Inspired Contributor
dtmarshall

Re: What users want in the NOOKcolor 1.1 update

It's been mentioned before (in this thread, I'm not sure), but god I'd love to be able to pick the books it bases it's 'Books we think you'll love' on.  I'm really getting tired of getting suggestions for Women's Health and Guideposts just because I bought one copy of Readers Digest two months ago so I could read Laughter on a whim.  Or 'Picked Just for You' getting a bunch of books I'd never read because I downloaded a free book that I didn't like.

Don't Panic.
Inspired Contributor
Triggerone
0 Kudos

I would love support for pdb files - from Fictionwise and ereader - both owned by B&N.  So support on the NC would be grand!

The app marketplace for Android would be good as well.  And pinch zoom.

For the most part, I love my NC.  We've struggled a bit with the video, but have found the technical support here and will try that this weekend.  Hopefully, that will remove that problem.

Frequent Contributor
ironstring
0 Kudos

Agreed-- the query/pick engine bn is using isn't nearly so sophisticated as amazon's, alas, which is too bad since I like the fact that bn doesn't price gouge the publishers or the small presses.

Correspondent
draksig
0 Kudos

I would like to see B&N give the nook and nook color the abaility to navigate by book and chapter in multi book nookbooks, collections.  Sad thing is, from what I have read, they could up until the last update.

New User
josiebean44
0 Kudos

I would like to watch netflix when I am browsing, and being able to make notes to myself in the books I am reading would be a fantastic feature.  I would also like to see the Android market added to the features. 

New User
miladyb
0 Kudos

Add a feature to allow users to organize their photos, instead of mixing every image on your nook color into one huge messy gallery

Inspired Contributor
dtmarshall
0 Kudos

miladyb wrote:

Add a feature to allow users to organize their photos, instead of mixing every image on your nook color into one huge messy gallery

Oh, yeah! Movies and music too!! Id be happy if it was aware of the directories I made for music.
Don't Panic.
Frequent Contributor
ironstring
0 Kudos

Reading books in landscape mode, looking up a whole phrase/selection, and the file management issues you've cited would indeed be big development bonuses for the next gen of software/apps. Nice list.

Frequent Contributor
ironstring
0 Kudos

Hi-- you can make notes in your books-- with NC, tap on the word at the start of the section you want to note until a cursor appears, then drag the cursor through until the section you want is highlighted.  If you tap the section again, you have the option to add a note.  If you go to the contents/slider/text magnification bar at the bottom, one of your navigation options later will be to navigation by the sections you've noted and/or highlighted.  Your NC user guide also should have instructions on how to do this.

Contributor
zambokneeAW
0 Kudos

I'd like to see the ability to highlight segments from magazines.  Also, jot notes down in magazines.  There's many times when I would like to make a note of a product review or compile a list.  Also, sharing (twitter/facebook) from a magazine article would be great.

Frequent Contributor
ironstring
0 Kudos

Agreed.  Having to do it from your computer is clunky.

Correspondent
Glitchster
0 Kudos

"Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy... so, take it easy..." the Eagles

... If knowledge is power, why do I have to keep recharging my ereader ?
New User
burrito123
0 Kudos

The shelf feature is great but would be more helpful if a book placed on a shelf was "moved" out of the library.  As you get more books it becomes very difficult to determine what you have filed on a shelf if they still appear in the full library and the shelf. 

Contributor
Coolusername
0 Kudos

I just want the update so I can watch youtube videos with better quality.  Right now its intolerable.  Wasn't an update due in the first quarter of 2011?  Well, its the first quarter of 2011.  I really like my NC, just getting a little impatient because it's clearly more capable than the current OS allows.

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

coolusername commented:

> Wasn't an update due in the first quarter of 2011?  Well, its the first quarter of 2011. <

Yes, and it will still be, for another 2 months.

> I really like my NC, just getting a little impatient... <

I think we could tell.  :smileywink:

- Mark

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling

Believe me, if they thought they would have it out by now in January, they would have said "end of 2010". When you hear 1st quarter, what you ought to expect is around March 35th.:smileysurprised:

Contributor
nosirrahm
0 Kudos

- Pinch and Zoom

- Social site support for sideloaded content

- Problem correction with sideloaded content (e.g., books go back to cover if you exit the book to go to home page or library to look around; pressing the book icon at the bottom will open the last BN book, not the sideloaded book I was reading.  These issues are not consistent, but they happen on a regular basis to know that there is a problem on the reader).

Inspired Correspondent
Science_man
0 Kudos

How about a sound equalizer for the music player/Pandora.    I'm horrified at how poorly the sound comes out on my high end ear buds with the NC.

Inspired Contributor
MrBanballow
0 Kudos

burrito123 wrote:

The shelf feature is great but would be more helpful if a book placed on a shelf was "moved" out of the library.  As you get more books it becomes very difficult to determine what you have filed on a shelf if they still appear in the full library and the shelf. 

I believe the reason for this, is that some people put the same book on multiple shelves. For instance, somebody might have a shelf set aside for "Scary Books"... but some of those same books would also easily fit into say, a "Stephen King" shelf if that happened to be one of their favorite authors. If you removed it from the list, it would make this more difficult.

Rather than moving them off completely, maybe make it where the list is split into two. Unshelved books first, then books that already have a home.

Anyway, my request shouldn't be to difficult I would imagine, and it's the same request I have for the next Nook Classic update. I'd like to be able to arrange the books that I've placed on shelves into their proper order. I have three series, and not one in order. The worst offender, as it has quite a few books in the series...

A Series of Unfortunate Events

The Austere Academy (Book 5)

The Bad Beginning (Book 1)

The Carnivorous Carnival (Book 9)

The End (Book 13)

The Ersatz Elevatore (Book 6)

The Grim Grotto (Book 11)

The Hostile Hospital (Book 8)

The Miserable Mill (Book 4)

The Penultimate Peril (Book 12)

The Reptile Room (Book 2)

The Slippery Slope (Book 10)

The Vile Village (Book 7)

The Wide Window (Book 3)

... it needs structure! The other two are only trilogys, so not as difficult to remember the order, but I'd still like the option.

Also, I'd like the NC to stop placing older books on my Home Page randomly. New books are okay as a reminder, but it's annoying having to remove the same titles again and again. I've had it happen two or three times in the two and a half weeks I've had it.

Currently reading: The Complete Sherlock Holmes Vol 1, Grimm's Fairy Tales
Distinguished Correspondent
rerose1975
0 Kudos

MrBanballow wrote:

Also, I'd like the NC to stop placing older books on my Home Page randomly. New books are okay as a reminder, but it's annoying having to remove the same titles again and again. I've had it happen two or three times in the two and a half weeks I've had it.

Please make this end!  Now that I have covers on all my books, this is the only issue that still annoys me greatly.

R