Reply
Inspired Contributor
nookloverjf
Posts: 53
Registered: ‎04-12-2011

Re: Why root your Nook Color?

If you get confused about all the methods, there is a micro sd card made that you can buy with cm7 already on it. Just put it in your sd card slot and turn on your nook. As it is booting, you can choose emmc,nook, or android, cm7, and it will boot either way. It works great and it is another choice you have. You can check it out at http://www.n2acards.com/ Good luck.
Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
Posts: 1,903
Registered: ‎12-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Why root your Nook Color?

Good question. This thing already puts a big enough dent on my productivty being stock. Lol
Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Distinguished Correspondent
Nooksie
Posts: 157
Registered: ‎04-21-2011

Re: Why root your Nook Color?


nookloverjf wrote:
If you get confused about all the methods, there is a micro sd card made that you can buy with cm7 already on it. Just put it in your sd card slot and turn on your nook. As it is booting, you can choose emmc,nook, or android, cm7, and it will boot either way. It works great and it is another choice you have. You can check it out at http://www.n2acards.com/ Good luck.


The n2a card.  That's what I did.  It satisfied my desire to have it all yet still keep ny NookC stock.  Really, though, I use it little.  And that is exactly the reason I did not want to root my device.  My NookC is my eReader first and with n2a all the rest is there if ever I want to walk on the wild side.

Inspired Wordsmith
taosaur
Posts: 280
Registered: ‎08-03-2011

Re: Why root your Nook Color?

Personally, my main reason for nuking stock and installing CM7 was to have a better e-reader. Both the library and the reader on stock were sorely limited before they decided to hide all your B&N purchases. I also wasn't willing to be artificially locked out of the major competitor's bookstore. Virtually every point in which stock differs from less doctored versions of Android, it's a loss of functionality. 

 

I don't blame B&N specifically for the shortcomings, because I learned this lesson from AT&T long ago: do not get your software from service providers. Their goal is to limit functionality so that you will pay to remove or get around the limitations, and to streamline your ability to continue handing them money at the expense of core functions for which you purchased the device in the first place. As with so many devices released on a subscription, membership, or contract basis, the advertised primary function was an afterthought, never intended to be better than adequate.

New User
marz73
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎04-30-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Why root your Nook Color?

If I root my nook color can i play cafe world on facebook???

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
Posts: 766
Registered: ‎11-24-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Why root your Nook Color?


taosaur wrote:

Personally, my main reason for nuking stock and installing CM7 was to have a better e-reader. Both the library and the reader on stock were sorely limited before they decided to hide all your B&N purchases. I also wasn't willing to be artificially locked out of the major competitor's bookstore. Virtually every point in which stock differs from less doctored versions of Android, it's a loss of functionality.


There is, however, no need to "nuke stock and install CM7" to do that. Just root the stock system and you can install whatever reader you like.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
Posts: 3,521
Registered: ‎01-01-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Why root your Nook Color?


BruceMcF wrote:

There is, however, no need to "nuke stock and install CM7" to do that. Just root the stock system and you can install whatever reader you like.


This is true. However, once you dump the stock reader, the reasons to bother with the stock B&N firmware drop significantly, and the offsettings advantages CM offers become more attractive. I gamely worked with (and around) rooted B&N for 6 months. I quite liked the reader for epubs, but wanted something that allowed both epub and PDF reading in a single, integrated app with better (IMO) handling of PDFs, so I started using Mantano Reader. At that point, there was little reason not to jump over to CM.

 

I do miss reading Wired Mag, but I'm hoping the next release of the Android app will support enhanced titles. The free Read-In-Store feature is nice, but I'm not in B&N stores all that frequently. No kids, so read-to-me isn't a draw.