Wordsmith
JinSC
0 Kudos

Why the NHD+ and not Galaxy Tab 2?

I've owned an NC for two years and i love it.  My wife wants to give me an HD or HD+ for Christmas.  But as i read the problems here I've been thinking maybe I should get something like a Galaxy Tab 2.  Points I'm considering:

HD+

--great screen

--I like the Nook stock reader. 

--HDMI output...eventually

Tab 2  (16gb currently $299)

--full Android Market

--usb host feature

--digital camera

I would like to get another Nook product, but I'm asking myself if i wouldn't be better off with a full featured Android tablet.  I would miss the stock reader and the ability to quickly look up words, but would gain a bunch of apps.  What am I missing to keep me in the Nook fold?

Thanks!

Jeremy

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek

Re: Why the NHD+ and not Galaxy Tab 2?

Big question: what regular Android apps do you need/want that you aren't getting on the Nook? Just how important are they to you? At the end of the day, I decided there were very few Android apps that I HAD to have on my tablet that I don't already get via my Nook. Part of the reason for that is that I already get the location-based apps on my phone and don't care about having them on my tablet. I don't want GPS burning up my tablet battery and don't need another camera device. Other people HAVE to have some apps from the Google Play Store on their tablet so would be better off with the Galaxy Tab 2 or similar device. There ARE some Google Play Store apps that I'd like but either can't have or would need to purchase again on the Nook but they aren't terribly important to me -- YMMV.
Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed
Distinguished Correspondent
gabourele
0 Kudos

How I am seeing it is with the launch of HD and HD+, The Microsoft deal and Nook UK, I see apps coming in a major way to nook soon. Example Spotify which just came in today. So far they are adding stuff never seen on nook before. EA has already said all their apps will be available for nook soon. As one with a galaxy 2.0 plus myself and an Ipad 2 I have fallen in love with my HD+ even more they just need to add more apps to their collection and they are set.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb

The best reason to buy the galaxy is that it is open without rooting.

Camera is useless except for video calls.

Screen only 149 dpi

speakers, probably worse than hd+

significantly heavier

Equivalent cpu, both have propietary cables, batteries equivalent. Given the screen is the most expensive component by quite a bit I would get the HD+ and after 3 months root it if not satisfied with the BN software.

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin

My reasons for choosing the HD+  were similar to yours.  My calendar/to do list/contacts etc are on my iPhone.  I'm not a gamer, so I don't really care which birds or piggies are available.  I love photography but I rave no use for a camera on a tablet--that's what my D-SLR and iPhone are for.  So it came down to reading (especially magazines) and Web.  I'm already in the Nook ecosystem via my NC.  The screen resolution and the price made it a no-brainer for me.  If people want a huge selection of apps or a camera is important to them, then something like the Galaxy Tab or the new Nexus might be the way to go for them. 

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,259
Solutions: 18

[ Edited ]

During Black Friday weekend at Costco, the Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0") is $70 off the regular price of $239 (ie, $169), and the 10.1" version is $100 off (I don't know the "regular" price on that one).

I had the 7.0" version for about a week and liked it, but I found a 2nd Acer Iconia A500/32GB used (from a good friend), and I decided that six Android devices (my phone, two Nook e-Ink readers, the Nook Tablet, and two A500s) was enough (why I need two of some, is that I use them in a critical availability application), so I returned the Galaxy.

In the (3) devices I have which have GPS, the GPS is only turned on when I am using an application that needs it.

The camera is useful for depositing checks into my bank.  Many (most?) banks offer a specialized app (in the Android Market Google Play app section) for doing this, and it is very convenient:  The app takes a picture of the front and back of the check, you press "Send", and about 15 minutes later (during banking hours), the money is in your checking account.  Works on any check with MICR account encoding.

I've gotten good service out of my Nook Tablet for the past year, but at this point I would instead unhesitatingly recommend the Galaxy Tab 2.  No more fighting B&N.

By the way, the Acer A500 is still a good deal, with a micro HDMI port, two USB ports (one slave, one host).  The supplied Acer covers initially appear flimsy, but after a year of use, they appear to be indestructable.

Nooks: 2 HD+/16GB & 2 HD/8GB: B&N 2.2.0 (Android 4.0.4) rooted;
    2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,976

In my experience with their products, Samsung devices are very poorly made. That alone makes me hesitate buying anything from them (which is incidentally why I own an HOX instead of a GNex).

I've personally found that the "hundreds of thousands of apps" in the Google Play Store aren't really too different than what I use on my NOOK. Right now my HOX has 49 apps installed, and my NHD+ has 56. There are definitely a few that would be nice to have (Fidelity, Google Play Music, my credit union's app), but I've found that the web browser and larger screen on my NHD+ is a more than passable alternative. YMMV, of course.

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Really comes down to intended use vs. expectations.

Disagree with you on the google play Flyingtoaster. As to me the high quality choices in different Ereader apps like my outstanding Moonreader+ Pro that does epub's,mobi,etc but Pdf's and Comics also. And the many Web Browsers is alone worth the trip to google play land.

Add to that I can snatch up local specific apps for local shopping,eating,news,weather.

Also google streets and Trimet bus schedule and local Library app makes for a more useful nook color.

Multiple choices for high quality games like Chess ,Reversi, puzzles, etc...

Yep there is a lot O Crap there too. But always like choices whether it's content or apps.

So after my Nook Color dies will be a more generic Android Tablet for me.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
flyingtoastr

That "YMMV" up there is the important part.

Like I said, for me personally, I've found a whopping total of three apps that the Play Store has that my NOOK HD doesn't have that I use on a consistent basis. Two of those (Fidelity and SCSFCU) I can easily access better information using the web browser, and the last (Google Play Music) is a pain but not a dealbreaker by any means.

But that is for me personally. You are going to have different needs. The OP is going to have different needs than you or I. Roustabout is going to be off on his own planet. :smileywink: Everyone is going to need and want something different in their device, which is why your mileage may vary.

bobstro

[ Edited ]

I've owned a SGT 2 7.0 for many months now, and am quite pleased. A few highlights:

• No more worrying about access to apps I want or need. Open access to the Google Play Store is refreshing. While I may not need every one of the hundreds of thousands of available apps, I am glad to be able to cherry pick the best of breed in each category according to my criteria. There may only be 2-3 apps not in the B&N store, but those are likely to be ones I care about very much. I tired of fighting B&N's limitations on my NC and NT.
  • The rear camera is very useful, IMO. I use it with Evernote to capture whiteboard sessions. I no longer need to carry a pen and paper to meetings, and I can send my notes out to my team at the end of each meeting. It's not a Leica, but it's with me, and takes good pictures of that sort.
  • The front camera is sufficient for Skype. I don't use it often, but it has proven useful on occasion.
  • 3rd party reader apps (e.g. Mantano Premium) give a lot more control over my library, incorporating both B&N and non-B&N epubs and PDFs into a common reading experience. All features are available on all content. No more handling content differently depending on where it was purchased.
  • Amazon MP3 and Google Play cloud library for music is handy, especially if I change what I want loaded while on the road.
  • Applying the "quality" argument to Samsugn is silly. Samsung produces a lot of the hardware Apple and other top-line manufacturers use. The Nexus 10, built by Samsung, is faring very well in display comparisons against Apple's lineup.
  • The screen resolution is lower than some of the newer devices. For my primary purpose -- reading -- this hardly matters. Black text on a white background doesn't look spectacularly different between devices, and I prefer a mid-sized font anyhow.
  • If you do care about movies and such, I'd wait another 3-6 months. Samsung's sure to release more devices with increased resolution. If you really care so much about video, perhaps a larger (10 inch) device is what you're after? I didn't expect my 7 inch screen to compete with my flatscreen TV.
  • The price differential between the Samsung & Google devices & B&N's has diminished considerably since the first NC was released. If you might ever want more than B&N offers, you're going to have to hope the dev community works around the roadblocks B&N puts in your way. Otherwise, you're stuck. It's a gamble. On the other hand, if you do find the B&N marketplace compelling (I do not), then a NOOK device makes sense and will give you the best experience.

The deciding factor for me was the B&N marketplace. If I don't plan on spending a lot of time in their walled garden, buying a device intended to lock me into that world makes little sense. The only NOOK device I'll consider now, after having gone through NST, NC and NTs, is an eInk device, and that only so long as no other more open alternative is available.

flyingtoastr
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

• Applying the "quality" argument to Samsugn is silly. Samsung produces a lot of the hardware Apple and other top-line manufacturers use. The Nexus 10, built by Samsung, is faring very well in display comparisons against Apple's lineup.

I never said anything about the displays. Aside from their fetish for pentile (bleh), Samsung makes very nice screens. My television is a Samsung and the picture quality is fantastic. Samsung makes the displays on the NOOK HD and HD+ too, and they're both stellar.

The problem I've had with Samsung, especially their phones, is the overall build quality of the devices. My friend who bought a GNex a few weeks ago is already having problem with the back cover popping off because it wasn't fitted correctly. Another friend dropped his GSIII from his pocket to the ground 2 feet away and the entire backplate shattered. My first Samsung TV ran into an issue where I couldn't fit an HDMI cable into the actual port because they had produced it wrong. Maybe I just keep running into lemons (which is possible), but it's made me very wary of buying anything that Samsung produced in-house.

bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

flyingtoastr wrote:

I never said anything about the displays.[...]

Not in this thread, perhaps. You have in others though. My comment was really addressing more general comments about Samusng as a manufacturer though (see below).

The problem I've had with Samsung, especially their phones, is the overall build quality of the devices. [...]

I don't doubt you at your word. They make a lot of products, and the first batches of new products tend to suffer flaws. B&N seems to be no exception to this rule (NSTG screens).

I personally have been very impressed with Samsung, to the point that they've replaced Sony as my preferred manufacturer of consumer electronics (mostly TV & video equipment). I'm reading lots of good things about the S III. Based on my sample (TV X2, tablet), I have no reservations about buying Samsung.

Apropos the subject of this thread, I have found the SGT2 7.0 to be very well built and a delight to use. Even their use of PenTile displays on the higher end devices makes sense. I want to take a look at their Note series, as it's supposed to have better displays, but I won't be in the market for a new device for several months. By then, there should be plenty of options at affordable prices.

I should also mention that Mantano Reader has no problem with B&N's DRM. I can pull down books with the B&N app, then read them using Mantano in an integrated library.

flyingtoastr
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

flyingtoastr wrote:

I never said anything about the displays.[...]

Not in this thread, perhaps. You have in others though. 

Samsung's pentile screens are utter crap (put a GNex next to an HOX or even a GSIII and you'll see what I mean). When they're not being silly though they make good displays.

And the Galaxy Tab 2 does have a vastly inferior screen compared to the current crop of devices that you could buy instead. It's an older device. It's excusable, but it is true. Also, the lamination on the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 was lacking even when it was top-of-the-line.

patgolfneb
0 Kudos

I have to chime in with toaster on this one. I see Samsung as kind of the GM of the tech world. Lots of great engineers but the bean counters and short cuts often result in products that are frustrating.  They have so many products and price niches extra care is required.

I feel their online customer support is even a step or two below BN's poor online support. I have had to contact them on issues in the past. On two occasions  I received no response. On a third I got an auto response referring me to their equivalent of this forum.  Maybe not important for small items, but this was a midlevel 47 or 48 inch lcd TV. 

bobstro
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

Samsung's pentile screens are utter crap (put a GNex next to an HOX or even a GSIII and you'll see what I mean). When they're not being silly though they make good displays.

Well now you've said something about the displays! :smileyhappy: Fair enough, displays subject to deeply personal factors. The article I referenced on PenTile makes sense (I think we crossed edits, Toaster), and as screen density increases, will probably matter less and less over time. I'm always amused when someone buys a device with the "best" screen technology, then slaps an anti-glare screen protector over it, rendering it blurry and dull.

And the Galaxy Tab 2 does have a vastly inferior screen compared to the current crop of devices that you could buy instead. It's an older device. It's excusable, but it is true. Also, the lamination on the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 was lacking even when it was top-of-the-line.

Oh, I agree that the SGT2 is not the best display. My point is that for my intended use -- mostly reading -- it makes little difference. A lot of the annoying fingerprint attraction and glare went away when I put a quality clear protector on it. I use the same brand (Skinomi) on all my devices, and the SGT2 and NT look very similar once that's on (and very nice, I might add.) I did load an app to correct the yellow bias (from the Play Store, natch.)

As I mentioned, personally, I'd wait another 3 months before buying anything today. Competition is getting fierce. 

bobstro
0 Kudos

patgolfneb wrote:

[...] I feel their online customer support is even a step or two below BN's poor online support. I have had to contact them on issues in the past. On two occasions  I received no response. On a third I got an auto response referring me to their equivalent of this forum.  Maybe not important for small items, but this was a midlevel 47 or 48 inch lcd TV. 

I had the opposite experience. I had a failed firmware upgrade on my 60 inch LCD TV and called for support, expecting to have all kinds of shipping hassles. To my surprise, they set up an in-home visit by a tech a few days later. He arrived with a new board, put on booties (to my wife's relief) and proceeded to replace the TV innards.

I do wish they made their TVs as bullet-proof as the NC in terms of firmware upgrades, but I have no complaints about their service.

patgolfneb
0 Kudos

I was specifying online support, e mail responses. I was able to address my issues, but was unable to avoid the usual phone waiting and transter your call stuff endemic in todays world. In general companies use our time as if it has no value. My Samsung experiences have been among the worst in that regard. FWIW my TV was shipped with the wrong stand and the tuner was flashed with the set up for a model with less features. The screen itself was fine. Fortunately as a wi fi model the correction was simple and the correct stand came in about one week.

bobstro
0 Kudos

patgolfneb wrote:

I was specifying online support, e mail responses. [...]

Gotcha. When I had my problem, I checked online and was directed to a toll-free number to call.

I think I'd put telephonic support in a "glass houses" category when comparing Samsung and B&N in any case.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Jeremy,

I think the biggest thing against the Nook is that the range of apps isn't very large.

As other people have pointed out - you need to figure out your list of Must Have apps and see which aren't available for Nook.

Nook Software issues will gradually get resolved. Store and Range of Apps will also grow over time.

However, it might not (probably will not) ever be as good as Android Market.

On the other hand the screen is very good and the build quality will perhaps be better than a Samsung Tablet.

It's a tough decision.

What are your 5 most frequent uses for a Tablet?

If it's mostly things like surfing the web and reading and movies then you need to consider the impact of the better screen and better pixel density of HD+.

If it's mostly things like games and apps then Android Market will be far ahead of Nook Store for at least the next 2-3 years.

bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

5ivedom wrote:

[...] If it's mostly things like surfing the web and reading and movies then you need to consider the impact of the better screen and better pixel density of HD+.

If those are the biggest factors, and a larger device is already under consideration, doesn't the 2560x1600 resolution of the Nexus 10 need to be compared to the 1920x1280 of the HD+? Jeremy didn't mention cost, so I'm not how much of a factor that is, but if I were a movie fanatic, what makes the HD+ good makes the Nexus 10 better in that regard.