Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Re: Why the NHD+ and not Galaxy Tab 2?

bobstro wrote:

5ivedom wrote:

[...] If it's mostly things like surfing the web and reading and movies then you need to consider the impact of the better screen and better pixel density of HD+.

If those are the biggest factors, and a larger device is already under consideration, doesn't the 2560x1600 resolution of the Nexus 10 need to be compared to the 1920x1280 of the HD+? Jeremy didn't mention cost, so I'm not how much of a factor that is, but if I were a movie fanatic, what makes the HD+ good makes the Nexus 10 better in that regard.

Isn't the Nexus considerably more expensive? I thought the comparison was with the similarly priced Tab?

bobstro
0 Kudos

Jeremy didn't specify cost, nor size, IIRC. Cost-wise, there's a similar increase between the SGT 2 7.0 and HD+ as between the HD+ and Nexus 10 (Samsung innards). The SGT 2 10 is pretty well superseded by the Nexus 10.
DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,247
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

If those are the biggest factors, and a larger device is already under consideration, doesn't the 2560x1600 resolution of the Nexus 10 need to be compared to the 1920x1280 of the HD+? Jeremy didn't mention cost, so I'm not how much of a factor that is, but if I were a movie fanatic, what makes the HD+ good makes the Nexus 10 better in that regard.

Are any movies delivered in a digital resolution greater than 1920x1080 ???

If not, I'm not sure how much good a higher resolution screen does for movies.  Granted, there is some advantage from upscaling, but upscaling still has its limits.  My Gone with the Wind  BluRay disc still appears fuzzy on my 1920x1080p TV ...

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Wordsmith
JinSC
0 Kudos

Thanks for all the info and opionions. folks. 

While price wasn't the only issue, the question for me was:  In a comparable price range were there Android tablets with better screens, more options, more inputs/ouputs, etc, such that buying an HD+ as not the best deal out there?  Many of you have pointed out, correctly I think, that the apps desired do make a difference.  If those can be found in B&N's mini-Market, then that issue is not the deciding one. 

You know...if my NC would run Hulu+ in stock OS I'd probably be happy.  If i felt like battling the madding crowd I'd go to Walmart tonight and get an NT for $99. 

A couple of gripes about the HD/HD+.  I bought an NC within a month of their coming out.  I suffered through the upgrades, hoping they would fix the things we complained about.  I rejoiced when they fixed it so that you could touch the battery icon and then see your battery percentage.  I exulted when they let us set the orientation within a book without having to change the global setting.  i relished learing how to backswipe.  So.....

WHY AREN'T THESE FEATURES ON THE HD/HD+?

It's like we've taken a step back.  We lost features people really liked.

Again, my thanks for all the insights!

Jeremy

Bibliophile
5ivedom

Jeremy, for this:

I rejoiced when they fixed it so that you could touch the battery icon and then see your battery percentage. 

WHY AREN'T THESE FEATURES ON THE HD/HD+?

Just get our free Battery Tracker App for Nook HD/HD+. Track Your Battery Life &...

Disclaimer: It is not optimized for HD and HD+. So  only the Battery Percentage icon will work.

It shows you an icon with the battery percentage right in the bar. So you don't even have to touch anything. It shows the percentage left in the status bar. And if you touch it, it'll show approximate hours of use left.

Contributor
skipped

1- Nook HD+ screen has a lot more ppi (better for reading)

2- Nook HD+ has no air gap, laminated screen and higher brightness..

3- Nook HD+ is very light

The rest is about the same, because there is a way you can sideload apps from google play..

Wordsmith
JinSC
0 Kudos

5ivedeom,

thanks for the app link.  Added it to my NC.  did you develop this app?  do you work for B&N or independently? 

Thanks,

Jeremy

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

We work independently. We make apps for Nook Store and other stores like Windows 8 and Android.

This app is our own. It's just free as part of a seasonal sale.

Wordsmith
LectorGS
0 Kudos

@5ivedom,

The battery life app works like a charm.  Thanks for developping it.

Lector GS
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

You're welcome Lector. Great to know it works for you.

Inspired Wordsmith
taosaur

What sold me on the HD+ was the same thing that sold me on the Nook Color: best screen for the money at the time. As with the Nook Color when it released, the screen quality is competetive with the highest-end tablets in the market, but at half the price and with no crippling compromises under the hood. I wouldn't have pulled the trigger if folks at XDA hadn't come up with a reproducible (though rather involved) method to enable Google Play, but now that I have the HD+ in my hands, I could kind of see getting along with just stock. I only dealt with the 2.0 firmware in the display models at Target (before I got them all online and updated), but on 2.0.2 the web browser is snappy and the reader is quite solid. I already get all my e-magazines from B&N (about the only thing I get from them) and otherwise the stock reader found the EPUBs on my SD just fine. CBZs have to be opened individually to get them in the library and CBRs have to be converted to CBZs on a PC, but those aren't massive hurdles. The UI is intuitive and responsive. If the stock launcher would recognize my Google Play apps, I would be using it as my default.

The way I see it, the only comparable alternative to the HD+ is an iPad 3 or 4. If the screen isn't a priority, any Android tablet will do, and if apps are a priority, no Android tablet can stand up to iOS. If you want the worst of both worlds, I suppose there's also Amazon. 

Bibliophile
5ivedom

Taosaur I feel the same as you.

Only iPad 3 or 4 compare screen wise. And screen affects almost everything.

The other Android Tablets are decent but not as good as Nook HD. They do have certain advantages of their won.

App Store only iStore is good. Android App Store doesn't have as many choices. The good ones are coming to Nook Store slowly.

Of course, playing games is like my #10 priority/use case. So perhaps for people who are games focused and love that Android has lots of ad-supported free games, for them Android is probably above iPad and Nook.

Reader 2
mcgruber

I'd go with an alternate device. I bought the Nook HD+ because of the HDMI outlet. However, since I can't use any of the apps I would like to use stream video (HBO Go) or music I wouldn't use it anyway.

I wanted to do some simple calculations and went to the B&N app store to look for a calculator and found I needed to pay $1 for that app. Really?

It's probably fine if you've never owned a smartphone to know what a real app store should look like, but if you have, you'll be nothing but dissapointed. I can see why B&N wants to protect themselves, but to go out of their way to lock this device down is quite annoying.

Inspired Wordsmith
taosaur
0 Kudos

mcgruber wrote:

However, since I can't use any of the apps I would like to use stream video (HBO Go)

Maybe if your top priority was a notoriously limited proprietary service, you should have googled one more time before buying the device? 

Honestly, if your top priority is anything other than intensely visual media that would otherwise be consumed on wood pulp (e.g. magazines, comics, kids' books and maybe textbooks, artbooks, and/or coffee table books), the bookstore-branded tablets are probably not for you. Video is a great bonus, but you're talking about using your budget tablet as a HTPC, and while it's halfway viable with these devices, there are all kinds of things wrong with that. 

bobstro

[ Edited ]

taosaur wrote:

[...] Maybe if your top priority was a notoriously limited proprietary service, you should have googled one more time before buying the device? 

I think that was mcgruber's point when he wrote: "I'd go with an alternate device." Lessons learned and all that. Any potential buyer should be aware of what apps they want to use, and which are offered in the B&N store before pulling the trigger on buying one of their devices.

With the options available today, there's little reason to buy a B&N device solely for reasons of economy, unlike a couple of years ago when the NC was first released. If you're happy with what B&N offers and know the story going in, go B&N. They have a nice ecosystem for what they offer.

On the other hand, if you want more, or you don't find the B&N ecosystem (multimedia magazines, enhanced ebooks, read-in-store) compelling, definitely look at another device. The B&N-centric features will probably just frustrate you. There are good options at competitive prices, and you can still access B&N ebook content, for the most part.

Inspired Wordsmith
taosaur
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:
With the options available today, there's little reason to buy a B&N device solely for reasons of economy, unlike a couple of years ago when the NC was first released. If you're happy with what B&N offers and know the story going in, go B&N. They have a nice ecosystem for what they offer.

On the other hand, if you want more, or you don't find the B&N ecosystem (multimedia magazines, enhanced ebooks, read-in-store) compelling, definitely look at another device. The B&N-centric features will probably just frustrate you. There are good options at competitive prices, and you can still access B&N ebook content, for the most part.

Agreed on all points, although I think the HD+ also hits a sweet spot similar to the Nook Color for those of us who assume the stock software on any device will be at best inadequate and quite likely offensive. B&N left the backdoor open for installing Android apps via ADB, even if they did make it decidely non-trivial to get an alternate app store or any kind of system app on there. 

For mcgruber's purposes, Amazon's big tablet would be the better way to go: HDMI with no adapter and HBO Go in the app store. For me, being able to migrate my apps and media via root, Titanium Backup, Google Play and microSD was a much bigger pro. As long as the UI was sufficiently responsive, the local "ecosystem" on the device was hardly a consideration.

As someone who doesn't accept the "out of the box" experience on anything, though, I have to say the HD+ OoB is not bad. I would have found it perfectly useable for my purposes (if requiring greater adjustment) with just the stock options. I'm still sticking with the stock web browser, for the first time on any mobile device since pre-Java cell phones. For that matter, I've stuck with the stock reader over Mantano for the most part, too, though not over Perfect Viewer for comics. The app store is still (and probably always) pretty sad, but nearly all my needs are met by the preinstalled apps. About the only thing I would install is the free file explorer. 

If movies and music are higher priorities than former print media, the Kindle tablet with its superior speakers and streaming options is probably the way to go. Of course, if non-streaming movies and music are sufficiently high priorities, the HD+'s expandable storage might bring you back around. I personally wouldn't even consider something with a standard-def screen like the SGT2, just because I already have an adequate device of that sort in the Nook Color.

Reader 2
mcgruber
0 Kudos

I actually bought this for my wife for her birthday. I tried my best to get into the B&N store but when I went there was no one there to help me, when I went to Best Buy they didn't even have the HD+, and the nooks they did have wouldn't let you explore their app store. The only devices that have an HDMI output are the Kindle Fire and the Nook HD+, so those were our options for plugging into our TV easily. It wasn't the only priority, but it was a nice bonus. Again, this is for my wife, and she doesn't have a smart phone, so this is a great beginning device for her, and she seems quite happy with it. However, if I were going to buy a device for myself, this wouldn't be it; unless I can figure out how to side-load apps. However, I'm not a programmer, so this will take some time for me to figure out, or I'll have to wait until I can buy an SD card or something like you can do with the Nook tablet.
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

mcgruber wrote:
I actually bought this for my wife for her birthday. I tried my best to get into the B&N store but when I went there was no one there to help me, when I went to Best Buy they didn't even have the HD+, and the nooks they did have wouldn't let you explore their app store. The only devices that have an HDMI output are the Kindle Fire and the Nook HD+, so those were our options for plugging into our TV easily. It wasn't the only priority, but it was a nice bonus. Again, this is for my wife, and she doesn't have a smart phone, so this is a great beginning device for her, and she seems quite happy with it. However, if I were going to buy a device for myself, this wouldn't be it; unless I can figure out how to side-load apps. However, I'm not a programmer, so this will take some time for me to figure out, or I'll have to wait until I can buy an SD card or something like you can do with the Nook tablet.

Since this seems important to you, you should know that HBO Go can't be streamed to your TV through the HDMI out port on any Android mobile device. You can't stream it through AirPlay on IOS either.  HBO disabled it.  There are some people saying it can be done with a Playbook, but I don't know for sure.

Frequent Contributor
kevinp
0 Kudos

The two main things I do with my Nook Tablet are watching movies and reading magazines.I've ordered the HD+, but I haven't got it yet.

For watching movies, I insist on having an SD card slot. And I hear this screen can't be beat (at this price) for reading magazines.

It sucks that the apps I bought on my Android phone, I'm supposed to buy all over again for my Nook. My Olive Tree Bible program keeps track of their customers in their own database, so I only have to install the free version on my Nook and then download all my paid stuff onto it. Kudos to them for that!

GT2 has a lesser screen and costs more. I ordered my HD+ on Cyber Monday and got $40 off. Pretty easy choice for me. Now, if it would just arrive on my doorstep...

Reader 2
mcgruber
0 Kudos

I've streamed it through my computer to my TV via HDMI, so I just figured I'd be able to do that through the HDMI port from the Nook...I'm also assuming the HDMI port just copies the screen from the nook onto the TV, but since I've not tried it I may be wrong on that as well. HBO go was just really an example, other online shows from ABC, CBS, etc. would be nice too...

It seems like I just need to be able to sideload these programs, and it's just going to take me time to figure it out. However, if you don't really know what you're doing (like me) than there are a lot of hoops to jump through and questionable sources of information telling you how to root, sideload, etc. on your nook. It's just something to consider...