Contributor
Kariahnna
0 Kudos

Re: What users want in the NOOKcolor 1.1 update

@Ya Ya

Discounts:  That makes absolutely no sense to me at all.  B & N sets up their own private DRM and I am pretty sure they can adjust this quite a bit.  Discounts are something that affect their own bottom line, not the bottom line of the Publisher, and I can't see how a Publisher could tell them "no you can't take a cut in your own pocket".  Just doesn't sound at all feasible to me.  Not saying you're lying or that they didn't say that, just saying it sounds like garbage to me lol.

Sharing:  I don't know what comprises their rules and regs for sharing, once again I think B & N is more in charge of this than the Publishers are since there are so many book sellers, and not all of them have DRM on their books, this suggests there is a bit of leaway to be played with here.

After all, when I buy a paper book no one can tell me who I can lend it to or even give it to, I'm playing darn near the same price for ebooks as paper books, what gives anyone the right to tell me what I can do with them once I've paid for them?  Bad enough they restrict us to their software to read them with which you never have that issue with a paper book.  If they are going to be so darned restrictive then they need to adjust them prices accordingly.  Ebooks are not as useful as a paper book is by any means if we cannot share them more freely so we certainly should not be paying close to full price for them.

I am not saying get rid of the DRM by any means, it needs to be there for sure, we just should have more control over our paid for out of "our" pockets items rather than B & N being in charge of them.  Just my 10 cents on it of course lol, and I'm sure you're right it's not going to happen, but I needed to voice my opinions on these restrictions as they are just not right.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Kariahnna wrote:

Discounts:  That makes absolutely no sense to me at all.  B & N sets up their own private DRM and I am pretty sure they can adjust this quite a bit.  Discounts are something that affect their own bottom line, not the bottom line of the Publisher, and I can't see how a Publisher could tell them "no you can't take a cut in your own pocket".  Just doesn't sound at all feasible to me.  Not saying you're lying or that they didn't say that, just saying it sounds like garbage to me lol.

Sharing:  I don't know what comprises their rules and regs for sharing, once again I think B & N is more in charge of this than the Publishers are since there are so many book sellers, and not all of them have DRM on their books, this suggests there is a bit of leaway to be played with here.

Discounts:  It doesn't make sense, but it's the way it is.  There are hundreds of threads about ebook pricing, starting in March, in the NOOKbook forums. (Well, now less than hundreds because the mods combined them, but still tens and twenties.)  Do a search or go to the end of the forum and read back to present.   

Sharing:  B&N isn't in charge of the lending feature.  It's the publishers. 

You can say over and over you don't like it, you think it should be different, you don't believe the bookseller is in charge, but a minimum of research will (incredulously) prove that it is the publishers not B&N....

New User
smillonig
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Yes! nicov explained the dIfference between panning and zooming, better said than I could have.  It maddening to have it turn the page just when you've zoomed and centered it about where you wanted it.

Also:

Pinch to Zoom Web Browser and Animated page turns -- tapping your thumb is not as reliable as a finger swipe to turn the page, so you spend too much time trying to figure out if you're on the desired page.

Lastly, although maybe more to do with emagazines and newspapers -- they need more interactive content before I make a serious investment in subscriptions.  Although something along the lines of the functionality on the Washington Post's IPad app might be a stretch, the subscriptions I've tried so far really pale in comparison.  It's often better to simply navigate their web sites as they have more pictures to see, hyperlinks to additional content, and the like.

Contributor
MichaelPeters
0 Kudos

CHM format support.  There are a lot of tech manuals that use this format.

Frequent Contributor
BluesBaby

moltikon wrote:

Have the ability to turn off page turning by tapping. So many times I flipped page(s) by mistake by just keeping my finger very close to the screen. It would be helpful to be able to turn off this way of turning pages and leave only the turning by swiping option.

A great idea!

Inspired Contributor
ChucklesTX
0 Kudos

Here are my requests.

1. Add Go To Furtherest read page - Like my orginial nook had before 1.5 update and bring it back for the orginal Nook

2. Add Option to Hide Archived books Shelf - Like the orginal Nook has.

3. Add Option to reset a book back to the first page after I have finished reading it.

4. Persistant Address - Navigation Bar on web browser.

5. Show Thumb Nails in Pictures Folder in My Files

6. File Management options in the Pictures Folder - Move, Rename, Delete,

7. Add Option to Exclude Sideloaded Book covers from Gallery.

8. Add per book Option to have Side loaded content appear in the books under my library

9. E-mail/Calendar/Contact Client capable of connecting to corporate Exchange Server

10. Adobe Reader.

11. Edit Office documents.

12. Ability to permanently delete BN Wallpapers, UserGuides, and other unwanted BN content.

13. Fix the problem with random books appearing on the home screen after reboot.

14.  Ability to add any content to the Home Screen.

15. Longer USB Cable so I don't have to use an extension cord when reading while charging.

hpg
Contributor
hpg
0 Kudos

I don't know if anyone from B&N with actual power to effect changes reads these things, but just in case here is my 2cents.

I am an older person with grown children who have every type of modern mobile device. I play with them all. i personally own a few. I have purchased many, many "real" books from B&N stores, going back to the 1950's. I'm very sorry about your current financial difficulties.  I used to live near the original store. I read about 3 books/week, getting them from actual book stores, on-line stores and the library. i always have about 10 or more books laying around, being read or waiting to be read. i have 4 computers (but I don't social network) and have been working with computers since 1960 (does anyone reading this know about IBM punch cards?). I guess I am pointing out my readiness to use the nook to its full potential

I LOVE THE NC!!! I will probably buy a few more as gifts.

So far i have purchased and downloaded a book from B&N (I might not have gotten it from B&N, could just as easily have been Amazon or a library or a local bookstore like Borders, so the NC has resulted in a hardware and software sale for B&N), downloaded a book from the library, sideloaded books onto the micro SD (both epub and pdf), sideloaded personal documents in word,excel and pdf formats, played a number of crossword puzzles and soduku games, listened to some music I sideloaded, listened to Pandora, sideloaded about 50 JPEgs and cropped one directly on the nook to use as wallpaper, sideloaded 3 full length movies (I figured out how to convert them into the correct format) and have already watched one on a long train ride (the pressing  N trick of holding your place when you stop watching for a while is far better than working the slider, but most people are probably not aware of it. I got the tip from this particular thread) and I have read the books in all kinds of lighting situations. I have not really explored the web capabilities to any great extent.

Everything works great!!!! And my fingers are no longer very nimble. I feel a great source of comfort knowing I could have an extensive book and AV library on this relatively tiny device. I presume everyone's recommendations for improvement are important. to them, but I have a very short list of 1 item. I like to use various reference sources when reading a book-a novel, history book, whatever. I find my curiosity intrigued about a particular point and i want to learn more. When at home i can turn to numerous reference hard copy sources, but that means searching index's and so on-reminds of my post graduate work. Or i could use the internet (as I often do) while at home. But both those methods mean I put the book down and go search through some other media. If the NC could facilitate using pdf's to the full extent my particular NC experience would be just about perfect. I could put various reference sources on the nook (purchased from B&N) and search away!!

Thanks again B&N for this wonderful device.

Reader
MGonz

Access to all A T& T hotspots like Nook Classic.

Landscape Mode for ebooks.

New User
Nicktastic
0 Kudos

Since the nook runs on adriod I wish we were able to play adroid apps.

I tried to download some and the app popped up but then another pop up came up and said it couldnt play the application.

I also wish the nookcolor had better video qaulity.

I also wish it wasnt as slow

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

A reboot option would be great. Much better then a complete shut down

Being able to manage files ON the NC & SD card verses having to connect to a pc

I still think an option to lock shelf on th NC as well as online library. (this feature would be great for shared accts)

Fix the vanishing keyboard

Quick access to address bar in the Web browser

Fix the sound issue. (no sound after waken from sleep mode)

JMHO

Thanks

phoneboy

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Frequent Contributor
AnaMardoll

I would like the ability for the Nook Color to store my "last read page" on sideloaded PDF documents. The Nook Classic already does this ("page 39 of 423") but the Nook Color does not.

Bookmarking, highlighting, note-taking, and other PDF manipulation would also be very nice. Thank you. :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
AnaMardoll
0 Kudos

I would also like the "shelves" feature to be synced across the devices. When I put a book on my "Fantasy" shelf on my Nook Classic, I want that to be reflected on my Nook Color, and vice versa.

A web-interface for the manipulation of shelves online would be very awesome. Thank you. :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
AnaMardoll
0 Kudos

I would also like to see a "view cover on demand" feature - perhaps where the "FIRST PAGE" of all ebooks was always the cover, but this could be implemented other ways.

Currently, many of my ebooks only show the cover briefly when "zooming" towards you on opening the book. You get maybe 1 second to view the cover full-screen, and then the book opens and you're dumped to the "first page" - which usually isn't the color cover.

I want to be able to view the cover for longer than that - as long as I want, really. Some covers are quite lovely and contain "story hints". Thank you! :smileyhappy:

Inspired Correspondent
Science_man
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Agree with earlier comment concerning touch screen sensitivity adjustment -  just by trying to log on my BN acount, took me 10 minutes to input my password because letters kept being duplicated whenever I pressed a letter, and I have small fingers.

Inspired Correspondent
Science_man
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I totally agree with comment above RE PDF - ability to bookmark, highlight, take notes,...

Contributor
wyndsayl
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

You can say over and over you don't like it, you think it should be different, you don't believe the bookseller is in charge, but a minimum of research will (incredulously) prove that it is the publishers not B&N....

Doesn't make it okay.  And it won't change if people don't complain.  So I say complain away.

What has happened is the same as what they tried to do with digital music (and why Apple was so successful because they resisted, in part) and movies, et al.  Every new format the providers try to change the rules, the paradigm, so they can make more money.  Instead of just seeing this as a new format, like paperbacks to hardcover, and a format that should be cheaper, they see it as a way to penny pinch everyone.

Publishers tried to stop public libraries because they felt it cut into their profits way back and it had to go to court.  The same will eventually happen here, just as it has with everything else.

Once you buy something, it's yours to do what you want as long as you don't duplicate and sell a bunch of copies (pirating).  If you want to resell it or give it away or lend it, that's your business.

But it will take a while to get back to normal, and it won't happen if people don't resist.

The music companies tried to penny pinch people. Charging more for CDs when they were cheaper to make than records, for example.  Then trying all kinds of things with digital music files. They tried forever to get Apple to let them increase the cost of the songs in the iTunes store but Apple refused.  Apple had gotten too powerful for them to control because they had ignored the store figuring it wouldn't amount to much until it was too late.  Apple finally gave in and allowed them to increase some prices in return for the music companies removing the DRM from the music. 

Moving to eBooks has caused everyone in the chain to try and get a bigger share of the money. They are even fighting over who has the right to sell, that someone who has rights to physical media may not have rights to electronic media, so forth and so on ....  All for another buck.  Right or wrong, fair or not, they won't care unless people make enough noise.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

I'm not sure what I've done to deserve a lecture, but, um, thanks?

Contributor
doodad
0 Kudos

Prioritized list, #1 will determine if I return the NC or keep it.

#1:   I'd like the Newspaper format to be the same as the magazine format.  I won't subscribe to a newspaper the way it is now.   Also sign up "The Economist"!

#2:   The "LendMe" program is a good start.  Please expand the capabilities (more time, more titles, allow magazines)

#3:    Fix the typical "1.0" nuances mentioned by everyone else: crashing probs, usability tweaks, etc.

#4:   As many here have posted,  I'd like to see the NC become more of an Android Tablet  (run android apps, etc).  I understand that's not B&N's top priority - but it would sure make it a real killer product if they did.

Thanks B&N,  The NC has a lot of potential!   Don't drop the ball!!

Reader 2
enewbold
0 Kudos

I really love my color NOOK, but like everyone else, if I had my druthers, I'd like to see some of the following additions:

1. I would like to see "The Daily" on my color nook.

2. I would like to be able to see ONLY a list of my "bookshelf categories" on the main page. I don't need to see the books on the shelves at this point, just the shelf categories. Select a shelf and then see ALL the books on it

3. A GMail App that syncs when in WiFi range.

4. Battery Percentage displayed when clicking battery icon.

5. Be able to export notes into text file.

6. Landscape viewing of books.

7. Ability to read PDBs.

8. Have Pandora to remember my log in information.

9. The ability to DELETE SAMPLES directly from the Nook instead of having to fire up a PC to do it.

10. Ability to rearrange shelves as you can with the 1.5 version.

11. ability to charge through USB cord.

12. Add Go To Furthest read page.

Thank you.

Frequent Contributor
BluesBaby
0 Kudos

I totally agree, having the ability to add all my pdb books (just like on the classic Nook) would be great!