Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Why isn't Nook for PC an option for some books? Yet Nook Study and Nook for Windows 8 is ok?

I "usually" check for compatibility prior to making an ebook purchase as I like to back things up using Nook for PC (I'm lazy, and it downloads with the title that way.)  Have noticed lately some instances where Nook for PC isn't an option.  Yet there are still options to download to Nook Study and Nook for Windows 8.  So,

1) What's up with that? Why allow for backups on two platforms but not the third?

2) Has anyone that's not a student ever gotten Nook Study to run properly?  Always gets stuck for me when it asks for a school.  It just spins, and spins, and spins........

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

Re: Why isn't Nook for PC an option for some books? Yet Nook Study and Nook for Windows 8 is ok?

I have...but I think I just entered a nearby college, even though I wasn't attending.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Re: Why isn't Nook for PC an option for some books? Yet Nook Study and Nook for Windows 8 is ok?

Yeah, I tried using the local community college and it didn't work for me. Am going to try to download and install it again.

Can you check something else for me?  Do you have any catalogs on your account?  (Was perusing the Nook Apps forum and it looks like that mightbe the issue.  TIA!

Frequent Contributor
Davan
0 Kudos

The catalog issue was fixed two weeks ago for NOOKStudy.  Grab the latest version for the bug fix.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Seems to be something wrong with NookStudy download today. "Grabbing it" doesnt work. Have tried:

1) updating the app

2) installing the app fresh on a different computer. This doesnt download at all. just get error about web page.

Neither one works. Both win 7.

Tried it about a month ago. Getting same results today. Can get as far as download page. It just spins and spins on the "loading your library page."  We're talking an hour plus. And its not done downloading. Aborted nooj study. Went back to Nook for PC. Got rid of catalogs. Restarted Nook study. Its been "loading" for about 15 minutes now. How long should it take to load?

On the plus side, had downloaded a sample of the book was looking at. The sample downloaded to Nook for PC even though the details dont include that. But download is a pdf (havent seen a book purchase in that format for awhile.) But it is a "PagePerfect Book" so it makes sense?

Any other suggestions on Nook Study?

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

NookGardener, it might be that B&N finds NookStudy and Nook for Windows 8 have higher purchase rates and lower piracy rates.

Lots of PC users have a somewhat 'liberated' attitude towards copyright.

On the other hand, people who enter closed ecosystems tend to be OK paying for stuff.

Or perhaps it's just a different team working on Nook for PC and it isn't up to date yet.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

5ivedom wrote:

NookGardener, it might be that B&N finds NookStudy and Nook for Windows 8 have higher purchase rates and lower piracy rates.

I'm fascinated about what's not PC about Windows 8.  :smileyfrustrated:

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

It's a move towards a closed ecosystem.

Users who will come into it will be 'aligned' differently.

If you observe the way everything works in Windows 8 it's basically a shift towards making Windows more of a 'guided' system, and eventually a closed ecosystem.

Notice things like

1) Very strict certification to be able to sell apps.

2) Rules (that are quite strict) to even list software that is not apps.

3) The focus on the App Store.

4) The limitations around what Metro Apps can do and can't do. Note: They can't even change system volume (i.e. changes done in app do not reflect outside the app). Lots of strange limits.

I don't know how to explain it. Windows 8 is the gateway towards a very different experience.

You also see the shifts in how Microsoft is shifting to recurring services instead of 1-time OS purchases. And Xbox Live Paid subscriptions.

MS is doing a LOT of very smart things. Most people don't realize it because they are not Silicon Valley and not run by a 17 year old kid.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

5ivedom wrote:

I'm fascinated about what's not PC about Windows 8.  :smileyfrustrated:

Yes!  And I'm amused that PagePerfect is just a fancy name for pdf :smileywink:

@5ivedom, appreciate your comments about ecosystems.  Feel that you are missing my point about backing up books. Both Nook for PC and Nook Study run on PC's (using Win 7 and prior.)  So there is no reason that you shouldn't be able to back up your books on either program.  Shouldn't require both programs or requiring customers to switch from Nook for PC (if they have been using it for years) to Nook Study.

On the plus side, B&N seems to have fixed the links on Nook Study last night.  So maybe I can get the update and load the thing. 

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

OK, I understand now NookGardener.