Reader
scc87
0 Kudos

Why I hate the nook

I've been very loyal for the past few years with my nook....but there is one thing that I absolutely hate about it: their book organization system.

I'm a book series type of person. I'm not too fond of stand alone books. So my book collection involves one author and many books from the same series. All the authors do this odd thing. They're titles for their book aren't released alphabetically. 

What exactly do I mean?

Let me give you an example of my favorite author, Kelley Armstrong. Some of her series books were named: Stolen (#2), Dime Store Magic (#3), and Industrial Magic (#4). Yep, the number is on the title...but it's the last part of the title. So instead of having Stolen listed as #2, Dime Store Magic listed as #3, and Industrial Magic listed as #4, I have them all alphabetized. Dime Store Magic, Industrial Magic, then Stole...

Why? Because I HAVE NO OTHER OPTIONS!

Sure, I could organize by date I ordered it...but I've already got the physical book...so I didn't buy them by how they were released, I bought them by which one was my favorite. 

But I don't want them organized by author, title, or date purchased. I want them organized by how they are in the series. Why is this a foreign concept for Barnes & Noble? Do they enjoy being masochists, feeding off my OCD of one thing that drives me up the wall? 

Even with the so called "bookshelves" that we have, we still can't organize them the way we want!

This has been mentioned multiple times on this community, but has Barnes & Noble even addressed it? Well, I have yet to see a reply from them. I mean...why reply to an issue when the opponent still hasn't figured it out?

I'd like to see sub titles be added to organization. This means that if a book is only one, the sub title would be the original title. But if the book was part of the series, it will be Series Title #1. Taking from my previous example, it would be Women of the Other World #2, Women of the Other World #3, and so forth. 

All of the series titles are in parentheses...so make that part of the code that you're writing. I don't understand why no one is getting any responses...or why it isn't being taken seriously. I am basically telling you the problem that many readers are having and GIVING YOU A SOLUTION!

If Barnes & Noble figures this out first, it'll give another marketing advantage to them, rather than the opponents. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

Re: Why I hate the nook

Someone will swoop in to correct (& berate) me if I'm wrong, but IIRC:

A book's title is set by its metadata. The metadata is programmed by the publisher, not B&N. B&N is likely unable to edit the metadata for any reason because of legal/contractural reasons.

While B&N can pass customer complaints along about this (whether they actually do is another question), they ultimately have no control over it.

If it concerns you too much, you can always break the DRM and edit the metadata yourself so the titles appear in the order you want. Of course, you would then have to sideload the books to get that to work.

I've done it with a PD series that I had much the same problem with: Burrough's Mars series. But that was much easier since I had no DRM to mess with.

bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

What you want is to sort by series. This (optional) metadata includes the series name, which will be the same for all titles in the same series, and series sequence, a simple numeric value. B&N could add sorting on series to their reader software.

Not all publishers necessarily provide this info in metadata, and it isn't part of the current epub standard (so far as I know). It would be nice to use it if it is provided. Calibre is very good at adding this information, but DRM gets in the way of adding it easily to commercial ebooks.

keriflur

B&N groups series in the reader apps and is rather incompetent about it. Be careful what you wish for.
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Some of the groupings are kind of problematic.  For example, B&N has grouped together all their classics, as if Gulliver's Travels, Les Miserables, Don Quixote, and The Three Musketeers somehow qualify as a series.  Also, what do you do about a series within a series?  There are a half-dozen books by Larry Niven in the Fleet of Worlds series, but they're classed as just part of his much larger Known Space series.

I wouldn't want them classed that way unless I could easily edit the metadata myself, to classify them as I want them, which would open up a larger can of worms.

bobstro
0 Kudos

Assuming one could edit metadata at will using Calibre, what capabilities do the NOOK readers on the various platforms have to sort using it?

keriflur
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

Assuming one could edit metadata at will using Calibre, what capabilities do the NOOK readers on the various platforms have to sort using it?

As far as I can tell, none, because books edited in Calibre would need to be sideloaded, and I've yet to figure out how to properly get a sideloaded book to show up in the Android app. I'm not sure it's even possible.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

bobstro wrote:

As far as I can tell, none, because books edited in Calibre would need to be sideloaded, and I've yet to figure out how to properly get a sideloaded book to show up in the Android app. I'm not sure it's even possible.

Not sure on the app front, as I can't see a way to add books on the iOS app.  As to the Nook itself, it doesn't get you anything since there's no sort options for anything aside from what you see with B&N purchased books.

You could, of course, work out a naming system.  It would have to be at the start of the title.  So for Game of Thrones GoT 01, GoT 02, GoT 03 and so on until you've come to the end.  I'm not sure if you'd need to get around DRM for this, it's possible just renaming the files might do the trick.  Though I suspect you'd need to do more. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I do get sideloaded books in the Android NOOK app by putting them in /sdcard/Nook/MyDocuments/Books, but the app only has Title, Recent and Author sort options.

Looking at my NST, only the same Title, Recent and Author sort options.

Kobo offers the same, plus File Size and Type options, which seem a little odd.

Moon+ Reader on Android offers books flagged as Favorites, Downloads, Tags and by Storage Folder.

Mantano Reader on Android offers Title, Author, Series, Rating, Addition and Access Date options, as well as various ways to select by tags.

It's a shame more of the big name device reading software doesn't offer more flexibility this way. The 3rd party apps seem to be more flexible. For now, I think MG's suggestion is as close as we're likely to get on stock devices, and that'll only work if they use the file name and don't read it from metadata. If nothing else, you could use Calibre to modify the title in metadata on non-DRM books.

keriflur
0 Kudos

You would need to modify the metadata to have any impact on title, which you can't do on a DRM'd file, so, stripping is the only option if changing the title is important to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

I'm not sure which NOOK model you own because you didn't specify, but you seem to be complaining about the way books can be organized in the NOOK library. 

I own a NOOK Tablet.  From the "Home" screen, I can select "books," then "my library."  From "my library" I can select "my stuff."  From there, I can  select "My Shelves."  I can create as many new shelves as I like, and I can name those shelves however I wish.  I can rename and reorganize the shelves whenever I like.  I currently have shelves organized and named by genres, and by my personal ratings of the books, ranging from 1 star to 5 stars.  I have shelves for non-fiction, Fantasy, Science Fiction, Apps, Borrowed (followed by the name of the library), Games, Periodicals, Samples and Freebies, and Technical Manuals.  You might use a different naming system. 

I don't know if this would solve your problem, but I have learned, over the years, to be as resourceful as I can, and to "think outside the box," when faced with a problem that is important to me, and that somebody else has not already solved to my satisfaction.

Could the customization of shelves within your NOOK help you out?

bobstro

I believe it's the limited options available even when viewing a shelf that's the problem. You can create a shelf for a series, but you can't view that shelf in series sequence number, only by title, author or recent. I believe that's what the OP meant by "bookshelves".

Correspondent
ewilson1114
0 Kudos

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

Not sure on the app front, as I can't see a way to add books on the iOS app.  As to the Nook itself, it doesn't get you anything since there's no sort options for anything aside from what you see with B&N purchased books.

You can add books to the iOS app but only through iTunes. You just plug the iOS device into the computer, open iTunes, click on the device in the left column, and then click on Apps along the top. If you scroll down to the bottom of that page there is a section that lists the apps that you can load documents to through iTunes. Nook is one of them.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

ewilson1114 wrote:

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

You can add books to the iOS app but only through iTunes. You just plug the iOS device into the computer, open iTunes, click on the device in the left column, and then click on Apps along the top. If you scroll down to the bottom of that page there is a section that lists the apps that you can load documents to through iTunes. Nook is one of them.

Good to know, though I likely wont do this, I'd rather read on my Nook.  At least I can tell folks how now.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Correspondent
ewilson1114
0 Kudos

I do a fair bit of reading on the go and don't usually like carrying my nooks around as I carry a small purse. So I end up side loading and reading on my iPhone alot
keriflur
0 Kudos

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

ewilson1114 wrote:

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

Good to know, though I likely wont do this, I'd rather read on my Nook.  At least I can tell folks how now.

FWIW - I've had luck with opening pdfs from dropbox and sugarsync in the iOS7 nook app on the ipad. I haven't yet tried with epubs, but I suspect that will work fine too.

Correspondent
ewilson1114
0 Kudos

You can also open an emailed pdf in the Nook app so that could work as well for epubs. I haven't tested it yet.