Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure

Re: What users want in the NOOKcolor 1.1 update

[ Edited ]

In order to use your own photo as wallpaper you have to go to settings>home>set wallpaper>photo gallery and then find your picture and select the portion of it you want for your home wallpaper and it will be set.

As far as the charger and the usb cord, that is more a hardware issue and isn't mainly about having the little n light light up.  It is due to the additional pins used to quick charge the NC.  They are at higher voltage I believe.  You can do a search on the forums regarding the use of a regular usb cord with the NC.  I think it has been said that if it is off another usb might charge it, but very slowly.  Don't quote me though and do search for info on this. 

And someone mentioned the AT&T option.  I'm not sure but think you mean 3G.  They would have to charge for this like any devices data plan.  As it is on 3G nooks 3G is only used to buy ebooks and download them.

My wish is in the realm of the unlikely and has to do with content.  I wish we could lend magazines and newspapers and I also wish we could use gift cards for them and pay for a 1 year subscription and have a way to gift such content.  I mean buy someone an ebook or magazine 1 year subscription as a gift.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Wordsmith
SCIONTX
0 Kudos

robodojo wrote:

SCIONTX wrote:

You can use your own images for wallpaper. Place the images in the "wallpaper" folder. This is located in the folder "my files".

I get my images from here:

http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper_beta/downloads/date/any/

From the drop down menu select Apple Devices:  iPad resolution 1024 x 1024

Looks great on the device. Of course you can make your own images to use.

Huh. I don't seem to get an option as to where a downloaded image is placed. It goes into "files" and it seems impossible to move it from there. What am I missing here? 

I should have been clearer. Do this on a computer. Then move the images to the wallpaper folder on the NOOKcolor.

deemure
0 Kudos

You can place pictures in either the picture folder or the wallpaper folder on your NOOKcolor.  The only difference it seems is that if you put them in your picture folder and want one for wallpaper you have to go to photo gallery in your settings to pick it.  If you put it in the wallpaper folder, you go to wallpaper.  The images still show up in your photo gallery, so you can show off personal pictures from there even if you put them under wallpaper.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Contributor
jsorvik
0 Kudos

BlueTooth PLEASE!!!!

Here are my wishlist items:

• Enhanced PDF Support including last page read, book marks, and possibly even editing of documents.
  • An ability to edit office documents. Huge for note taking while reading text books, manuals, and other informational (business) books as well as allowing me to "tweak" important documents while traveling/flying/etc.
  • As others have said, the ability to export my notes from books would be invaluable!
  • Please, oh please, turn on the Bluetooth in the OMAP 3261 processor! Wireless headphones and the ability to use a portable BT keyboard for emails and note taking when reading text books and PDFs would make this product AWESOME!!!
  • A decent email client
  • General stability enhancement (I know you are already working on this)
  • Flash Support

I am looking forward to your App Store to open up a little more of the functionality in this product!

New User
low516
0 Kudos

An "off" or "stop" option on the music, instead of just pause.

Better response when trying to type in my security code after nook color is woken up.  Sometimes it takes tons of tapping before my code is acknowledged and sometimes the first try works.

Frequent Contributor
Chiclitz
0 Kudos

My two cents (mostly just agreeing with previous members):

• Landscape option for all supported ebook formats
  • Enhanced PDF Support including last page read, book marks, and zoom
  • Ability to create & export notes via simple .txt file editor
  • Ereader support for .txt files
  • Improved touch screen response for Crossword app (onscreen objects on left and right edges are not easy to activate)

Also, I'd rather see the NC extended and enhanced specifically as an ereader rather than generally as an inexpensive android tablet. I'll grant it's tough to carve a hard and fast line between those two conceptions, if only because nothing like a truly great onboard dictionary exists yet and because engaging any text involves more than merely hoovering up its words.

Nevertheless, I'd rather see the NC be tweaked to support a wider range of existing ebook formats and render them all "flawlessly" than see its possibilities as an ereader sidelined for the sake of social networking or general digital consumption.

Wordsmith
SCIONTX
0 Kudos

Chiclitz wrote:

Also, I'd rather see the NC extended and enhanced specifically as an ereader rather than generally as an inexpensive android tablet. I'll grant it's tough to carve a hard and fast line between those two conceptions, if only because nothing like a truly great onboard dictionary exists yet and because engaging any text involves more than merely hoovering up its words.

Nevertheless, I'd rather see the NC be tweaked to support a wider range of existing ebook formats and render them all "flawlessly" than see its possibilities as an ereader sidelined for the sake of social networking or general digital consumption.

Well said!

Inspired Contributor
Zxybabydoll
0 Kudos

:smileywink:First of all, I just got my new NC. I am ecstatic! It is the best Ereader I have used yet! OMG! Thanks B & N!:robotvery-happy: I know that some of these may have already been added to this list but I want my 2 cents to be added...

My (Long) list of wants (and fixes) are:

• A REAL MUST: Pinch to zoom on the Browser & EPUB files- really ALL files on this device- we ARE on Android 2.1 after all.... Also, I want the ability to have the NC remember the zoom I have from the previous page so I don't have to waste time constantly re zooming pages!!!
  • A MUST: Better organization of ALL files on the NC! When I first got my NC a few days ago, I put my books on the NC in different files, filed first by Author then by Book- NOT a complex filing system, BUT it wouldn't load my books that way. I had to put ALL of my 71 books into the 1 Book folder of the NC! And in addition to that mess, now with the picture viewer, B&N need to let us folder our pics and VIEW them as such in the PICTURE VIEWER, not just the file manager!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
  • A MUST: A FULLY customizable eBook experience. I.E.: ANY color of text, background colors & fonts. Also let us have a more refined Page Turning experience.
  • Remember the LAST page read on eBooks and Web, etc.
  • A MUST: The ability for the NC to read (AT LEAST) ALL of the formats of the Original Nook, & comics, etc.
  • A MUST: The ability to add ALL Ebooks including side-loaded books onto the home screen, regardless of where I got the books or which format they are in.
  • An Android Market app, a Calendar app, a reading timer?, a notepad that lets you read, edit and review all notes taken on individual eBooks.
  • The ability to SEE ALL the Ebook covers (if It was included in book download etc.) regardless of where I got the book or what format it is in.
  • An easier way to find and download FREE Ebooks from B&N. Maybe a dedicated place to get them, like Aldiko has.(Right now I look from my computer and get them from B&N.com, etc. And save them to my library.)
  • Add Google books to the e reading experience- Google books will be out soon with over 4 million eBooks available- and millions of them FREE!
  • The ability to remember my last page read IN ALL FORMATS of eBooks, and remember my last web page visited- If I accidentally touch the wrong place on the screen and takes me to, say, the home screen it ALWAYS makes me start from the home page in the browser- VERY FRUSTRATING!!! I want it to keep my current page until I choose to exit that page!
  • A MUST: The ability to read ALL formats of Content in both the reg. View AND the landscape view!
  • I personally do not want a full time back button on everything on the NC, but maybe add a back button to the clock area or the menu that is accessed when touching the clock area of the screen. Possibly add a back button, forward, battery info, weather to the current options on the menu that already contains: Wi-Fi on/off, Mute, Orientation & Brightness.
  • Remember typed info in browser and other log in info for the NC.
  • Last FM or other "Extra" multimedia options for those of us who like to listen to music AND read at the same time.
  • The ability to touch the screen to check what page and chapter you are on. VERY useful!
  • A MUST (PLEASE :smileywink:): Bluetooth connectivity!
  • A more advanced Music player that allows for a FULL stop when you are done listening to music and also a way to separate Audio books for easy listening.

Now, ALL that said, I truly love my NC, but if they were to fix some of the glitches then I will be even happier. On a side note, My touch screen seems fine (knock on wood) as yet, I don't have  an overly sensitive or UN-sensitive touch screen (yet- that I have noticed...)

Thanks y'all for listening. I am a first time poster to this site, Good Luck To Us All!

:smileyvery-happy:

Contributor
highpowermom
0 Kudos

exporting notes

To everyone who wants to export your book notes into a text file or Word doc:  
Try the Nook Study app for your PC or Mac.  Notes in your books will sync to the Study app, and from there you can export them as either a Word doc or text file.  If you take notes in the Study app on your computer, they will also sync to your Nook color (either on app restart or when you manually press the sync button in the lower left corner of the Study app).
Which leads me to my wishlist:
  • For years I've wished for the ability to link passages within a book, between different books, and between my books and notes.  Nook Study does that!  However, they don't sync to the Nook device.  So my wish is for the Nook device and Nook Study to integrate more fully.  I want to be able to create those same links on my device when I'm away from my computer.  I'm not a student, but I read and make notes for personal growth and bible study, and I've waited years for a book reader that would do this.
  • I'd also like to be able to bring Office docs into Nook Study (currently you can only bring in PDF files) so I can have all notes, charts, etc. related to one course in one place... but there's probably a "Nook Study" thread somewhere I should be posting that in. :smileyhappy:
  • Support for note taking outside of a book, whether a standalone notepad or better yet, Office doc that can sync back to Nook Study.
  • For making notes and highlights in books:  (1)  The selection feature is picky.  You can extend the end point of your highlight, but not the start point.  Even being very, very careful I can't drop the start point precisely in the right spot most of the time, so please let me extend in both directions.  (2)  I'd like to be able to copy/cut/paste within and between notes.
  • Keyboard:  I can't tell if it's too sensitive, or not sensitive enough.  Like a previous user, I get a lot of doubled letters.  But I can't type as quickly as I can on my iPhone, which is more responsive.  Besides cut/copy/paste, an autocorrect would be nice.  It's hard to go back and forth between keyboarding on my iPhone and my Nook color because the keyboard experience is so different.
  • Consistency between the different ways to zoom and navigate, e.g. pinch and zoom, double-tap, +/- button, and no zoom at all in books.  I keep forgetting when to use which method since there is a different way in each type of media.
  • Back swipe (i.e., swiping across the black status bar):  would like this to work within the book.  For example, if I use the TOC or search to jump to a different place in the book, back swipe should take me back to my last place.  Currently it dumps me completely out of the book into the library.
  • I switch between day and night modes every day, so it would be nice to have a one-button way to switch between my two favorite presets without having to scroll through the list every time.
  • Like others have noted, file folder/album organization for photos.  I love having an oversized "brag book". :smileyhappy:
Finally--I keep seeing reference to a "music player" and "video player".  I can't find these things.  How do you launch music and video?
I think I forgot to mention... I LOVE my Nook color!  I finally have hope of a device that works the way I read and am really looking forward to its development.

Contributor
KayakerBob
0 Kudos

What would I like to see added to the NOOKcolor ? First of all, I understand this is a ebook reader and not advertised as a fully functional tablet, but since we already have the hardware, why not add extra functionality ?

Android 2.2/FLASH support

Display side loaded books & files to home page, better integration of B&N and sideloaded books

A dictionary interface. I want to be able to type in a word and get the definition instead of just waiting until I stumble upon the word in a book.

Basic notepad/Wordpad for notes, to-do lists, etc.... with save to file. (I have lots of random thought while reading)

Read ePub in landscape

PDF and doc bookmarks/search

Support/integration for Nookstudy books

File Manager with rename, delete, and better support for organizing my files with sub-folders

A simple address book and calendar (with sync to Outlook, Google, etc.). Possibly pop-up calendar reminders.

Ability to edit metadata locally

Ability to open locally saved HTML files in the browser, and copy/paste/save pictures, text from the web.

email client (pop/iMap)... non-web based

The ability to password protect individual books/files/documents for added security, especially when sharing one B&N account between multiple family members.

A "pinch to zoom" web browser !

eWallet for Android app.

Better, selective Gallery. I want to choose what is displayed instead of opening all graphics files by default, possibly using folders.

MP3 playlists

Support for CBR/CBZ, CHM, PDB

Adjustable keyboard sensitivity. Some way to calibrate sensitivity.

pop-up battery/Wi-Fi status warnings

Charge from USB

And, of course, an app store !

Correspondent
atlongster
0 Kudos

My two cents:

-A button to press on the margins of a Magazine to lock it into a specific orientation.  I like to read the mags in landscape but every time I shift the device it goes back to the normal view, I lose my place, and have to get it all back to where I want it.

-Of course the NOOKcoor app market :smileyhappy:

-Ability to organize photos into folders in the photo gallery.  If I've missed this would someone PM me and tell me how to do it?

New User
TedT_CA
0 Kudos

My wife has had a couple issues so far afte rusing the Nookcolor for a week.

1) She is more than frustarted by the page turning - many times the book goes all the way to the start or end of the book and there is no way to know where you were.  I think 2 mechanical buttons on the right and left for manual 1 page turning might be great.

2) Getting the charging plug in is very difficult - maybe ours plug is damaged.  The shipping carton and display carton were extremely damaged in the shipment from B&N - their shipper is terrible.

3) I'd like to be able to write (SDK) and buy apps... I am into home automation and a $250 dollar controller is unheard of - everyone is now using iPads (which special apps) as they are cheaper than $1000+ true A/V whole house tablet controls.

Thanks

Ted

Frequent Contributor
robodojo
0 Kudos

low516 wrote:

An "off" or "stop" option on the music, instead of just pause.

Umm, yeah. I couldn't agree more. I must have stared at the screen for two minutes trying to figure out how the heck to stop the song, while I (possibly unnecessarily) worried about battery drainage if I left it on "pause" indefinitely. Give us a "stop" button, please!

Frequent Contributor
robodojo
0 Kudos

Comic book app! Comic book app! Comic book app!

Please?

Thanks!

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

TedT_CA wrote:

3) I'd like to be able to write (SDK) and buy apps... I am into home automation and a $250 dollar controller is unheard of - everyone is now using iPads (which special apps) as they are cheaper than $1000+ true A/V whole house tablet controls.

There is (or, is going to be since it hasn't been released yet) an SDK.

You can sign up for it on this page - scroll about 2/3 of the way down.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/NOOKcolor-extras/379002467/?bnit=H&bnrefer=EBOOKS&cds2Pid=35607

Inspired Contributor
RucknRun
0 Kudos

I would like to put in a vote for marking the last page read in pdf documents.  I have several ebooks that only come in pdf's.  The Original Nook does this I would expect the same from the Nook Color.  It would be nice to even allow book marking.

Inspired Contributor
Mark_F
0 Kudos

I disagree. Most purchased the NC for tablet potential. It is not a serious ereader like the nook.
deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

This has perhaps been danced around here in all the pinch to zoom requests, but I don't care how it is done-tapping, yelling, dancing, or pinching.  I would really like the ability to zoom in on graphics on a page in an ebook.  No matter how large the fonts become the graphics are limited to one size only and often are unacceptable.

On the keyboard-cursor control through arrows on the keyboard.  What I mean is the ability to move the cursor to a specific location instead of trying to touch that location with your finger. I have small fingers and even I can't touch the right area to correct a word easily.  Even when I zoom in-I usually have to zoom in several times for this.  I usually end up just hitting backspace to delete everthing up to the point that needs correcting.

deemure

Mark_F wrote:
I disagree. Most purchased the NC for tablet potential. It is not a serious ereader like the nook.

I don't think this is necessarily true.  A great many people who wanted an ereader wanted one with color and backlighting.  There are different groups of people that do things based purely on their own preferences.  Some did buy it for the idea of a low cost tablet, but I doubt many bought it specifically for that reason since $250 is a lot to lay out merely for unknown potential and it's a lot to lose if you "break" it by trying to root it.

To specify the nook as a more serious ereader merely speaks to preferences in ereading and your own specifically.  Just as those serious readers who say you aren't one if you prefer to eread are wrong, so to it is wrong to debate which device is a serious ereader.  It is a matter of personal taste.  My nephew reads almost constantly on his iPhone.  For him it of course is other things, but it is also technically an ereader.  Not for me, but it suits him. 

Inspired Contributor
Mark_F
0 Kudos

Yeah, I was typing that on the NC so I wasn't able to be more specific about my disagreement. (maybe they should add predictive text?)  I'd say that I don't want them to necessarily skimp on the ereading capabilites but while I am a huge proponent of making the nook the best ereader in the world, I don't care so much about reading on the NC simply because it doesn't use eInk and is more a toy than a dedicated ereader.  Some may disagree, but this is my opinion.

Just from my usage over the past few days I can tell you I won't be reading long streches on it - the screen hurts my eyes, maybe if the brightness could be turned down quite a bit more (I don't know how much would be enough of if there is an "enough").  Yesterday I put down my NC and picked up my nook to continue reading and it felt wonderful.  Instantly I  noticed the difference - no distractions, no glare, no eyestrain everything was better.   However, during the day I enjoy reading blogs and checking my mail and twitter and such and maybe a few minutes of reading my book but only in good  lighting and only in small amounts.

For this reason, and in my opinion, I don't care so much about what they do with the ereader in the NC so long as the nook reader continues to improve.  However, there is so much more they could do to the NC that would make me love it more - most of which is unrelated to its function as an ereader.