Contributor
Three-Redheads
0 Kudos

Why root your Nook Color?

I just heard about rooting yesterday and have looked it up on google, but really want your thoughts on the benefits to rooting your NC.

What can you do on there that you cannot do now?

Thanks so much!

Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

Re: Why root your Nook Color?

Android app market, netflix, live wallpapers, widgets, better web browsers, amazon books, better gallery apps, cut and paste, can still maintain all stock functions, and aparently can pair with a bluetooth keyboard. Also, if you don't like it, you can reset back to stock. The only reason not to is the whole voided warranty thing.
Frequent Contributor
UrSunshine

I'm running CM7 on SD card, so that the original Nook system is not altered in any way.

In my case, by being able to use CM7, I can.....

- Access the Android Market and install any games & apps that are available out there. I believe there currently are less than 200 apps available through B&N.

- By installing an app called Vital Player, I do not have to convert video files to mp4 anymore. I can just transfer avi. files & watch them. Easy.

- By installing a great comic book reading app, just like the video files, all I have to do is to transfer the zip files and read them. Easy.

- Installing Dolphin Browser has improved the web-browsing experience.

- You can read Kindle files if you have them.

- Oh, for me, I was able to download an input app that allows me to type in a different language (e.g. Korean), which is a big plus because I browse websites & compose e-mails in English and Korean.

Yeah, most of the time, I just use the origianl NC system to read.

But there are times that these functions come very handy.

:smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
mariel9898
0 Kudos

Access to the entire Android Market as well as other sources of apps (Amazon App Store, App Brain, etc.) and all that implies such as:

Being able to overclock (I don't do this) and underclock when needed saves on battery. I installed SetCPU and went from charging every day and half or so to charging every four days or so.

Being able to use various readers so I can get books from just about any source out there.

Being able to use Overdrive as well as ADE for borrowing library books.

Access to better web browsers.

Access to better keyboards.

Contributor
Three-Redheads
0 Kudos

Thank you all!  I just ordered a Sandisk Micro card.  I want to try it, but with the ability to restore to factory settings.  I had no idea it did all of that!

What's funny is an employee at B & N told me that one of her co-workers rooted his NC.

Once I get my SD card, I may be back with questions.  There are so many links to the various ways to root the NC.  

Contributor
Three-Redheads
0 Kudos

I just thought of something.  I read you have to have your gmail email as your email for youtube.  Does it have to be the same email I use for B & N?  If so, I'm outta luck.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

No, your address for B and N does not need to be your gmail address.

If you need to reset and reregister to a diferent address, you can do that.  for some folks it just works, for others it involves a call to customer service. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Frequent Contributor
Lulugirl28
0 Kudos

I am a little bit confused about rooting but am I understanding that I can root to an SD card to have the "rooting" experience but when the card is removed, the Nook is the same as usual?  I also don't understand the dual boot thing. Also one poster said that by rooting you can use Overdrive to read books from the library. You don't need to root to be able to use Overdrive.

Wordsmith
Droiddict
0 Kudos

Lulugirl28 wrote:

You don't need to root to be able to use Overdrive

You can use Overdive to download books to your computer and then transfer the books to your nook without rooting or useing a custom ROM like CM7.   If you root the stock OS or run a custom ROM, you can install the Overdrive ap from Android Market and download books directly to the Nook.  For me, this is SO much better than having to hook up and transfer files.   

Contributor
Three-Redheads
0 Kudos

Overdrive in its current state, is a pain.

Love all the info on this site!!

Wordsmith
mariel9898
0 Kudos

Droiddict wrote:

Lulugirl28 wrote:

You don't need to root to be able to use Overdrive

You can use Overdive to download books to your computer and then transfer the books to your nook without rooting or useing a custom ROM like CM7.   If you root the stock OS or run a custom ROM, you can install the Overdrive ap from Android Market and download books directly to the Nook.  For me, this is SO much better than having to hook up and transfer files.   

That is what I meant - you can use the Overdrive app wirelessly.

Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

Lulugirl28 wrote:

I am a little bit confused about rooting but am I understanding that I can root to an SD card to have the "rooting" experience but when the card is removed, the Nook is the same as usual?  I also don't understand the dual boot thing.

That is exactly right. Card in, root experience. Card out, stock. And dual boot: upon booting the nc, you can choose which os to boot, so with the right setup, you can boot stock or root with the card still in. Convenient if you require tweezers to add/remove the sd card. The dual boot card i made has both cm7 and honeycomb(apparently a preview version). I'm more satisfied with manual nooter though, so I will be reformating the card for mp4 storage.
New User
Jelisica
0 Kudos

i would love to root my NC like yours any possible way you can tell me how or where to go ... Sounds the best so far not touching the original settings. Thank you
Scribe
dfehling
0 Kudos

Jelisica wrote:
i would love to root my NC like yours any possible way you can tell me how or where to go ... Sounds the best so far not touching the original settings. Thank you

I just did it this morning following this video and instructions: http://www.anamardoll.com/2011/04/ereader-running-cm7-firmware-on-nook.html

Very quick and easy.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Attributed to Groucho Marx
Inspired Contributor
snickersfl
0 Kudos

That is exactly right. Card in, root experience. Card out, stock. And dual boot: upon booting the nc, you can choose which os to boot, so with the right setup, you can boot stock or root with the card still in. Convenient if you require tweezers to add/remove the sd card. The dual boot card i made has both cm7 and honeycomb(apparently a preview version). I'm more satisfied with manual nooter though, so I will be reformating the card for mp4 storage. As I understand what you said, I would be able to boot either regular Nook or the CM7 with the card in the slot. I wouldn't have to remove the slot. Do you have a link to do that? I read that this procedure has you remove the card before the Nook will boot stock. I read some of the comments and it looks like folks were having problems.
Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

snickersfl wrote:

chuck4pres wrote:

That is exactly right. Card in, root experience. Card out, stock. And dual boot: upon booting the nc, you can choose which os to boot, so with the right setup, you can boot stock or root with the card still in. Convenient if you require tweezers to add/remove the sd card. The dual boot card i made has both cm7 and honeycomb(apparently a preview version). I'm more satisfied with manual nooter though, so I will be reformating the card for mp4 storage.

As I understand what you said, I would be able to boot either regular Nook or the CM7 with the card in the slot. I wouldn't have to remove the slot. Do you have a link to do that? I read that this procedure has you remove the card before the Nook will boot stock. I read some of the comments and it looks like folks were having problems.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=947698

I have not done this so I can not testify as to how easy it is to set up. My dual boot option was to either open up into cm7 or to open up into the honeycomb sample. I still had to remove the card to boot into stock os(or in my case manual nooter 4.5.6)

If you get stumped, I would highly suggest you read up on root methods and boot disk methods from multiple sites, they all vary on clarity at different steps, and by expanding your antroid vocabulary and terminology will greatly increase the ease of these processes for you, and make it easier for others to answer your questions efficiently and accurately.

Googling key words is a great way to get lists of useful threads. Examples for your purposes:

uboot, cm7, stock 1.2, CWR, dual boot, phiremod... and it never hurts to throw in "nook color".

Not trying to sway your decision, just trying to clarify another option: Manual nooter method allows you to switch back and forth very easily between stock interface and root interface without rebooting, and is MUCH easier to successfully pull off (at least for me).  If you are concerned about voiding your warranty (which is legitamate) you may want to weigh the pro's and con's. I have not read anywhere that anybody has been denied a warranty claim because they have modified their software, and more importantly, I have not read anywhere that anybody was not able to restore their NC to stock if they were unhappy with their final result. I almost believe these NCs are bulletproof. But that is just my opinion and i am presenting it as such.

Inspired Contributor
snickersfl
0 Kudos

Thanks for the info. I had read before the manual rooter does allow you to change back and forth easily. I like that, but I am indeed concerned about voiding my warrantee, ot even worse, getting stuck in the middle of the job. On the otherhand, the card method seemed easier and wouldn't void warantee, but would make it difficult to switch back & forth. I had about decided to start with the card root, just to get used to the process, than, when I' m more comfortable, try for the internal root, which really sounds like the best. Now I need to check out manual nooter, if I weren't such a coward. I do need to do lots more reading though. Thank yo so very much for taking the time to help. I've read to
New User
Deminox

Why NOT root it?
As for voiding the warranty, hypothetical question here, but if you reset it to factory default before sending it in for repairs, how would they know unless you told them?

I'm completely disgusted with hardware devices saying that software voids your hardware warranty. Thats like a VCR that voids your warranty if you play anything released by Mirimax. It would be like a car company saying "you can only use Citgo". It's totally bogus.

I understand that they want to maintain profit, but those of us who root do it so we can use a browser we like. Or customize our destop area. We aren't all pirates and theives. In fact, most arent. Those who want to buy apps and software will still buy them. Those of us who prefer the free content wouldnt buy it anyways, rooted or not. This is just B&N cutting off their noses to spite their faces. It's something I expect of companies like Apple. Ugh, and locking people out of the tablet versions storage space and only giving them a gig? I'll tell you what warranty was voided there, "customer trust".

So root your device, ENJOY your device, after all YOU paid for it. You arent renting it from B&N, so don't feel like they have to control it for you, like an over-zealous parent afraid you might turn on cartoons instead of educational shows if they gave you the tv remote,

New User
ScorpiomomCP
0 Kudos

Did you ever find out anything on this? I just got the nook tablet......really like it accept that there are very few apps, and most of them cost as much, if not more, than the books! Not impressed.

I heard about rooting but really don't want to lose my warranty.

Not sure how much a difference rooting it would make in a tablet. I kow the coor and others it probably makes a larger difference and the benefits may outweigh the cost as far as the warranty goes. BUt I spent a nice chunk on the tablet, and my luck...the minute I root it something will happen and I'll wish I hadn't broken my warranty. It's ridiculous.

SO....if the nook can be rooted using the SD card, and removing it leaves the originally settings (without rooting) then would they have any way of knowing and would it truly violate the warranty?? I wonder if there is any way of the knowing....

If there's a way to root it without them knowing or ruining my warranty I'd like to.

I have two college textbooks through the nook study app....which bewildered me that you can't actually use it on the nook.....what is that all about?! NOT COOL....completely disappointed!! Is there any way, perhaps through rooting it or something, that I can access my textbooks in the nook study app in order to read them on my nook tablet??

Also, the requirement for the SD card is a bunch of garbage......when you pay this kind of money and have minimal insufficient storage space.....BS SO now....I get to go buy that as well.

Frequent Contributor
Bluepen61

You need to post this in the Nook Tablet forum and not here in the Nook Color forum.

ScorpiomomCP wrote:

Did you ever find out anything on this? I just got the nook tablet......really like it accept that there are very few apps, and most of them cost as much, if not more, than the books! Not impressed.

I heard about rooting but really don't want to lose my warranty.

Not sure how much a difference rooting it would make in a tablet. I kow the coor and others it probably makes a larger difference and the benefits may outweigh the cost as far as the warranty goes. BUt I spent a nice chunk on the tablet, and my luck...the minute I root it something will happen and I'll wish I hadn't broken my warranty. It's ridiculous.

SO....if the nook can be rooted using the SD card, and removing it leaves the originally settings (without rooting) then would they have any way of knowing and would it truly violate the warranty?? I wonder if there is any way of the knowing....

If there's a way to root it without them knowing or ruining my warranty I'd like to.

I have two college textbooks through the nook study app....which bewildered me that you can't actually use it on the nook.....what is that all about?! NOT COOL....completely disappointed!! Is there any way, perhaps through rooting it or something, that I can access my textbooks in the nook study app in order to read them on my nook tablet??

Also, the requirement for the SD card is a bunch of garbage......when you pay this kind of money and have minimal insufficient storage space.....BS SO now....I get to go buy that as well.

Not all who wander are lost. ---J. R. R. Tolkien
Nook HD 8 GB, Stock Root and Other Mods