New User
goldenmeadow
0 Kudos

Why there are so many refurbished NC???

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone!

I have Acer A500 tablet (actually it's my daughter's :smileyhappy: but she let's me use it sometimes)

and I'm looking for another one.

My buddy has NC and really happy with it. I started searching and found that BestBuy and Walmart have refurbished NC for $150.

My question is: why there are so many refurbished units out there? As I understand, they might be simple returns OR something was WRONG with them and B&N fixed them to resell. But if something was wrong already, how do I know that it's REALLY fixed.

Just curious.

Thanks for replies in advance!

Scribe
dfehling
0 Kudos

Re: Why there are so many refurbished NC???

I suspect that they aren't really refurbished but original inventory they are just lowering the price on to sell quickly. Do they come in an original box with all the accessories? The "certified preowned" ones from B&N do. http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/certified-pre-owned-nookcolor/379002680/. This is why I think they aren't really "used".

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Attributed to Groucho Marx
Correspondent
tuck229
0 Kudos

I bought three refurb Nook Colors. One for myself and two for my 12 and 14 year old sons. Two looked brand new and in perfect condition. The one I kept for myself was in perfect working order but held at certain angles in the light you can see on the grey casing where it had been slid in and out of a case/cover. Many of the refurbs are simply returned devices but some are repaired items. With a one year warranty and the same support, does it really matter though? Moxt refurb electronics come with a 60 or 90 day warranty, so B&N really offers a sweet deal on their refurb devices.
Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas
0 Kudos

The refurbished units are probably perfectly OK.  My guess is that most of them were returned to B&N because they were broken, then were reconditioned, and are now considered working and so suitable for sale.  If you buy one, my advice is to buy the longest, most powerful warranty you can possibly get for it, just in case the one you buy is one whose problem isn't really fixed yet.  I don't think it's likely you will end up with one like that, but why take that kind of chance?  After all, this is somewhat new technology here, so there are bound to be some bugs!

And let us know how it works out!

Jeff

Wordsmith
Serendip
0 Kudos

My first Nook, the N1E, I bought refurbished, and was completely pristine. If they hadn't told me it was a refurb, I wouldn't have known.

People return things for all sorts of reasons, boxes get opened in stores, things happen. And yeah, some are returned for problems, and are fixed. They come with a warranty, so if there is something wrong, you would be covered for the length of the warranty - that's what you really need to check.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Also,. there is a population of folks who cannot connect their NCs to their home networks.  Most of those issues have been ironed out, but as recently as this week I had a comment on my blog from someone who could not connect to a Linksys router using his preferred security settings. 

Many folks who landed in that boat will simply have returned the device to BN and for most potential owners, the device will work fine. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
New User
Speculator
0 Kudos

I just bought a Nook Color and Simple Touch combo on eBay a couple of days ago. Last time I checked, more than 5000 units were sold. I seriously doubt that so many were returned for repairs. I guess B&N is just calling brand new items refurbs for a quick sale. Maybe they don't want to hurt the feelings for buyers who paid full price.

Inspired Contributor
RucknRun
0 Kudos

They started selling refurbished Kindle fires.  That was quick.  They must have problems.

Frequent Contributor
kayokat
0 Kudos

I bought my Nook Color when they first came out.  There were many, many problems with them.  One of the most frustrating was the fact that they would lose sound and have to be rebooted to get it back.  BN suggested you return the unit for a replacement.  That was just one problem - there were a lot of other problems, too.  It doesn't surprise me that they have so many refurbished units available.  

Just an opinion.

Inspired Contributor
RucknRun
0 Kudos

There were a lot of issues.  I was lucky and didn't have any problems with mine.  I got it right at launch and I have been very happy with it. 

Inspired Contributor
BonRuth
0 Kudos

Look how many people in these forums have commented on the poor quality of the cable.  Maybe this has been resolved but it was a deafening roar for awhile and I had to repace several cables myself. The first time they asked me to return the NOOK and I did.  Two times after that, I recognized the proboem and asked only for a new cable.  How many people sent back the whole NOOK when it was just a cable issue?

Also, I bought refurbished NOOKS "all around" for friends and family and they always come in a very nice, but different from new, box.

Having said all that, I still think they may be flushing inventory in anticipation of a clearance on the Color and the touch.

Inspired Wordsmith
MatthewH
0 Kudos

I think they want to a Nook, any Nook, into the hand of as many people as possible as fast as they can because it's all about the content anyway. I am currently using a refurb NC that was a warranty replacement for one that had a hardware failure (oddly enough, it wasn't a cable failure or any of the other common failure modes mentioned on these forums, it was an Ethernet hardware issue). They handled it quite well: I took the failed NC to my local BN store, where one of their Nook people determined that it was a hardware failure and said "call the 800 number to authorize a warranty replacement, tell them you've already had me look at it, etc., we do have a refurb unit here in the store..." So I called from my car, and the tech support guy on the phone says, "yes, we have a replacement available at a store in North Haven, CT, do you need directions to that store?" He laughed when I replied, "I'm calling you from the parking lot of that store!" They even gave me a BN gift card for the price difference between new and refurb NC. This is exactly why I chose BN over Kindle: I had my replacement in a few minutes rather than having to wait for shipment as would have been the case with Amazon.
Remember: the big print giveth, the small print taketh away.