Contributor
Evil_Overlord
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

When is next version of Simple Touch coming out?

I know it seems early to ask. But I plan buy a Nook STGL in the spring. I've heard it suggested that there will be a new version around then. Should I plan to wait for it, or just buy blindly when the mood strikes?

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Re: When is next version of Simple Touch coming out?

An updated model of the glow in time for mothers day is likely. I would guess improvements in the lighting are on tap. If you have looked at the current model and find the lighting ok then your best price might be right now. I expect other updates to be minor, these are pretty mature products.
keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I think for the last two years the new device has been announced in May.

I expect a higher resolution screen, which means sharper text, so I'm really looking forward to the next device (though hopefully they offer a version without the light).

Frequent Contributor
Larryb52
0 Kudos

I would agree on losing the light and they do have a new e ink screen out with a whiter background, I would hope it would be released by March...

Bibliophile
5ivedom

Evil_Overlord,

There are two main possibilities

1) B&N wants to go for another '4-6 months of lead' over the new Kindle and announces in March/April. I actually think this is likely.

OR

2) It releases in middle of the year.

What improvements there might be - that's a bit of a wild card.

Things like unbreakable screens and flexible displays and color eInk are probably a few years away.

That leaves better contrast and better lighting. Given that B&N was the first one with a lighted screen I would not be surprised to see it do something else cool.

So waiting would be my advice.

Mercury_Glitch

At my store we're betting on a Spring release, likely for Mother's Day.

That said they give us no information that the general public lacks for when they plan on releasing new devices.  We also don't know what features they may add.

Personally the features I would like to see in the next NST product

1) ability to add our own fonts.  Though this is a software thing not a hardware limitation. 

2) higher contrast screen.  I.e. a more white background and a darker text.

3) ability to load library borrowed books from the device.  As with fonts this is software releasted, I've pointed out in the NST/NSTG forums that this could be implemented now, but was met with less than stellar replies.  Despite the fact that it's possible with other apps if you root your NST/NSTG.

4) Different color options for the device itself.  And not just the bezel like the 2011 Black Friday "Special Edition" NSTs.  Not so much for myself, but because so many people have asked "is this the only color it comes in?" that I feel it should be an option. 

5) Along the same lines as 4, the ability to rotate the screen on the NST.  I can't fathom why it's an issue but people seem to want it. 

6) Better lighting, and by that I mean two things.  1) white light, 2) more evenly distributed light, thought the NSTG is really good with this, it could be better.  Though I suspect battery life would have been impacted since they would likely have had to add lights to the bottom or sides of the screen.  These are nitpicky issues.  I suspect the tint in the lighting is due to the off white screen rather than the lights themselves so if they implemented 2 then I think this would be a non issue.

Things I hope they don't add in the next model

1) Audio.  No one seems to really miss it from the original Nooks and it's adding weight to a device that's focusing on being lightweight.

2) removal of the light.  Don't like the light?  Don't use it.  It's not like it's always on, nor is it an automated thing.  And honestly it would make sense for B&N to remove the NST from their Nook line up and just go with the NSTG then phase that out when they release something in Spring.*

3) Increasing the size of the device, it's good as is.  I could see increasing the screen size if they could keep the footprint of the Nook the same. 

*I say phase out as in no longer producing, not no longer supporting.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Contributor
Evil_Overlord
0 Kudos

Thanks to all for the input. Very helpful, and considering it all, I think I'm likely to wait.

Frequent Contributor
Prmetime
0 Kudos

I can agree with most of what you said but I have a couple of thoughts that are different.  First, take the chassis of the Nook HD, and replace it with a color eInk screen.  Yes, the images will not be as vibrant as the LCD based tablets.  I know.  I don't expect that.  However, the larger screen real estate and even the limited color would make magazines and newspapers more relevant all across the range of devices.  Also, I like the seven inch screen size better than the six inch size of the current ereaders.  Plus, I think the Nook HD is the best design since the Nook 1E so I'm a little biased in wanting that look.  :smileytongue:

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

I can agree the chassis for the NST/NSTG could use some work.  The issue with a larger screen is the availability of eInk screens.  The last I checked it's essentially one or two companies making them (as in producing, not using).  This creates a limited variance in sizes, and again as far as I can recall the best size/cost option was the six inch.  This may have changed. 

Color eInk is out there.  But it's also much more costly than the black and white eink.  And as you mentioned does not provide the vibrance of the LCD screens.  I actually question if they would be a downgrade in the quality of the grayscale in the current NST/NSTG screens. 

As the NST/NSTG are meant to be entry level devices I imagine B&N wants to keep the price on them down. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
keriflur

The only company making e-ink screens is E-Ink. They're proprietary. 

I personally prefer the 6-inch size and design of the NST to any of the tablet designs. It's a reader made for readers. I hope B&N keeps serious readers in mind in whatever they choose to do for the next e-ink or epaper device. 

Inspired Scribe
kamas716

God, I hope they don't replace the NST with a 7" eInk reader.  I think the size of the NST is nearly perfect.  It's very light, fits in the hand well and is easy to grip.  The improvements I'd like to see in the NST are nearly all software issues, and nothing with the ergonomics.  A higher  resolution screen would be nice, but please don't mess with the size and shape.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Inspired Correspondent
bugeek
0 Kudos

Ability to rotate screen, as well as a improved PDF viewer built in, and make the browser more visible.. (if it works for Kindle....)
Inspired Correspondent
bugeek
0 Kudos

Color e-ink is a hack... Rather have the high resolution display used for color e-ink before the color filters thats like Ultra HD and have high quality greyscale,, 7in would be nice but id be happy if they put in a better PDF viewer, supported rotation, and allowed easy access to the browser even if its labeled "experimental" like the Kindle
Contributor
Evil_Overlord
0 Kudos

I've decided to wait, in part because I can't get a clear answer on whether the screen 'tears' problem is fixed, and I hope the next version will address that.