Reader 4
MerlinCA
0 Kudos

Where are the new APPs and how do you install them.?

Where are the new APPs and how do you install them.? For example a Planner APP or at least a calendar APP.  Are any apps available in addition to the EXTRAs that come pre-installed in the NOOKCOLOR?

Frequent Contributor
davedesrosiers
0 Kudos

Re: Where are the new APPs and how do you install them.?

The software development kit was released recently to developers. Im sure it will take some time for apps to be developed. We would also need some sort of software update in order for them to have a gateway for browsing / buying / and installing new apps. Similar to that of the App Store with apple and the Android Market for Android phones. 

For now im pretty sure all google web apps work. you could use their online calendar. that way you can access your calendar from any computer. 

m.google.com

B&N Bookseller
Megan_B
0 Kudos

BN will be releasing an App Store in the coming months. There is no specific date set, but as of now you can't technically download an App TO the NOOK, such as you can with an iPhone.

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

MerlinCA wrote:

Where are the new APPs and how do you install them.? For example a Planner APP or at least a calendar APP.  Are any apps available in addition to the EXTRAs that come pre-installed in the NOOKCOLOR?

Not currently...no, there are no apps available.    "Soon" (as in sometime during the 1st quarter of 2011) Barnes and Noble should have an app store up and running.    It will carry apps that have been developed for the NC and have been "approved" by the developer's program folks.

That is perfectly NORMAL.   The apps must fit in line with what the NC is (an eReader first) and must NOT harm it's basic function nor be subject to "hacking" or other harmful activities.

So you may not see an app that allows you to use your NC as a level, but you might well see an app that allows the NC to act as a notepad.

NOTE... I have ZERO affiliation with Barnes and Noble and have NO "inside" information, I am basing the above on publically avaialble information about the Nook Developer's program.

---------
Don
Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

Probably someone asking where the apps are is not a candidate for rooting. However, to fully answer the original question. My rooted Nook Color runs all the apps I have attempted beautifully. It has only made me more of a fan of the product. The screen is perfect for reading. Better software only enhances the experience.

I am only saying this because I hope that what B&N has in mind for the Froyo update truly is a fully functioning Android tablet. The product deserves it. It is truly the best reasonably priced, unbundled, 7" Android Tablet.