New User
TedT_CA
0 Kudos

Re: What users want in the NOOKcolor 1.1 update

Just got might in the mail - packaging was destroyed by B&N's shipper - suggest they upgrade to a real trackable company like FedEx and drop the post office.  Could not track it at all...

Anyway, my wife and I played with it a little, both of us had trouble with the keyboard being way too sensitive with many repeated keys.   No adjustment in the "keyboard Setting" - this would be nice...

Also, Wish it enlarged when typed like the iPhone.

Otherwise, so far I like it.  Looking forward to see the battery life.

Thanks

TedT_CA

Bibliophile
laurieb52

Another vote for some picture organizing capability so sideloaded book covers and wallpapers are separate from photos.

Also, a working X button to reduce the search page after a search. Maybe it's something I'm not seeing, but I usually have to go out of the library and come back into get rid of the search frame.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Contributor
dreamfields01

I would like to see extended supported files.  I have the nook 3g AND just bought the color and my library is no longer supported.

Also it would be nice if the landscape would be extended and not just limited to the internet.  

kathy

Contributor
lcrkz0023

To everyone ..heres a tip for a dedicated back function:...simply swipe ur black border bar where arrow and time is at bottom from right to left. For example if ur on webpage it will take u to previous page and so on and the you have setting up..then a book..then facebook..if u swipe right to left it would take u backwards sorta like an "undo" last activity. So if u want a back function simply swipe right to left on that small bar bottom notifcation border hope this helps.
Frequent Contributor
mareofearth

Back swipe tip - thank You! App I would like to see - weather and alarm app so when you look at it in the morning it displays the current conditions and the forecast. Also would like an astronomy app.
Insanity doesn't run in my family, it gallops.
Contributor
TheJohnNewton

Why would Amazon have a fit?  It would just mean more potential customers for it's ebook store.  Limiting your potential customer base is what would make no sense.

I'd like to see the browser keep my zoom level settings when it goes from page to page.

Distinguished Wordsmith
FantasyRider

[ Edited ]

NookBook Wishlist:

It would be nice if the Nook Classic, Nook Color, and B&N.com would use the same NOOKbook wishlist(s),  I tend to bounce between my three e-reading devices and while the Nook Classic and B&N.com wishlists are in sync - the Nook Color wishlist only exists on the Nook Color device.

Bookshelves:

It would be nice to be able to define the bookshelf assignment of a NOOKbook via Nook for PC and/or B&N.com in addition to on the NookColor.  A small thumbnail of the book cover when adding books to custom bookshelf via the Library-My Bookshelf-Edit function would be helppful. 

Download Book:

If this was a 3G device, download individually would be fine.  SInce it is a Wifi based device I'd prefer to be able to have a download "in bulk" option (where 3-5 books download at a time based on be selecting a larger group of books/bookshelf).

BTW -- This is my family's fourth Nook device (first Nook Color) - Love the NookColor 1.0!

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother." Albert Einstein
Contributor
dclaar
0 Kudos

The ability to share for non B&N books! I would have thought that this was a no-brainer, but...you can currently only share from books you buy from B&N! :smileysad:

Correspondent
g0tr00t
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Keyboard: Navigation arrows and Word predict

Inspired Contributor
GTech
0 Kudos

* Support for NOOKstudy / eTextbooks

* Support for annotating & highlighting in PDFs

* Support for editing / creating Office documents

* Support for note-taking OUTSIDE of books

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

I share my non BN books, it's just a matter of sideloading from ADE.

Inspired Contributor
Triggerone

My NookColor arrived today.  It's really beautiful, with a wonderful screen, nice navigation, etc.  Sure wish it would support all those books I bought at Fictionwise and ereader - since they are owned by B&N!  How about B&N - you own it, it should work on your tech!

Reader 2
BuckminsterGodot

Put me down for support of secure eReader formatted books from Fictionwise (wholly owned subsidiary of B&N).  Yes, I should have (apparently) read the supported file types more carefully before I spent the money on the nook color, but come on.  This really isn't making me feel particularly comfortable about purchasing any further DRM protected content from the nook store.  Will I have to worry about losing THOSE books when the nook 3D or whatever comes out next Christmas?

New User
Shalun

[ Edited ]

1. Actually use the Home screen for content. Assumed it was me but apparently no one can add "side loaded" content to the home screen.

2. Pandora account information option to store user name and password.

3. back option as in a finger swipe.

4. An option to update BN content. For example, if I archive crud, I should be able to initiate a synch and have it removed from the Nookcolor not also do a manual archive from the NookColor.

5. When using shelves, remove from "library" or provide an option to see only content not in book shelves.

6. Provide an option to view only a specific auther.

7. tag support for viewing the library (science fiction, fantasy, paranormal, mystery, etc.) as well as search based on tags. See Calibre! or Nookdev.org's Library applet.

8. Why the heck are my book covers in the picture gallery?

I suspect all the above are noted by other users for they are so clearly obvious after less than two hours use but wanted BN to hear yet another frustrated voice.

Reader 2
dacmac

Ability to rearrange shelves - like you can with the 1.5 version on original nooks. 

Ability to download aps

Ability to download music

Tweek the sound - volume doesn't seem to work most of the time.  Maybe this will be "cured" with nookcolor approved earbuds???

Add back "The Daily" and in store specials - liked the free coffee now and then.

Also having trouble with touchscreen on the outer edge (mostly on the right)  - hard to press the "p" on the keyboard or select the right most boxes on the crossword.

But really - didn't know if the new color would be worth ditching my original nook for - but I absolutely LOVE the new nookcolor.  Keep up the great work B&N-nook-engineering-guys!

Inspired Contributor
PingOfDeath
0 Kudos

On the Nook color you can have sub directories on the card.  When you choose the card you see the subdirectories.  That is all you really need to organize your books.  it would be nice to have shelves go X subshelves deep (or call them Book cases -> Shelves ->Etc. . . your choice), but being able to navigate the directory structure of your microSD allows you to do a pretty decent job of organizing side loaded content. . . .which is why I will get a color soon (that and the ability to zoom in on an object).

New User
elizmellis
0 Kudos

I need a calendar!  I also found out today that the NOOKcolor doesn't support .m4v videos, another disappointment.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

This message has been moved to a more appropriate location. This helps to keep our boards organized.

Correspondent
NanaLou

TedT_CA wrote:

Just got might in the mail - packaging was destroyed by B&N's shipper - suggest they upgrade to a real trackable company like FedEx and drop the post office.  Could not track it at all...

I receive all of my packages from B&N and other vendors through Post Office.  B&N includes a Postal tracking number, all you need to do is go to USPS.Com and enter the tracking number.  I have received all my packages damage free.  Possibly it got damaged by the carrier prior to delivery to the Post Office.

Contributor
dpals
0 Kudos

My contribution to the "what users want" list:

Currently, while reading a book, I can highlight text and then perform a Google or wikipedia search on the highlighted text using the "Look-up" feature (which I've found useful). 

However, the search seems to only include the first word in the highlighted text - not all of the words. 

For example, after highlighting the words "Tom Sawyer" and using the Look-Up function, the Nook only searches for "Tom".    Searching for "Tom Sawyer" would be much better.

I hope it is an easy change!