Wordsmith
kingskidjan
0 Kudos

Re: What users want in the NOOKcolor 1.1 update

I'd like some more apps.  A notebook or grocery list would be great as I do a lot of sitting in a car waiting for my daughter. A calculator would also be good as I budget while waiting.

Flash ability would be great as I log in to certain sites often and parts of them aren't visible because everyone uses flash anymore.

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

@Caleb_Anderson

A rooted NC behaves just the way you say. Mine is normally in Launcher Pro and looks like Android, but touch "Library", and you are back to an NC.

I don't believe B&N intends anything like that. What you will almost certainly see is more apps in the Extras drawer.

Contributor
ribs83

Here's my list, by category:

READING BOOKS

* Landscape mode!!! - esp importatnt when charger is connected or when wearing polarized sunglasses

* lower minimum brightness level

* blacker black for night mode

* highlight in BOTH directions from original selection

* google/wiki search on entire selection, not just one word

* show cover as first page

PDF SUPPORT

* ability to highlight, add notes, and bookmark

* remember last page read

* better image support (no more red X's!!)

WEB BROWSER

* locked address bar at top

* pinch-to-zoom

* flash support

* navigation arrows on keyboard

* forward button in addidion to the back button

FILE MANAGEMENT

* ability to move and delete files from NC without the computer

* allow multi-folder-deep file management

* allow sideloaded books on home screen

* ePub/other formats supported on NC without having to use the complicated ADE method

* integration on NookStudy on NC itself, without computer

EXTRAS

* fix the right-side sensitivity issue on the crossword app

APPS I HOPE TO SEE WITH THE NEW APP STORE

* notebook/journal

* calendar

* calculator

* audiobook app

* manga/comic app

Inspired Contributor
KnitGirlinIdaho
0 Kudos

Thanks ribs83...I already mentioned wanting to be able to dim the screen more, but after seeing what you wrote I'm going to ditto the following from your list with my own notations! :smileyhappy:

READING BOOKS

* the ability to highlight a whole sentence or paragraph

* the ability to copy/paste a sentence/paragraph for the Share a Quote on facebook feature

WEB BROWSER

* flash support

* navigation arrows on keyboard!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES!!

Reader 4
LissaNY
0 Kudos

Just want to add my two cents on future adds/updates.  I just got my NC after years of squinting to read on my old Palm Zire 71.  What a difference!  I love my new toy!  However, I still have to carry around my Palm in addition to my NC, at least until the following features are added:

• Alarm Clock
  • Calculator
  • Address Book (able to import addresses)

Someone else mentioned a "notepad" feature, which would be wonderful but for me not absolutely necessary as are the other three items.  I also like the idea of being able to put side-loaded books on the main page, which I was disappointed to find that I couldn't do.

Ahhh, to lighten the weight of my purse by removing extra electronic gadgets...:womanvery-happy:

Contributor
Talon132
0 Kudos

"What users want in the NOOKcolor 1.1 update?"

For it to actually be released......................

Wordsmith
melouria
0 Kudos

Great post Talon! It is disturbing to look at the Nookdev page where it appears nothing is going on in that arena. Would be nice if B&N would throw us a bone....let us know this update is still going to happen.
Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

I would like this-Autoshelving on nook and NOOKcolor, please.  I did post a clumsy suggestion for this on the nook wishlist, but it is worded better here.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-General-Discussion/Any-chance-of-getting-autoshelvi...

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Reader 4
thefirstkgb
0 Kudos

Someone may have already suggested this:

I would like to see a way to manage your magazines, such as renew or cancel a subscription. Also be able to manger you BN account from the nookcolor, such as adding gift cards and manage credit cards.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

thefirstkgb wrote:

Someone may have already suggested this:

I would like to see a way to manage your magazines, such as renew or cancel a subscription. Also be able to manger you BN account from the nookcolor, such as adding gift cards and manage credit cards.

I can do all of this just fine from my NC by logging in to my account on the B&N website in my browser.

Nallia
0 Kudos

I'm pretty sure this has been mentioned already.

I would like to be able to customize the background and font colors.  I love the mocha background, but I don't like the white font.  I would love it if the background color and font color were separate selections.

Inspired Contributor
dtmarshall
0 Kudos

Add glossary of the current open book to the lookup list. Add ability to flip to map or glossary and back without fiddling with bookmarks and TOC.
Don't Panic.
New User
Emoetom

[ Edited ]

I got my NookColor for Xmas & love it, however, I carry this and a dayplanner everywhere (as I don't wish to pay an additional $30 a month for a data package for my cell phone).  So I would love it if I could also use the NookColor to hold all my appts.  I wouldn't need internet access for that feature, just to be able to keep everything written down and all in one spot.  When I go to the kids' doctor appts or sporting events, I always have stuff for them in my Nook, but to be able to add appts right in it would be so much more convenient!!!

Address Book, Calculator, Notes are all excellent additions.  I don't really use it to check email and whatever all on the internet, let's face it, it is an e-reader, but the addition of some simple organizational tools, as mentioned, would be super helpful.  Although I have some of these on my cell phone, all on my e-reader would be better.

4D
Reader
4D
0 Kudos

- I'd love a search option that would let you search one, a few, or every book on your nook for a word or phrase.

- Activate bluetooth, so I can listen to MP3s wirelessly while reading.  Then let devs use it for inter-nook game play. Scrabble with three other nook color owners!

4D

New User
thollis
0 Kudos

I really want to be alble to add more crossword puzzles to my nook color. I've apparently done them all, because I got a repeat the other day.

Reader 4
thefirstkgb
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

I can do all of this just fine from my NC by logging in to my account on the B&N website in my browser.

I guess I really didn't think about the web browser to that. I was thinking to be able to do that from the setting section but the web browser works just as well. I will remember that when I have a gift card to add. Thanks for the reminder!

Nallia
0 Kudos

thefirstkgb wrote:

Nallia wrote:

I guess I really didn't think about the web browser to that. I was thinking to be able to do that from the setting section but the web browser works just as well. I will remember that when I have a gift card to add. Thanks for the reminder!

It's something that I hadn't given much thought to either.  I'm so used to doing things from my notebook or my phone.  :smileywink:  I'll admit that I wouldn't use my NC for things like this unless I was on my home WiFi connection, and then I might as well use my computer.  I don't trust the security of public WiFi hotspots.

Contributor
happy_girl_1969
0 Kudos

READING BOOKS

* the ability to highlight a whole sentence or paragraph

* the ability to copy/paste a sentence/paragraph for the Share a Quote on facebook feature

You can do all of the above things already with your NC...

-  hold your finger on the first word in your sentence/paragraph/phrase/page 

-  once that word is highlighted, put your finger back on it and drag it down the

words until you get to the last word and let go

- a tool bar will pop up that says  Highlight/notes/share/lookup

- if you choose highlight it will highlight the whole area and you can then hold

your finger on the highlighted area and perform other tasks 

*** I'm not sure if this works with the google/wiki because I don't have wi-fi where I am now

WEB BROWSER

* flash support

* navigation arrows on keyboard!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES!!

A forward button would be fabulous!!!!!!

Contributor
happy_girl_1969
0 Kudos

A private bookshelf that can be password protected would be wonderful also!

Frequent Contributor
ironstring
0 Kudos

Some of this has likely been mentioned before, but with 23 pages of threads, I'll just try to sum up my own interests:

I love my nook color very much and am glad I have it instead of an iPad-- not just for the sake of the money not spent but the size and other reasons to boot-- in using it, though, I'm coming to put together a wish list of things I'd love to be able to access as more software's developed inside BN or in conjunction with outside Android developers.

1.  A digital notepad where I can jot notes, maybe in the "extras" section, something that doesn't require me to be near a wifi hotspot.  It doesn't have to have all the functionality of a full Wordpad-type program (thought that would be nice)-- just a simple text-only document that could be saved and exported if I so chose, so I don't have to shove a small pad of paper into the pockets inside my nook cover.  It seems kind of redundant, doesn't it, if one of the points of the nook is to conserve paper?  After all, I'm bookmarking my cooking magazines and cookbooks on my nook and shopping from those.  Why shouldn't I put my random notes in my nook too?

2.  Ability to access and use google documents, and to use other features of gmail in the non-mobile/non-basic-html views without the browser stalling up/timing out.  I am not a coder and this may/not have something to do with bandwidth of the wifi or the current software on board, but I am a writer and editor in addition to my day job.  While I don't want/intend to use my nook as a mini-computer, it'd be nice to access my gdocs to see if my redlines have been accepted by my authors while I'm out and about and have 15 minutes to kill and jot down a paragraph's worth of ideas, rather than wait 'til I'm home (or carry a separate notebook), and I'd like to be able to send more complicated/linked messages in gmail than what the current setup allows.

3.  An interactive calendar/access to google calendar so I don't have to carry a separate paper calendar too.