I heard the call and it was flat out stated by the new man in charge Mike Huesby that they were not getting out the tablet manufacturing business when an investor asked but did not say what device or devices were coming this holiday but that it was coming. William Lynch wanted to have another manufacturer design the tablets but he is no longer with BN.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Mercury_Glitch

I hope and suspect it's going to be an eink Nook

1) the NSTG was one upped by the competition in Fall 2012, and again in Summer of 2013.  It can be argued the KPW and NSTG are essentially the same, but the Kobo Aura is a solid update to the hardware. 

2) We expected to see a new eink Nook in Spring of this year, and nothing came of it.  Meaning the eink line is now off its product cycle, granted the product cycle was a shaky one as it was defined by I believe two products. 

3) The HD fell short of expectations.  I don't believe this has been the case with the eink releases.  I do not have the numbers but all the eink devices have been well reviewed and sold well when they released.

4) I kind of just want it to be a eink device.  Though maybe we'll see a dual release of a LCD tablet Nook and an eink Nook (remember the AV and SW leak for covers, seeming to imply two devices). 

In the end only time will tell. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
keriflur

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

1) the NSTG was one upped by the competition in Fall 2012, and again in Summer of 2013.  It can be argued the KPW and NSTG are essentially the same, but the Kobo Aura is a solid update to the hardware. 

2) We expected to see a new eink Nook in Spring of this year, and nothing came of it.  Meaning the eink line is now off its product cycle, granted the product cycle was a shaky one as it was defined by I believe two products. 

3) The HD fell short of expectations.  I don't believe this has been the case with the eink releases.  I do not have the numbers but all the eink devices have been well reviewed and sold well when they released.

4) I kind of just want it to be a eink device.  Though maybe we'll see a dual release of a LCD tablet Nook and an eink Nook (remember the AV and SW leak for covers, seeming to imply two devices). 

Also, I expect we'll see a price reduction on the Aura for the holidays, and we'll probably see a refresh of the KPW.  Aura and KPW2 versus NST and NSTG?  It's pretty easy to see which devices would win that battle.

Given that B&N has acknowleged that e-ink owners buy more content (where the money is for B&N), B&N would be foolish not to offer their customers a new eink device.

keriflur
0 Kudos

gabourele wrote:

Doug you are right. I heard the call and it was flat out stated by the new man in charge Mike Huesby that they were not getting out the tablet manufacturing business when an investor asked but did not say what device or devices were coming this holiday but that it was coming. William Lynch wanted to have another manufacturer design the tablets but he is no longer with BN.

Then unless a device was already designed and ready to go when Lynch stepped down, which isn't likely as he wanted to partner, there won't be a tablet coming this fall.  There just isn't enough time in the second half of the year to design and produce a new device for the holidays.

gabourele

No one knows what BN has been doing behind the scenes this last year. The stores didn't even know about the HD device until BN announced it so it could be a possibility,
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
keriflur
0 Kudos

gabourele wrote:
No one knows what BN has been doing behind the scenes this last year. The stores didn't even know about the HD device until BN announced it so it could be a possibility,

I didn't say that it wasn't possible, what I said what that unless they are following the same plan they had last winter/spring, they won't have/haven't had the time to get a new device ready. You can't just throw a custom design onto manufacturing - the process takes time.

Inspired Wordsmith
LectorGS
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

Also, I expect we'll see a price reduction on the Aura for the holidays, and we'll probably see a refresh of the KPW.  Aura and KPW2 versus NST and NSTG?  It's pretty easy to see which devices would win that battle.

Given that B&N has acknowleged that e-ink owners buy more content (where the money is for B&N), B&N would be foolish not to offer their customers a new eink device.

I checked the Kobo website and they have added some new devices to the Kobo family.  I saw the Kobo Arc, Kobo Arc 7HD,  and the Kobo Arc 10HD.  Additionally, they are showcasing a second Kobo Aura (e-reading only I suspect.)

Lector GS
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

the new Aura looks like the Aura HD but at the standard screen size of the NST/KPW.  Smaller resolution as well. 

The Aura HD is also now only showing as available in brown. 

msmoonlite
0 Kudos

I think BN is more likely to produce an eink reeader. They didn't produce one this Spring, which had been their practice with previous nook eink models.

The nook HD has been a flop. Even if they plan to produce any tablets, it would take much longer than a quarter to design and manufacture one.

patgolfneb
0 Kudos

I really have no clue, but I wouldn't assume that there wasn't ongoing design work that was suspended. It might be easily restarted as long as production contracts and delivery is still possible. After all most of the hardware is off the shelf. It is the software where BN has issues. If instead of reinventing the wheel they chose to refine and add maybe updated shelving features or gps and a camera it would be simpler. Removing features is also possible, though unlikely. Using Microsofts RT tablet as a base is another possibility without the gps and camera, but higher resolution. I think there are more possible responses than are being considered.
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Yep, this is really all conjecture and only semi-informed conjecture at that. 

We'll find out when we find out, though as we've been told that there will be a Nook for the holiday season I would think that we'd find out sooner rather than later.  Either way it's frustrating me as an employee and a customer. 

patgolfneb

Mercury,  I find the cloak and dagger stuff silly.  Competitors have access to the same suppliers and insiders so they certainly can figure out what is coming. The other reason hurting current sales, well maybe, but given BN needs to reassure everyone of its continued relevance I see more upside than downside.  After all current models are  being sold at a loss.  A few teaser hints would be a good idea, possibly generating some free press attention. 

Frequent Contributor
ankala

Sometimes CEOs make bad decisions too. B&N has a great tablet. When you compare the specs and prices, you' re getting the quality of apple but without a camera. But B&N does not advertise! Apple and Samsung have billboards, and some broadcast media advertising. People who are moving toward tablets from laptops are not really aware of the nook HD's, unless they shop B&N and maybe knows their e-readers. I have coworkers in NYC who have Samsungs and never knew of the nook HD. the were quite surprised to see the specs comparison on B&N's website.
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

patgolfneb wrote:

Mercury,  I find the cloak and dagger stuff silly.  Competitors have access to the same suppliers and insiders so they certainly can figure out what is coming. The other reason hurting current sales, well maybe, but given BN needs to reassure everyone of its continued relevance I see more upside than downside.  After all current models are  being sold at a loss.  A few teaser hints would be a good idea, possibly generating some free press attention. 

Thats something I've been saying to any one in B&N who will listen. 

As a note when I say there's something I can't say it's because saying it could cost me my job.  I was able to talk about B&Ns plans to release a new Nook for the holiday because they did a press release.  The conjecture about it being eink is entirely from me and for all I know I could be wrong.  In short, I've been told nothing about the nature or the release time of the Holiday Nook.