Inspired Correspondent
jlhatch
0 Kudos

What will be/should be the next Nook?

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33198_7-57368010-286/report-new-nook-coming-this-spring/?tag=mncol;cnet...

With B&N putting the finishing touches on the 5th Nook due out this spring, the author above imagined 3 scenarios of what it might be:

"Another tablet, perhaps a larger model (think iPad size but with a $300-$350 price tag)? An even more affordable e-ink e-reader that might allow the company to break the sub-$50 barrier? Or perhaps something more exotic, such as an e-reader that features Qualcomm's power-efficient Mirasol color display that has started to appear in e-readers in China and Korea?"

What do you think B&N's 5th nook should be? Or, what would you really like to see them produce - what would get you to buy the latest iteration of the Nook?

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

Re: What will be/should be the next Nook?

I suspect the next one will be an update to the NST but I think they could really use a 11-12 inch Nook that would be better for magazines and textbooks.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed
Contributor
Krissay

I'm sure it will be a bigger version of the existing NC/NT.  The NST is so simple and excellent in my opinion, and I really cannot see them making another eink model to replace the NST so soon.

Contributor
Fishgirl3

New Nooks should have a replaceable battery. I love my Nook Color, but I feel like I'm in love with a ticking time bomb that will self immolate one day in only a year or two and then my wonderful device will be no more. In our home we don't buy new techie toys easily (my laptop is from 2006 and my once-brand-new car is now 10+ years old). I like to buy things that will last, or at least be repairable or refurbishable.

Consider the battery issue for your new rollouts, please.

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

It will be a large device but it won't be a "tablet".  It will be a color ereader around the size of the Kindle DX but will be strictly an ereader like the N2E.  Probably will be using the same touch technology and will support text books and comic books. 

Price $175

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

It will be a large device but it won't be a "tablet".  It will be a color ereader around the size of the Kindle DX but will be strictly an ereader like the N2E.  Probably will be using the same touch technology and will support text books and comic books. 

Price $175

I think this is pretty close, or at least makes the most sense to me. I suspect a large format color reader for the educational market is in the offing.  It will not have many of the features common in tablets.  Exactly which features are needed is the hard part. 

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I can't really see BN putting out an even more basic eReader than the NST in the $50 range.  If they put out another eInk type product, I'd bet it's a color one, something like Triton or Mirasol.  I think my NST is just about perfect as it is.

But, my best, uneducated guess would be a slightly larger tablet than can run Nook Study.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
phoneboy
0 Kudos

I agree with Basic witha larger screen. If B&N can get the device into schools all across the country they will be in a good place. They dont need a device that has full market access n all the bells n whistles that go with it. They are already in the txtbook business so its a safe direction to go. They needto hit this market fast cause it ls gonna happen. JMHO
Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

Price $175

A textbook ereader makes a lot more sense for a spring release than a device focusing on the consumer market. It allows participating institutions to trial things during summer term when enrolment is light to work out the bugs before the big classes start up for Fall semester.

Inspired Wordsmith
MatthewH

The One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) folks, who work on low-cost computers for developing countries, have developed a really clever hybrid LCD display with two operating modes. Indoors it's a medium-resolution color LCD with backlighting. In bright sunlight it's a high resolution grayscale LCD using reflected light, both for much better outdoor viewing than a typical LCD and to save on battery power. Some users will be making their own power with hand-cranked generators, so power consumption is a really big deal for the OLPC folks.

I don't suppose BN will have the imagination to start a collaboration with the OLPC folks, but there might be some great synergies if they did. Imagine for instance a cause marketing tie-in to differentiate BN from Amazon, with both in-store and on-device offers: for every N folks buying this book, one child gets a computer… On the product-design side, I would think the Nook team and the OLPC team could learn a lot from each other, because both are trying to deliver easy-to-use tools under heavy cost pressures.
Remember: the big print giveth, the small print taketh away.
Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

MatthewH wrote:
The One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) folks, who work on low-cost computers for developing countries,

I don't suppose BN will have the imagination to start a collaboration with the OLPC folks, but there might be some great synergies if they did. 

Since they are just now in talks to get the Nook into overseas FIRST WORLD country markets, I don't see them moving into the DEVELOPING country markets anytime soon.  At least not unless they get a sudden huge influx of cash to develop stuff that area.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Inspired Wordsmith
MatthewH
0 Kudos

You are very probably correct: BN is not likely to do any deal with the OLTPC folks, because they are just starting to talk about entering other first-world markets. Too bad, because I think markets where Amazon does not operate now could be a great opportunity for BN to leapfrog Amazon.
The really clever thing about the hybrid LCD display invented for OLTPC is that it can be made cheaply with minor modification of existing factories. Put the color filters that make each subpixel R, G, or B between the LCD panel and the backlight. Put a reflector behind the backlight. Now all you have to do to switch modes is turn the backlight on or off. Backlight on works like color LCD. Backlight off and it works like reflective LCD such as in a calculator, and resolution is higher than color mode since each subpixel in color mode becomes a pixel in gayscale mode. Software of course has to be aware of display modes.
Remember: the big print giveth, the small print taketh away.
Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

Thing is, Mirasol and the new thin film front-lit LCD give the same advantages with color in both reflective and lit. And thin-film front-lit can be added to e-ink first, while Mirasol is getting to the scale to support 7" 1024x600 displays. So a textbook market this spring, front-lit NST in fall, and Mirasol NT in 2013 would be a natural development path.
Frequent Contributor
kcladyz
0 Kudos

I am not sure if I responded to this or not but I would like to see a larger size, may be 8 inches?  A better look more like the kindle fire, and a tablet that can switch from your regular LCD display to an e-ink for outdoor reading. also a internet experience like you will get on your computer meaning full websites. On the current device it reads like surfing on your cell phone on certain sites.

Frequent Contributor
lilsmartie

They just need to launch the NC or NT in the UK. We don't get the KF yet and so if they sort out rights with Waterstones (big UK book store chain) like they say they are it would be fab!

Kate

Frequent Contributor
kcladyz
0 Kudos

Now that I own both a Kindle Fire and Nook I have ideas to improve the Nook

Alow access to Kindle app so people that want to leave Amazon and go to Nook can keep their old   purchases. May be an insentive to lure over new customers away from Amazon. The Kindle fire has a function to alow app downloads from outside their app store and I have full access to my nook books on my Kindle Fire now.

Make the casing more attractive as to resemble a real tablet. take out the stupid hook on the corner, make the shape more streamlined and get rid of that teflon looking body of the Nook tablet,

I noticed the BN retail store has a movie/music section on the first floor so why not open up an online music/movie store as well?

Also maybe a 8 inch tablet will be nice for those that fell 7 iches is too small.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF

kcladyz wrote:

Now that I own both a Kindle Fire and Nook I have ideas to improve the Nook

Alow access to Kindle app so people that want to leave Amazon and go to Nook can keep their old   purchases. May be an insentive to lure over new customers away from Amazon. The Kindle fire has a function to alow app downloads from outside their app store and I have full access to my nook books on my Kindle Fire now.

Make the casing more attractive as to resemble a real tablet. take out the stupid hook on the corner, make the shape more streamlined and get rid of that teflon looking body of the Nook tablet,

I noticed the BN retail store has a movie/music section on the first floor so why not open up an online music/movie store as well?

Also maybe a 8 inch tablet will be nice for those that fell 7 iches is too small.

Access to ANY other store would be a big step forward, even if it was restricted to free apps that B&N had given a thumbs up to. B&N is trying to use the sales volumes of the Nooks to attract more apps to their own store, but the spotty selection encourages people to root their device and so B&N's efforts at lockdown go for naught. If they loosened the reins a bit, fewer people would root their Nooks.

But I'll thank B&N to keep the case with its nice feel to the hand and keep the nook notch. When reading at night, the nook notch is good for orienting which way you are holding it and where the n button is. And reading at night is a big reason for preferring the NC as a reader to the NST.

They were talking about an online movie/music store, and that would explain the partitioning of only 1GB for the USB-accessible FAT formatted part of their internal storage, because video media in particular takes up lots of space.

... but either those plans have either fallen through or the plans have have switched to media that would be files in the FAT partition rather than files or apps in the EXT part, since with the newest NT-8GB they have changed their partitioning to make much more space in the USB accessible. I think in the NT-16GB in the new partitioning, its 8GB in the USB accessible part.

A 7" or 8" reader that was a wider 4:3 reader would be great ~ 1024x768 resolution is better than video widescreen for things like Nook Comics and reading manga online. That wouldn't change the size of video viewing. That could be the smaller, cheaper version of a Nook eText, with a larger 10"~11" version also available.

Correspondent
LadyTessie
0 Kudos

Different strokes for different folks. I like the hole at the bottom and I love the texture of the body. It's all good for me - well, better audio volume but that's not a deal breaker for me either.

Terry

patgolfneb
0 Kudos

LadyTessie wrote:

Different strokes for different folks. I like the hole at the bottom and I love the texture of the body. It's all good for me - well, better audio volume but that's not a deal breaker for me either.

Terry

I also like the differnces in color, shape, and the loop. I have attached a stylus and on occasion locker keys using the loop. I am mystified by comments that it is ugly and needs to look like a real? tablet. Most of them are the pinnacle of annonymous industrial tech design.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

Price $175

This or a Liquavista or Mirasol "tablet" that will do color text, some animation, allow textbooks and maybe even the internet without an app store...  

Similar to the original NOOK Color - before the app store  just with Liquavista or Mirasol and incorporating NOOK Study.  I really don't see them bothering with color eink; the cost vs. benefits aren't enough, IMO.

Price $300.