Contributor
damamabear33
0 Kudos

Why do we have to pay for free apps through our NC?

I checked out some of the apps I like. And we are being charged for things like Angry Birds. Why is B&N choosing to charge us for these apps? If they are trying to make this better I don't see how that is in there favor! I can get the same apps on my android phone for free. Its very sad, I feel like they are trying to take advantage of the NC lovers out there.
Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure

Re: Why do we have to pay for free apps through our NC?

There have been discussions on this and Nallia wrote an extensive comparison on many apps that first came out. Many, if not most free apps on Android have ads. They often feature pay for versions without the ads. Angry Birds on the NC is in HD, optimized for the NC's screen. The Andoid version is not. This is up to developers. And, I don't get the question about them trying to make this better. Apps enhance the experience, some are specific to the NC and not found elsewhere. The NC is primarily an ereader, but with some tablet functions. Apps like quickoffice pro, ezpdf, and so on just add to the functionality. You decide if they are worth the money if there's a fee.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Frequent Contributor
GameAmour

It's an old topic for discussion ... :smileyvery-happy: 

There are few points to consider when answering such question:

1) There is very high volume of piracy on Android, so Rovio decided to put ads in it and release it for free, in other words the revenue is paid by sponsors, not by consumer in exchange for slightly annoying ads. If not for piracy, the price would be the same as in any other app store.

2) NOOKColor is a tablet, developing for tablets is more expensive resource wise.

3) B&N does not allow ads in apps, thus the only revenue stream is pay-per-play model (a.k.a paid apps)

I hope this helps to understand the business model developers have to choose when publishing for NOOK Apps, so they can have decent ROI.

Game Amour - Nook Apps developer and publisher

♥ NOOK Apps: Pigs Can Fly, Add-O-Matic, Vampires Vs Werewolves, Reversi Deluxe
Frequent Contributor
sharsi

I don't understand how anyone can complain paying $2.99 for hours of enjoyment. I think it is quite a bargain. The games that play on other devices that have advertising are very annoying. I  think it is totally worth the price we pay to be commercial free.

Contributor
PirateNookGirl
0 Kudos

I'd rather pay the 2.99 than have ads in the game. I've played it on my husband's Samsung Mesmerize, and the ads are annoying.

Contributor
damamabear33
0 Kudos

Thank you for answering nicely! I gave you a laurel! I'm getting pissed because I am new to boards and what my NC can do! Not everyone knows about ads, priracy and all that other stuff! Just because I ask an old question doesn't mean I'm bitching! It may just be that I don't know everything and have to ask for help so I understand! And not that I'm informed about the subject I will be looking to purchase some of my favorite apps. Yes the ads are very annoying & time consuming I didn't know there was another option. So thanks again for nicely explaining it me! I really do appreciate your time! And yes I probally will ask another "stupid" question to someone! But I'm still learning! Not everyone was born with a computer in their hands! I only had rocks! (Get it, the Stone Age!) LOL!
Correspondent
FARIEQUEENE
0 Kudos

I will add one more bit of information to this so you can understand the way in which pricing works on the NC as well, almost 95% of the time Barnes and Noble has no say in the price of an app/book/magazine unless they are the publisher of such.  The pricing is all in the hands of the developer/publisher in that case, roxio chose 2.99 to supplement the fact they are not getting ad revenue just like publishers choose the prices of their books and magazines.  The only times Barnes and Noble has a say in how much an app/book/magazine costs, is if they are the publisher/developer themselves.  Most of the BN exclusive apps are free and the books BN publishes are low cost 1.99 up to about 3.99.  So when you do have a pricing problem and you want to let the right people know... find out who the developer/publisher is and contact them, maybe then if those people get the proper amount of complaints for some things that are unreasonably price....the right people will know and change may occur.

"I have the body but of a weak and feeble woman; but I have the heart and stomach of a king."
Frequent Contributor
GameAmour
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@damamabear33

It was not a "stupid" question at all! Glad you asked it, some people are just going berserk and leave bad reviews for an app just because it has different pricing model. In the end, it's a typical market - users show demand for entertaining apps, developers fullfill the demand by publishing apps, yet they need to get some revenue to pay their bills, one way or another (paid apps or free apps with ads). Just like writers as it was mentioned above.

Feel free to ask more questions! :smileyvery-happy:

P.S. And thank you very much for the Laurel! This makes me feel like I did something good for another person :smileyvery-happy:

Game Amour - Nook Apps developer and publisher

♥ NOOK Apps: Pigs Can Fly, Add-O-Matic, Vampires Vs Werewolves, Reversi Deluxe
Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

You can't get angry birds for free, yes you can get the free version but it's not the same.

Everything free on your android phone is just a version, the paid app like on NC are the same that are in your android market.

Why is everyone so darn cheap over stuff?