Reader 4
Prawna
0 Kudos

Why do you like your Nook Simple Touch?

I'm about to get an ereader and it's down to Nook or Kindle. I have a friend who's told me why she likes her Kindle but I don't know anyone with a Nook, so I thought I'd ask you here. I've seen the Nook in the store and so far, am pretty impressed. So, please tell me what made you pick the Nook.

Thanks!

Inspired Correspondent
MacFlash
0 Kudos

Re: Why do you like your Nook Simple Touch?

I think the biggest difference is that if you buy a Kindle, you have to buy your books through the Kindle store. The Nook allows generic EPUB so you have more choices of where to buy your books.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0

The Nook Simple Touch has 4 very discrete buttons on the sides for page turning.  From what I've seen the Kindle touch is only touch screen.  I've found that there are times I am reading when turning the page with the buttons is more comfortable than touching the screen.  For example, if I'm petting the cat with one hand while I'm reading... :smileywink:

►Without order there is chaos◄
Contributor
St_Claire
0 Kudos

I chose the NOOK over the Kindle because I like to check out books from the public library and you have more choices on the NOOK. Kindle requires Kindle books whereas the NOOK takes EPUB, a more universal format. It also takes Adobe PDF but I wouldn't recommend it until B&N can figure out how to render the PDF on the NOOK without losing it's formatting.

I do not find the sharing feature to be all that useful, it's only good for 2 weeks and you can only do it one time. You can probably get the same book from the library for 3 weeks. I have requested my local library order/buy books in EPUB format for me and they have done so many times.

I definitely like the touch screen as opposed to buttons on the bottom.

I would go to Target or another retailer and hold them both and see what you think. What feels comfortable to you?

I like the size of the NOOK Simple Touch and it's super lightweight. The NOOK uses a micro USB to charge, if you already have one at home for a cell phone or something, use that and don't worry about buying one (the Simple Touch no longer comes with a power cord, neither do any of the Kindles).

I LOVE the screen iin the brightest of sunlight. No glare and the words are perfectly crisp.

Frequent Contributor
rafalweb
0 Kudos

The two are really functionally quite similar, so it comes down more to subtle details in the design, and then the service and selection from the retailers.   They're almost the same size, and have the same screen.   Battery life for both are very good.  Amazonians will beg to differ, but the batter life really isn't different.  On the other hand, the interfaces are different.  Reviews I've seen are of the opinion that the Nook has a much better interface.  It also has those buttons, and that nice rubberized feel.  But beyond that, they're like close cousins.

So it becomes a decision based on Amazon versus BN service and sales.  I like BN because I still like to go to the stores.  You do get personal support in the stores.   No such luck with Amazon  You also get to read any ebook in the store for an hour or so.  And Amazon doesn't sell coffee or lattes, or cookies.

The big thing for me is that I can get my books from any number of sources...not just BN.  Sites like manybooks.net, and epubbooks.com have many frre books that I can just sideload into my nook.   I'm not sure if the Kindles do that.  I know the last generation Kindles did not.

That's it from my end.  Which ever one you pick, enjoy....

Reader 4
Prawna
0 Kudos

Thanks for all the info. I wish I were closer to a Barnes & Noble store, but the nearest is about 80 miles away. However, I can see the Nook at Staples. I have to say at this point, I'm leaning toward the Nook!

Bibliophile
bklvr896

I can share books with close friends/relatives by inputting the cc number into the Nook the first time I load a book on their device.  After that, I can email books to them.

You should know up front, since this seems to bother some folks, that you must have a default credit card on file to buy books, regardless of whether or not they are free books or you are paying with a gift card.  The cc is part of process to create the unlock key for the book.  The cc is not stored on the Nook nor is it actually part of the unlock key, it's used along with other information to create a unique key.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Prawna wrote:

Thanks for all the info. I wish I were closer to a Barnes & Noble store, but the nearest is about 80 miles away. However, I can see the Nook at Staples. I have to say at this point, I'm leaning toward the Nook!

You can see them both, as well as the latest generation Kobo and Sony at Target.

Don't buy at Target, because they still have the NOOK priced at $139, but you can play with them almost side by side.

Inspired Correspondent
DeltaT
0 Kudos

What do like about the Nook Simpe Touch?

Nothing, now.  The 1.1 upgrade did not solve any problems.  There is still too big a gap between fonts 5 and 6, just where you need more choices.

And I found out today that all of the books that I didn't buy (circa 35 %) because the font styles could not be changed, are now magically OK on the new Nook tablet.  They are still wrong on every other Nook device or app.

Of course, I could never get even an acknowledgement of the problem, let alone any recompense.

B&N always told me it was the publisher at fault.  It isn't.  Look at the sample of "The Lost Symbol" on all of the Nook devices and apps.

Only the new Nook tablet allows you to change font style.  ALL other versions of the e-book on other readers have allowed this, in e-pub, ADE, Apple, or Kindle format.  It's just more proof of prevaricating incompetence in Nook CS.

My Kindle Touch will be here early next week, with two font sizes I can read, and the ability to change the font style on all of the problem books I've encountered.

There were things I liked about B&N, but they simply kept kicking at me with incompetance and lies.

By the way, I caught Amazon in the first lie ever last week.  When I called to complain, I got a sincere apology and a $30 credit.  If B&N had ever done that, I might consider staying.

Technically, the Kindle Touch has slightly slower page turns comapred with the recent update of NST.  But does it really matter if you can't read the book due to inadequate font size choices and hardwired font styles?

The formatting problems are definitely caused by B&N.  They appear in no other versions of the books, including ePub versions from anywhere else.  With non-DRM books, they can be corrected by converting from ePub to Mobi, and back again to ePub.  B&N is either allowing or adding restrictive metadata.

I especially love the books that change to a tiny italic every few paragraphs for no reason.  The same books do not do that with any other vendor, regardless of format.

But I do like the case.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

DeltaT wrote:

What do like about the Nook Simpe Touch?

Nothing, now.  The 1.1 upgrade did not solve any problems.  There is still too big a gap between fonts 5 and 6, just where you need more choices.

And I found out today that all of the books that I didn't buy (circa 35 %) because the font styles could not be changed, are now magically OK on the new Nook tablet.  They are still wrong on every other Nook device or app.

Of course, I could never get even an acknowledgement of the problem, let alone any recompense.

B&N always told me it was the publisher at fault.  It isn't.  Look at the sample of "The Lost Symbol" on all of the Nook devices and apps.

Only the new Nook tablet allows you to change font style.  ALL other versions of the e-book on other readers have allowed this, in e-pub, ADE, Apple, or Kindle format.  It's just more proof of prevaricating incompetence in Nook CS.

My Kindle Touch will be here early next week, with two font sizes I can read, and the ability to change the font style on all of the problem books I've encountered.

There were things I liked about B&N, but they simply kept kicking at me with incompetance and lies.

By the way, I caught Amazon in the first lie ever last week.  When I called to complain, I got a sincere apology and a $30 credit.  If B&N had ever done that, I might consider staying.

Technically, the Kindle Touch has slightly slower page turns comapred with the recent update of NST.  But does it really matter if you can't read the book due to inadequate font size choices and hardwired font styles?

The formatting problems are definitely caused by B&N.  They appear in no other versions of the books, including ePub versions from anywhere else.  With non-DRM books, they can be corrected by converting from ePub to Mobi, and back again to ePub.  B&N is either allowing or adding restrictive metadata.

I especially love the books that change to a tiny italic every few paragraphs for no reason.  The same books do not do that with any other vendor, regardless of format.

But I do like the case.

Just for the record I've had Nooks since they first came out and have had none of the "formatting problems" you have experienced and I've read A LOT of books on my original Nook and my Nook Simple Touch.

I'm not saying that what you're saying isn't true.  I'm just saying I haven't experienced any of it.

Enjoy your Kindle.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Correspondent
RJR443
0 Kudos

I've got to agree with Alamn NJ. In the year I've had my first and second Nook, I have not had formatting problems..  On the other hand, Delta T is right anbout the gap between font sizes five and six.  Apparently like Delta, I'm visually impaired and Ifind five too small, but six to large.

That cavil aside, I like my N2 a great deal.  The print is crystal clear and sharp, the interface is very user friendly, and the battery life is extraordinary.

I wish they'd do something about the inept library filing system, though.

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

If you are technical at all, like myself, you'll like the fact that you can really get "under the hood" using Calibre with the Nook.

I had a book that the publisher messed up and burned in the title, author, and page numbers on every page.  VERY annoying and frustrating to read.  "The creature arose from the Page 35 Book Name Author Name crypt..."

I was able to unlock the book, edit it, and reload it so I could read it.

Also, the Kindles now rely very heavily on "cloud storage."  I put in a 2GB SD card I had handy and can store hundreds and hundreds of books.  I prefer to have all my books ON the device so I don't have to  worry about getting them while out of wi-fi range or run my battery down doing data transfers.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Byteguy wrote:

Also, the Kindles now rely very heavily on "cloud storage."  I put in a 2GB SD card I had handy and can store hundreds and hundreds of books.  I prefer to have all my books ON the device so I don't have to  worry about getting them while out of wi-fi range or run my battery down doing data transfers.

I also really like the SD card.  I like that I can sideload books to the card and keep all my books with me.

I really like the look and feel of the device.  It feels good in my hand.  I can't compare it to the kindle touch as I haven't held one, but I know the nook has a nice shape and that I can hold it for a long time without becoming uncomfortable or having my hand cramp up.

Also, I like that all my eggs are not in one basket.  I have a prime account and shop a lot at Amazon, but I don't have my whole life tied to them.  With the nook I can shop around for books, so I'm not tied to B&N either.

And I like to support the underdog.

Contributor
St_Claire
0 Kudos

I was just at Target and they are at the new price.