Reader 2
shmeter

Re: What users want in the NOOKcolor 1.1 update

just bought mine and really like it.  the magazine reading interface is indeed clunky, though.  if you just want to zoom in and read the bottom of the page (with pictures and all), it cuts some of the bottom articles off when it's trying to automatically center the page.  (sorry i don't speak tech here).  also, the interface is way too sensitive.  if you get to the bottom of the page by dragging your finger, it pops up the overall menu bar for the magazine instead, or it thinks you want to zoom out and re-center everything. 

this whole magazine reader needs to be adjusted quickly. 

Wordsmith
SCIONTX
0 Kudos

elizmellis wrote:

I need a calendar!  I also found out today that the NOOKcolor doesn't support .m4v videos, another disappointment.

I have several .m4v videos loaded that work. Some people have to convert their videos to work. I haven't had any issues. Just drag from my iTunes folder and they work.

Contributor
JustmyopinionMN
0 Kudos

I'll add a couple of things to the "want" list:

1 / When web browsing, just put the -/+ options at the bottom of the screen permanently.  Having to do the "expand" motion on the screen to bring those up is a waste of time.  Zooming in on a page shouldn't be a two step process.

2 / The ability to block access to certain types of books in the store.  My kids were browsing to find books and you'd be shocked at some of the stuff that comes up when you search on something as innocent as "country".  We don't go in those aisles of the brick and mortar store - I don't want to see those books in my ereader store either. 

3 / Make the touchscreen more sensitive.  Sometimes I have to touch the edge of a page 2 or 3 times for it to register and turn the page.  Seems to be a bit more reliable with the "swipe" motion, but simply touching with my thumb is smoother for me.

4 / I add notes to books as I'm reading.  Would be nice if the Content / Notes & Highlights section would actually list the entire comment/note that I added.  Currently it lists the 1st word of my note and then the "last edited" info.

5 / Add the ability to delete a book from my Nook directly, without having to do so through the my library at B&N.com.

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

Oddly enough you can now delete books on the nook classic in the documents section.

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

bml2k2 wrote:

I would like to see the B&N blogs on Color just like on the regular Nook.  I also do alot of reading at night before I go to sleep.  I think a 'lights off' mode would be nice to try out.  Where the contrast is reverse (black screen, white words).  Otherwise I love it!  It is very nice and easy to use.  So easy that my son is already begging to listen to his books on my NookColor again and again! :smileywink:

That option does exist.   Select the "night" scheme (under font) and turn the brightness all the way down, that's what I do and it's perfect for me.

---------
Don
New User
Grimm75

I love love love my NOOKcolor!

Right now I'd only ask for a few things:

1. Please allow for sideloaded content to be dipslayed on the Home Screen (VITAL)

2. Ability to delete directly from the NOOKcolor

3. Landscape mode for books

4. Some kind of weather app would be cool

Correspondent
NanaLou
0 Kudos

I love the fact that Office Documents can be stored on the NOOKcolor. However, it serves no purpose for being there if you cannot edit them.  At a minimum I should be able to attach notes and then when I am within range of my PC then do an update.

I would also like to have a notepad for jotting notes.

Frequent Contributor
Greeny

"I'd love to see eReader (pdb) support added back like it was on the original nook.  I'm  B&N customer with a LOT of books from B&N owned eReader.com that I'd really like to read on a nook Color, but, as it is now, can't and can't install the B&N app from eReader.com to read them either."

I have to believe this is a bug. I fall into this same place and it simply cannot be intentional. If it is I will be taking the nook color back. I am not about to re-purchase about 25 books, some of which I have not read yet, due to this issue.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Greeny wrote:

I have to believe this is a bug. I fall into this same place and it simply cannot be intentional. If it is I will be taking the nook color back. I am not about to re-purchase about 25 books, some of which I have not read yet, due to this issue.

They may or may not decide to add .pdb support in the future, but it's not a "bug."  It's fully disclosed on the specs page of the item description.  .pdb is *not* listed as a supported file type.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nookcolor/features/techspecs/?cds2Pid=35878

Two different B&N agents have verified that .pdb is not supported.

Contributor
racsw

Having had the first Nook for 6 months, I asked my B&N geek if the new Nook color had any improvement in the battery life.  He smiled, and said "It's much worse.  " If you're lucky, you'll get maybe 6 hours of reading time, and that's if the WiFi is turned off, straight reading time."

While I have suggested this to my wife for Xmas, I am not at all happy about such a short battery life, as I travel a lot, and don't always have a plug available.   In addition, it would make me very unhappy if somehow, B&N were able to provide a longer life battery, and not offer this to existing Nook color owners. 

So I guess what I would want is two fold.  One, A larger capacity battery to give at least a 24hr reading time, and just as important, this upgrade to be offered to existing owners of the color.

OK, what happened to the nice AT&T option??

I was impressed with the unit itself, however.   Unless Amazon does a complete redesign, I think the Nook will win out not only for the color and viewing ease, but most importantly, it's much larger viewing area.  I'll bet a buck though that Amazon brings out the short battery life of the new Nook in their ads.

Contributor
racsw
0 Kudos

Hello,

Do I understand your post correctly in that all of my books that I have purchased with my first Nook will not work in the new color Nook?

Thanks.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

racsw wrote:

Hello,

Do I understand your post correctly in that all of my books that I have purchased with my first Nook will not work in the new color Nook?

Thanks.

It depends on what format they are in.  epubs and pdfs work, pdbs won't.  

Contributor
racsw

I'll have to ask my B&N wizard about what format my books are in.  I have no idea.  I just buy 'em and read 'em.

Thanks and have a very happy Thanksgiving :-)

New User
Graciq321
0 Kudos

You are my hero!!! I was trying to figure out how to do the night time back light and you solved my problem! lol!

On an unrelated note. I would definitely love to have the android market on the nookcolor. I think it would greatly increase its usefulness.

I would also like for it to be able to download and utilize other reader apps such as amazon, borders, sony, etc. That way if you all don't have an ebook I want I won't be stuck in a without options.

Faster page turning speed

More video formats supported

WiFi to automatically to turn of when reading a nook book

Widgets

That is all I can think of for now!

-Grace

Contributor
Dave_K_TN

Hi,

"4. Some kind of weather app would be cool"

The NC does - sorta. Point the NC's browser to http://forecast.weather.gov

(US only, National Weather Service).

Enter your zipcode in the box at the top of that page, click the Go button.

You now have your local weather, forecasts, radar, satellite images. Bookmark it in the NC.

Sort of a pet peeve of mine - I hate seeing folk pay for or use some ad-laden app for information their tax dollars provide already. Especially as that data is the source for all those apps - the only "private" weather radar sites are a very few private airstrips, everybody else uses NEXRAD data, provided by the NWS.

New User
WobbleGA
0 Kudos

I've only had my Nook Color for a day and haven't fully explored all features but I already have "wants" for the next version of the firmware:

1) Magazines pretty much suck, and newspapers are worse. I bought a copy of USA Today for $0.75 and got straight text like on a mobile phone, not the colorful pages that USA Today is known for. Didn't even get photos. Afterwards I realized that the free version that you can get with the web browser by going to the web site is the best. So what are they offering with a subscription that you don't get by going to the web site? Nothing.

2) Touch screen is a little quirky, slow, and sometimes not very sensitive, unlike the iPhone and iPad. Like most other people, I want pinch-to-zoom in the web browser. Android supports it, so what's the problem.

3) Need more volume on the speakers. I had it read a children's book to my granddaughter and she could barely hear it at full volume. I don't want her to have to wear headphones for this.

4) Would like animated pages turning in books. As it is, the pages turn instantaneously and if you blink your eyes, you are not quite sure if the page actually turned unless you take a few seconds to examine the page. Sometimes it misses page turns, which is related to the touch screen sensitivity issue discussed previously.

My guess, and hope, is that while this 1.0 first release was rushed to market with some issues, the 1.1 release with Android 2.2 or 2.3 will be a charm. The hardware and screen are incredible, and with the right software/firmware, it can be a great device. 

Distinguished Correspondent
morgman
0 Kudos

How about make it so we can post on this board with our Nook Color web browser.  I found it very ironic that I can't post here from the nook. 

Also, for the first hardware update, standard USB charging is a must so we can leveraged existing computer and car USB charges.  Especially until we get battery that lasts longer.  

Wordsmith
watchingDclock
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

g0tr00t wrote:

Keyboard: Navigation arrows and Word predict

I second the navigation arrows for the keyboard. When inputting text, it's an absolute chore to correct or add anything to what you've already typed. Trying to touch the area of text you want to correct or add to is often an exercise in frustration and/or futility.

racsw wrote:

So I guess what I would want is two fold.  One, A larger capacity battery to give at least a 24hr reading time

What you're asking would require a battery the size of a brick. :smileytongue: In other words, you're not going to see anywhere close to that kind of battery life on something with a backlit LCD anytime soon (it's the backlight that's the biggest drain on the battery). The LED backlight on the Nook Color is as good as you're going to get as far as power consumption, short of a transflective LCD.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

@Shalum,

The option to view a specific author is already there - you can either type in a search, or set your bookshelf but by "genre"-author.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Frequent Contributor
Greeny
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

They may or may not decide to add .pdb support in the future, but it's not a "bug."  It's fully disclosed on the specs page of the item description.  .pdb is *not* listed as a supported file type.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nookcolor/features/techspecs/?cds2Pid=35878

Two different B&N agents have verified that .pdb is not supported.

Sadly I assumed that this was an accidental omission and that they would support the books they sell...... I know, never assume, but it seemed really safe to assume. Kind of like GM parts working on GM cars kind of thing. Since these ebooks were purchased at B&N I assumed that it would work on a B&N device.