DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,312
Solutions: 18

What's fixed (or not) in v1.4.3

The purpose of this thread is not to rag on B&N for what is not fixed (nor is it to address desired features that are not included) in v1.4.3.  We already have more than a few threads devoted to that!

The purpose is to list items (ie, existing features) that are fixed or not in v1.4.3.  Obviously some "bugs" are a matter of interpretation, but let's keep it reasonable, so that users can decide if the update is worth it (either for rooters or early downloaders).

Not fixed:

• On-screen keyboard key-click (clicks about 80% of the time).

Fixed:

• In the "NT HIdden Settings" app, the debugging options are only listed once (of primary interest to rooters).
  • The "Shop" page seems redesigned and much less cluttered.

Added:

• "2 page PDF display in landscape" option.
  • Add and check Gift Cards.

Remember, this is for the Nook Tablet.  Someone else is free to start an equivalent thread for the Nook Color.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

Re: What's fixed (or not) in v1.4.3

[ Edited ]
With the update, paragraph/punctuation markers and random numbers are showing up in the book descriptions under "view details" on both the "shop" and "library" sections, making it difficult to read the blurbs. I'm seeing this on about 80 per cent of the books I've checked.
Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Inspired Wordsmith
petesnook
0 Kudos

Good catch. It's also happening to apps and magazines. But my hit rate is closer to about 40 percent on books and only occasionally on apps and mags.

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
0 Kudos

Added: 

Before when clicking BUY on a  Harry Potter listing it would direct you to open the browser and visit Pottermore yourself.  Now the SHOP actually opens the appropriate Pottermore page in the browser for you when you click BUY.

DeanGibson

Newly broken:

• Once an app is downloaded, the download icon at the bottom keeps flashing until reboot.  I don't know if this is a rooted-specific problem.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 52
Kudos: 2,855
0 Kudos

DeanGibson wrote:

Newly broken:

• Once an app is downloaded, the download icon at the bottom keeps flashing until reboot.  I don't know if this is a rooted-specific problem.

Hm, not happening with my stock unit.

Bibliophile
laurieb52

[ Edited ]

Another bug since the update...

I read with the page animations option turned off. Since the update, the page animations  option won't stay turned off. Every once in a while, when the NT goes into sleep mode and is then awakened, page animation is reactivated, even though the box is not checked.  I have to go into settings, turn page animations on, then off again, to reset it to no page animation. Can't figure out the trigger....

Distinguished Correspondent
junonia-shell
0 Kudos

I second what laurieb52 said. My page turns are all messed up too. I do not use that animate page turns and have to keep going into the reader settings and check and uncheck the animate page turns. It lasts while I'm reading the book, but once I go to do something else like surf the internet or use an app, it goes back to animating the page turns. Both my tablet and NC have updated to 1.43 and both have the same problem.
Wordsmith
TnTexas

Page-turn animations work for y'all? Mine simply slide from side to side - even with the animations button checked.

HumbleCorrespondent

The slide effect is the animation. Prior to that, the text just instantaneously changed.
That's just my opinion, you can take it for what it's worth, or just leave it alone.
lochnez
0 Kudos

TnTexas wrote:

Page-turn animations work for y'all? Mine simply slide from side to side - even with the animations button checked.

Same here. Don't care, tho, just observing.
Wordsmith
TnTexas

HumbleCorresondent: The slide effect is the animation. Prior to that, the text just instantaneously changed.

Oooooooh, I didn't realize that. I think the Nook app mimics an actual page turn so that's what I was expecting to see. Wonder why it's a simple sliding effect on the actual device?

flyingtoastr
Topics: 52
Kudos: 2,855

TnTexas wrote:

HumbleCorresondent: The slide effect is the animation. Prior to that, the text just instantaneously changed.

Oooooooh, I didn't realize that. I think the Nook app mimics an actual page turn so that's what I was expecting to see. Wonder why it's a simple sliding effect on the actual device?

I honestly wonder why the app has the fancy animation. Seems like a waste of processing power for no benefit.

DeanGibson

flyingtoastr wrote:

I honestly wonder why the app has the fancy animation. Seems like a waste of processing power for no benefit.

Yep, best save that processing power for when it's really needed.

Reisnice
0 Kudos

Does anybody else find it amusing that BN - a BOOK company - puts out a reader 'update' with such an obvious and easy to find bug in it? Granted, there are quite a few places to test changes in, but it sounds to me like nobody actually USED the applications before they were released. Since there are no advertised release dates, the only timeline was management imposed, and could have slipped a couple weeks to get things right. Or maybe I'm just more sensitive to these things because I do them for a living...
Reisnice
0 Kudos

And am I just expecting too much, or should there be more real enhancements in the time there was between 1.4.2 and 1.4.3? I realize that BN isn't a software company, but if they' re outsourcing development, they need to be looking for a new contractor. Of course if Microsoft is pushing them to Windows 8 now, I guess we're lucky to get anything at all in Android-land.
Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek

Perhaps the bug isn't as obvious as you think. I for one have noticed no problems with 1.4.3 on my Tablet so perhaps it's only apparent with a particular book coding. Perhaps the book you're reading is formed badly -- I've only opened 2 books since my NT was updated.
Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Heritage of Shannara, Lonely Planet: Melbourne & Victoria
Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I've opened 10 or 12 books, and page turn reanimation has happened on every one. On mine, it doesn't reanimate every time the NT temporarily goes to sleep, but if it's in sleep mode for longer periods of time (can't give you an exact time, between an hour and overnite), it reanimates.

The paragraph"<i>" markers and punctuation "#&39" garbage in the book descriptions under "view details" are just as annoying because the only remedy is to go online via web page to read the description. This bug seems to vary widely between books - some are fine, and those with short descriptions usually only have maybe one paragraph marker thrown in; others with longer descriptions and lots of semi-colons&#42 and apostrophes&#8242 are impossible to read because there is so much formatting<p>info littering the description.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

@laurieb52

This is what I am seeing with page animations.  Do you want to test out as well?

Open book.  Go to settings; check and uncheck page animations. Go back to book, all is fine.

Using "n" button, navigate to other book, magazines, apps, or browser.  Do whatever EXCEPT select the home screen.  Backswipe to get out of email or whatever.  To get back to the book.  Page animations is still working the way I want it to (page just changes, not the side to side animation.)

It's when I select the homescreen and open anything really and then go back to the book that the page animation choice isn't working.  (It's still unchecked at this point, but setting is working as if it were checked."  Does that make sense? Thanks for your input.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

Two other things that have been fixed:

1) Highlighting:  It seems like you can now (finally) highlight the very last character in a sentence (or on a page).  :smileyvery-happy:  Though quote marks at the beginning aren't being picked up. (Can' remember if they were before or not.)

2) "Regular Magazines", portrait mode, pinch and zoom.  It looks like you can now see that top 1/4 or 1/2 an inch or the page again. (This was something that was "broken" when the NT came out.)