Contributor
Dave_K_TN
0 Kudos

Re: What users want in the NOOKcolor 1.1 update

Hi,

After using the the NC for a week, here's my 1.x update wish-list:

Improve the PDF viewer. At the very least enable internal PDF navigation (bookmark / index), better still internal nav and hyperlink support. Would also be nice to have a note taking tool, especially if those notes were bound to the PDF file. One of my magazine subscriptions is to Scientific American Digital (PDF downloads) - very rich content, crippled on the NC. Also, they sometimes break giving a Quick PDF error message. Workaround: The breakage occurs sometimes on full page ads in the issue. Scroll past those quick enough and the file will stay open. Or play the guessing game and jump with the goto page feature.

Give us export means to the annotations we make, ebook / PDF / Office documents.

Bookshelves randomly break on SD card hosted ebooks. The shelf container stays, those ebooks are sometimes dropped. Workaround: Place ebooks in the NC's internal storage.

Give us some degree of file management at the very least on SD storage. Better still: Let us backup NC internal store to SD.

Let us push our side loaded (USB transferred or SD card hosted) ebooks onto the home page.

File transfer by WiFi with the user's local resources, i.e. laptop / netbook, desktop machine or NAS (network file serve appliance).

An ebook is an ebook, not a "file". They - wherever they are stored -  should be shown as ebooks in the Keep Reading Menu. While we're at it, how about upping the count there from 3 to 5.

Skype support in the ebook. No, I'm not crazy - I know the NC doesn't sport a cam or mic. Skype does IM. It would be nice to "dial up" a friend direct rather than passing through FB or Twitter. Some of us don't do FB or tweet.

Music player needs an equalizer and playlist management.

Speaking of music - and internet radio ... Pandora is nice. So are other radio sites. Support for web served .pls / .m3u lists would be good.

---

Would not be part of NC software / OS update but would be nice to have:

A right angle USB connector adapter. Make it so the NC side clips to or is supported by the NC frame. Would make reading while charging less of a hassle / scary (break that itty-bitty internal connector = immediate need for a new NC. Plus the non B&N content of the NC can't be retrieved).

A longer USB cable, 1.5 or 2 meter.

A easel-style support and charging station.

Hurry up with the NC SDK! I've several ideas (some on the list above) that are Android-doable, but need specifics on the NC flavor of it.

Wordsmith
watchingDclock
0 Kudos

Hurry up with the NC SDK!

Yes. It's beyond ridiculous that the SDK hasn't been opened up to anyone outside of a very few circle of companies. The Nook Color itself is great (beyond great, actually), but B&N really, really dropped the ball with the logistics of their app store launch.

Contributor
the_joey_o
0 Kudos

Here's my wants for 1.1: Features: -Swype or predictive keyboard. -Flash support. -App store. -NookStudy with text books and note taking. -Comicbooks & manga. -Remote syncing with a computer (maybe some sort of cloud syncing). Bug fixes: -Myriad of text input issues. -Video lag, skipping and artifacting (hopefully fixed by flash).
Contributor
the_joey_o
0 Kudos

Oh, and fix .Gifs!
Contributor
racsw
0 Kudos

Reading some other suggestions brings another one to mind, although I am probably in the minority on this one.

The designed intent for the Nook or the Kindle was to be an electronic reader, a modern way of viewing books, magazines and other periodicals.   It will no doubt mature after a few years, like everything else, in doing this job splendidly.  In time, it will be quick, colorful, efficient, easy to use, have good graphic and picture capabilities, mostly bug free and have good battery life.   As it matures and gains favor with the buying public as a respected method of buying and reading books and publications, publishers of printed periodicals will seek some form of standardized formats so they can present their product to manufacturers of various ereaders.  

At some point, it will reach somewhat the end of the goal as far as an ereader goes.

There are some folks who want to see all types of other applications included in these ereaders, much the way that the IPad has done.   I am hoping that these applications are very limited however, so that the intended purpose of having a good ereader is not lost.  I can agree with applications that improve it's intended function as an ereader, but not applications to get email, answer phone calls or other purposes that belong to the realm of a laptop.

The Nook Color is introduced at $249, but that will no doubt drop as Amazon ups the anty with their soon to be introduced competitor to the Nook.  All this will do is improve the product and and keep the cost at reasonable levels.   If some folks want a lot more flexibility and applications, they can either pay the big bucks for the IPad or get a Netbook.  But IMO B&N should remain focused on providing an excellent ereader, and only adding modifications that will work towards maturing this fine product.  I think it's a great idea and a great product by B&N.  

I think its very helpful for B&N to provide this forum to measure the fit and function of the two ereaders now on the shelf, and listen to the owners as they report on things they believe will make it a better product.   Well done.

Design is a plan for arranging elements in such a way as best to accomplish a particular purpose.

— Charles Eames

Contributor
VanillaBay
0 Kudos

Rutter9 ...

"After it prints me some money there better be a rake back yard feature. These leaves won't rake themselves! I nailed an update to the tree but it shrugged off the idea last rain storm."

LOL ... love that imagery ... which is why I am a reader since 6 years of age ... I get to create my own internal video from the words the author feeds me ...

Contributor
VanillaBay
0 Kudos

got root ...

few hours later I find my self holding bags of gadgets and a smoking debit card....

ROFL ... you've got it, too !! Early Adopter Syndrome in the setting of OCD !!

Contributor
racsw
0 Kudos

What you're asking would require a battery the size of a brick. :smileytongue:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Technically you are correct, at least using todays current battery technology.   However, if there was enough user feedback indicating this as a problem, B&N could simply increase the overall size a little and  provide the reader with more screen area and use the increased size to house a larger lithium battery.    And employing suggestions such as automatically turning off WiFi if reading could help extend battery life.    Just a thought ...

Contributor
VanillaBay
0 Kudos

Dave_K ...

The NC does - sorta. Point the NC's browser to http://forecast.weather.gov

(US only, National Weather Service).

Bravo, Dave !! Very useful info ... I didn't know this existed ... thanks ...

New User
DAhlstedt
0 Kudos

Having had about a week of near joy with my NOOKcolor, I think a couple of enhancements for 1.1 would be nice.

1) an eBook is an eBook. It shouldn't matter if the ePub is sideloaded or downloaded from eStore. Metadata should display as any other eBook - cover graphic, load to home page, etc. My Files locations should function as logical file system extension to base file system locations

2) ability to export eBook notes, format not critical as long as at least available through USB link.

3) better mp3 player - support of playlists, resume from last played for albums (needed for audio book playback),

For 1.2 better video support

And sometime in the near future an AppStore - Please...

So, thanks for getting it near spot on out of the shoot. Great physical format, eBooks work as advertised, and most of the toys are pretty useable.

Keep up the updates, and don't forget that it's really an eReader on steroids.

Correspondent
g0tr00t
0 Kudos

VanillaBay wrote:

got root ...

few hours later I find my self holding bags of gadgets and a smoking debit card....

ROFL ... you've got it, too !! Early Adopter Syndrome in the setting of OCD !!

Oh yes...I am glad for some return policies.  I have really bought some junk over the years...

Frequent Contributor
BluesBaby
0 Kudos

I've been waiting for a 5-7" inch LCD e-reader for well over two years, and I finally got mine today!

I realize this is a first-gen device as far as one with an LCD goes, but I really wish they hadn't dropped the pdb support.  I have the original Nook as well and was able to sideload my 400+ pdbs on it.  It would have been fabulous to have all my ebooks in one place.

Also, and this one isn't a biggie, I'd really like to see better integration of purchased and sideloaded content into just one seamless library. 

My biggest desire is to have more customizable themes, particularly because I find the Night theme to be just too darned bright.  I've tried tuning down the overall brightness but then the text isn't visible enough.   I really like the background that was used for the Night theme on the Android Nook app...it is truly black...and I guess I could happily live with that on the NOOKcolor rather than lusting after separate color choices for both the background and text even though having these choices would be ideal.

Frequent Contributor
BluesBaby
0 Kudos

Oops, the second item I had in my wish list already exists!  I don't know why my sideloaded ebooks weren't showing up after I unplugged from my laptop and looked for them; but after I shut the NOOKcolor down and brought it back up after fully recharging it, there they all were in the main library.  So cool!

Inspired Contributor
PingOfDeath
0 Kudos

Bring back the ability to change fonts in sideloaded ebooks (PDF esp)  like the original nook can.  Keep the ability to zoom as that is needed for diagrams, but when you zoom the page does not adjust line endings.

New User
EnoSIII
0 Kudos

At the risk of repeating something that has already been said... (way too many messages to wade through right now)... here is my list.

1. I can read my e-mail on three different services (MSN, Gmail and Outlook)... but I can't reply to even one of them.  The "keyboard" will not come back up after typing the "Subject".

2. The "Q" does not work on the crossword puzzle "extra".  The "Q" does work everywhere else.

3. The NC needs a "note pad" app of some sort!

4. The NC needs a simple calendar app as well.

5. It would sure be nice if the audio player would read WMA files... for many of the audio books out there.

I'm learning that some of the little NC "tics" are more "technical difficulties between my headphones" than problems with the NC.

I've had it since 11/22/2010 and have already read two books "borrowed" from the local public library.  Nice!

Do the nice folks at B&N read these?  Hope so!

New User
AndoOKC

List of what I want...

1. Pinch to zoom web browser

2. The USB times out if the screen goes too dim for too long while transferring large files. I keep having to turn the NookColor back on when transferring gigs of files over, otherwise it disconnects,

3. Browser should not flip orientation when accessing the quick settings while browsing or in quick office

4. Quickoffice is nice but is too slow and alot of the the files (word documents) I have are not displayed properly

5. Compatibility for Compiled HTM Help Files

6. Flash support

7. Android market

8. Android OS 2.2 (Froyo)

9. Ability to switch between music player and quickoffice. Currently, it is not a very intuitive process. Also, quickoffice has to totally reload everything which again the extremely slow speed of quickoffice is almost prohibitory when dealing with large files say (25 mb)

Reader
Tradr-GA
0 Kudos

Fix the PDF experience. My only complaint thus far is that the NC doesn't return to the last page read when returning to opened PDF books/docs.  I have a lot of PDF docs/books. They are my secondary source of reading material on my NC.  If I go to another task (settings, home screen, browser etc) then return to my pdf book it always returns to the cover page.  I've developed the habit of checking my current page before I switch tasks so that I can use the 'go to page' feature when I return to the book. This is not a good user experience. I trust that future software upgrades will address this and a lot of the other issues raised, I just hope this this fix will be in the first iteration.

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

Seriously all I want is to read pdb files, I have a bunch of books that I haven't read yet!!

Oh and maybe a plan for 3g, I hate this aspect of the nookcolor.

Frequent Contributor
BluesBaby
0 Kudos

I know I've already added a few items here, but after using my NC over the weekend, I have another issue and a clarification of one I have already given.

Since this is an ereader and not a full-blown Android tablet, I will not ask for all the goodies that most of the high-end tablets have.  That's not really a fair request.  However, what the NOOKcolor does it should do really well.

I've been getting extremely frustrated using the crossword app.  The touchscreen doesn't seem sensitive enough or else it isn't calibrated correctly.  If this is a sensitivity issue, I'm not sure if that can be corrected with a software update or if the actual hardware is at fault.

I've tried, but I just can't comfortably use this reader in the dark or in other dim lighting situations, which is how I generally most often read with a back-lit screen.  However, the Android nook app seems to be designed to do this really well.  On the NC if I use use the night theme and dim the brightness, there just isn't enough contrast to read the text easily and the background is still way too bright anyway.  I know this seems like a small thing, but it's becoming a deal breaker for me. 

Reader 2
shmeter
0 Kudos

I've noticed the crossword puzzles have sensitivity issues, too.  The right side of the puzzle screen's synaptic response time is lame.  You have to tap the hell out of it to get it to register sometimes. 

I would think they would be able to fix that in a software update, however.