New User
Tonyhix
0 Kudos

Re: What users want in the NOOKcolor 1.1 update

Catagories for the book searches. There should be a way to browes sections of books the same as if your in the store. I should be able to look up all the self help books in the catalogue whether 'self help' is in the title or not.

Also, New Yorker magazine doesn't work for NC but is availible for download anyway. not good.

Don't get me wrong. Love my NookColor, just want to enhance the experience.

Contributor
book4me2you
0 Kudos

I have not been able to play any videos. mp4 or other

Distinguished Correspondent
gaming_grandma
0 Kudos

ADOBE FLASH...I didn't think I would miss it, but I do.

Love the Nookcolor.

New User
kbatrus
0 Kudos

I would like to be able to check my email, facebook, and post on forums.

I know this might be crazy, but I am a subscriber to People magazine, and they have a free complimentary subscription to the ipad app for the magazine...I don't know if the Nook Color will allow me to read this type of file but it would be great!

I also agree that being able to watch video would be fabulous.  I am not wanting it to replace my phone, but I am hoping that when I get a chance to play with it I could quit carrying my laptop and carry this all the time!

Maybe Documents to go and the ability to sync with Outlook calendar and contacts!!!!!

I don't use the google calendar and contacts, but I have been told that I can sync outlook to google and then maybe sync the nook to google?  Too many steps for me for efficiency but I would still do it to make it work for me.

Can I email from the Nook Color?

Sorry if these seem like dumb questions but the store was crowded and I couldn't play with it to see what it would actually do and the description on the web wasn't clear enough for me.

Thanks for the help!

New User
Meomaxy
0 Kudos

New user, just played with it a few days now.

My wish list so far is:

pinch-zoom in web browser

app store

This is not only my first eReader, but also my first device with a multi-touch display. I'm finding that when I type on the Nook Color I accidentally get doubled keystrokes very often. Entering my email address and password is such a chore because I'm always doubling letters, and sometimes doubling the backspace. If I were typing on my Nook now, it wwouldd lloook somethinng likee tthiss. Either I need better technique, lick my fingertips or something, or the keyboard algorithm could use a little intelligent de-bouncing.

Contributor
Rufus69
0 Kudos

I'd really like animated pages...sort of like how the iPad reads books. Also the ability to read my digital comics .cbf files would be great. More magazines. And one thing...watching all the video reviews of the Nook Color on CNET or ENGADGET I noticed their NCs had different "cooler" wallpapers. More wallpapers would be nice.

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

I may have already posted this in this thread.....but it's too long to read all the way through to check.

What I'd like to see is the unit's MAC address shown during the initial startup or whenever you "look" for local WiFi hotspots.   A number of places (such as my home WiFi) filter based on MAC address and not knowing (especially during the initial startup where you MUST log onto a WiFi hot spot before you can use the NC) it means having to modify the WiFi router to remove that filter in order to allow the system to attach.

Once the NC is started (and once it's registered...at all times) then you can get the MAC address from the information page.   But that information is not available during initial startup and should be.

---------
Don
New User
clpsr100

Perhaps it's been posted already but would like the ability to connect via Wi-Fi without the SSID being broadcasted.  The Nook does not have this issue but it seems the Nookcolor does, unable to connect to my Wi-Fi unless it's broadcasting the SSID.

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

clpsr100 wrote:

Perhaps it's been posted already but would like the ability to connect via Wi-Fi without the SSID being broadcasted.  The Nook does not have this issue but it seems the Nookcolor does, unable to connect to my Wi-Fi unless it's broadcasting the SSID.

I agree....forgot about that one.

---------
Don
Reader 4
NuclearNerd1

[ Edited ]

+1 to:

• a lower brightness setting for night reading
  • locked address bar in browser, so I don't need to scroll to the top
  • sideloaded content on daily shelf/ homescreen
  • better recognition of book cover art for sideloaded content
  • seperation of pictures within gallery
  • ability to close Pandora without logging out
  • battery indication from pop-up settings box
  • pinch to zoom for web
  • sensativity of right edge while using crossword
  • ability to export notes as standalone file, or notepad app
  • lending of sideloaded content
  • calendar that can sync with google calendar

Contributor
natureofanomad
0 Kudos

I certainly agree with the desire for flash support. 

I haven't seen how this might work, but I have several .pdf's that I like using my NookColor for and I want to be able to search within those documents (as done in epub books) and for those to auto bookmark when closing like regular books.  Does this exist?  If not, can we make it happen?

Really enjoy the NookColor.

Wordsmith
SCIONTX
0 Kudos

BluesBaby wrote:
... I just can't comfortably use this reader in the dark or in other dim lighting situations, which is how I generally most often read with a back-lit screen.  However, the Android nook app seems to be designed to do this really well.  On the NC if I use use the night theme and dim the brightness, there just isn't enough contrast to read the text easily and the background is still way too bright anyway.  I know this seems like a small thing, but it's becoming a deal breaker for me.

I agree the lowest brightness setting could be dimmer. If you're not comfortable reading on it you should return it. Keep checking to see if an update has corrected this, then purchase again.

Inspired Contributor
Mark_F
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ok, caveat:  I've only had my nook color for one day.  I'll start with just the things that need fixed - I haven't had it long enough to think about new feature requests.

NETWORK:

1.   I unpacked yestered to find issues with the wireless.  There is no way to skip the intial wireless setup and configure it later - you can't get out of the menu until you setup something.  Oh, and if you mistype the SSID after entering that crazy long passphrase you can't edit the connection you have to forget it and start over.

2. Wireless N doesn't work at all with my Netgear WNDR3700 

3.  Neither N nor B/G would work without SSID broadcast.  I couldn't get them to work by entering the information manually.

USER INTERFACE:

The keyboard is ridiculously sensitive - when I was trying to enter my phassphrase for the network I found I had to be extrememly quick and precise and I'd still occasionally get double or even triple key presses.  Strangly, this was not the case in the web browser.  The keyboard seems to function correctly in the web browser.

GALLERY:

don't load a lot of pictures 

All folders are merged together resulting in no way to speed up picture browsing.  I understand that it takes a while to create thumbnails and such but it would take less time if we could operate on smaller sets using folders.

VIDEOS:

I noticed that some MP4 videos don't play but I can't figure out why some do and some don't.  I think it may be a file size limitation.

Ok, this one might actually be a feature request.  I'd like to be able to have the brightness set to the minimal setting when reading but brighter otherwise.  - I guess you could call that context sensitive screen brihtness settings.

UPDATE: 

I wasn't aware that ePubs could not be read in landscape.  This absolutely should be fixed.

One more, and I promise that is all for now:

Music controls should always be accessible.  I found that to pause music I had to go all the way back to the music app.  I would like to be able to at least do basic pause,play,next - perhaps from the Music Note that shows up for notifications.

Also, I moved this post to this thread after seeing a message from an admin requesting requests go here.

Reader 2
RobertNoDiNero
0 Kudos

MP4s that are 854x480 or less work fine on my color.

Reader 2
RobertNoDiNero
0 Kudos

Please, Please ebooks in landscape:

In my life (pro poker player) there are tons of situations where reading in portrait mode is awkward or not possible.  Love the Color (I needed books, music, and web browsing).  Landscape books would make my day.

Contributor
deb_wms

I also agree with user "RS Brown"'s suggestion made on the NOOK Newsstand board:  

"BN needs to consider adding capabilities in the software that will allow users to 'tag' or 'rip out' favorite pictures, articles or recipes from magazines, in a similar way than is done with highlighting or bookmarking in books. Users should be able to store these 'favorites' in the documents folder on the device."

Reader
nicov
0 Kudos

BUG:

-When you pinch-and-zoom a magazine page, and then pan over to the edge, the page turns, and you have to start all over. I'd like to see the system recognize the difference between panning and swiping. 

FEATURE/CONTENT REQUESTS

I'd really like to see "Notes" separated from "Highlights" in the contents menu, and I'd like to see that contents page display what I wrote in the note thumbnail, rather than the passage I attached the note to. 

Persistent back button -- yes!

Ability to zoom in on newspaper pictures

Comic books!

Word processor

The ability to look up a phrase in the B&N store, alongside looking it up in Google and Wikipedia

B&N might not have much to do with this, but I'd love to see apps like Instapaper, Evernote, and Overdrive. I'd also like to see LendMe and the social stuff linked into something like Goodreads or Copia

Frequent Contributor
cssathya
0 Kudos

Before I start my wishlist for 1.x, I want to give my perspective on the Nook Color buyer. There are a number of competing tablets out there (or soon to arrive). If people preferred NC compared to iPad or a Kindle, it is primarily because they want a more open device (expandable memory, easy connectivity to computer) with better support for other file formats (PDF, ePUB). These were my main draws at least to NC, but over the last week, I've become somewhat disillusioned because the support seems half-hearted, which leads to my wishlist.

1. Better PDF support - annotation, bookmarks, reflow, pinch to zoom, margin reduction. These are needed at a minimum to enhance what a lot of users are using NC for - to read PDF files, especially technical books/documents
  2. No distinction between 'sideloaded' content and 'downloaded' content. Why should the device care where the content came from? It should treat both equally - be it displaying them in the shelves or organizing them. The biggest draw for NC compared to Kindle is the 'sideloading' feature - why kill it by adding restrictions?
  3. 'Notepad' and 'Calendar' apps at a minimum. When reading documents, its quite common to get some ideas and it would be great to jot them down on the NC itself, especially when it has such a nice virtual keyboard.
  4. Related to the previous issue, 'copy/paste' support from ePUB and PDF files to the Notepad. This will be very useful especially when reading technical documents if I want to just extract some portions for future use (like code snippets). Along the same line of thought, a way to export the notes to the computer when connected.
  5. Ability to add support for other file formats (like DJVU, PDB, CBR, CBZ, CHM preferably) either as part of NC itself or at least by means of other apps. Again, why limit users from getting the maximium out of the device - a la iPad style? Why not let users use the device the best they see fit? B&N can still make a lot of money with their store, children's books, magazines, etc. Making the device open will increase loyalty to the device.
  6. Brightness support within non ePUB readers (PDF, Word, etc.)
  7. Landscape and pinch-to-zoom options for the ePUB reader. While it's great that CBR/CBZ files can be converted to ePUB and read on NC, the form factor makes it a bit hard and having the ability to pinch/zoom or landscape will help alleviate the issue.

I strongly feel that making these fixes will make the NC experience all the more enjoyable.

Frequent Contributor
KeWaDaHa
0 Kudos

I love my NOOKcolor!  I am still learning what it can do. I do wish it had a calendar and it would be nice if we could download some other games.  Sometimes I don't want to think that much when I am playing. 

Distinguished Correspondent
scott88
0 Kudos

Mark_F wrote:

3.  Neither N nor B/G would work without SSID broadcast.  I couldn't get them to work by entering the information manually.

I have connected to a network that does not broadcast with no problmes. I even am able to reconect to it after shutting down.

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.