Reader 4
mrobinson1201

Why??

I am an educated technical person.  I have had my nook first edition since the day they were available.  I have been purchasing books for my nook since then.  Tonight I wanted to buy my new reader a couple of books.  I went to the kids books section on B&N.  She picked out 2 books.  Now I looked very carefully to make sure they weren't for nook color.  There was nothing on the page that said anything about Nook color.  But...  they are only for nook color.  Of course I didn't know that until after I paid for them.   I called B&N and they told me that there is a tiny little question mark that you can click on to find that out.  so on the far right of the page I see: " Available on NOOK devices and apps"  then to the right of that was the question mark.  Why would I question that statement?  Why would this information be hidden?  yes I am getting a refund, but I don't understand why this is not stated clearly.  I am a software developer.  the code to put the ? with the message box - is more work than "Not compatible for Nook first Edition"

1.png

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Re: Why??

They probably don't want to take up the space on the page to list every device it's compatible with. Lots of companies are like that.
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
GDJ
Inspired Contributor
GDJ
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Every book I have purchased has been compatible with my device, a NC. I would never even have known to check nor would I have if I had seen that note. Glad you got a refund.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

My understanding was that not this page but the confirmation dialog lists exactly which Nooks are supported. Do you see this information on the confirmation dialog or not?

In any case, the product page should list this clearly.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

This is one of the reasons I suggest always buying from the device itself, you'll only see the books that will work on your Nook. 

General rule of thumb- kids books, especially picture books, will not work on any device aside from NC, NT, HD/+.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Wordsmith
PlanetGreen
0 Kudos

Because.

mrobinson1201 wrote:

I am an educated technical person.  I have had my nook first edition since the day they were available.  I have been purchasing books for my nook since then.  Tonight I wanted to buy my new reader a couple of books.  I went to the kids books section on B&N.  She picked out 2 books.  Now I looked very carefully to make sure they weren't for nook color.  There was nothing on the page that said anything about Nook color.  But...  they are only for nook color.  Of course I didn't know that until after I paid for them.   I called B&N and they told me that there is a tiny little question mark that you can click on to find that out.  so on the far right of the page I see: " Available on NOOK devices and apps"  then to the right of that was the question mark.  Why would I question that statement?  Why would this information be hidden?  yes I am getting a refund, but I don't understand why this is not stated clearly.  I am a software developer.  the code to put the ? with the message box - is more work than "Not compatible for Nook first Edition"

1.png

I'm sorry, but there is a double confirmation, after you click the 'buy now' button another box shows up - "this is for Nook HD, color, etc"

ARE YOU SURE YOU HAVE THE CORRECT DEVICE

Plus, you can click the question mark.

tumblr_mdibv0MrKI1rfemv3o1_1280.png

It's a small world afterall except when your far away.
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: Because.

I have never, ever, ever seen a second box.  Ever.

Wordsmith
PlanetGreen
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Yep."you are about to buy..." however it may not list compatability (books) it does with apps. Couple times it told me I won't be able to use it, do I want to proceed anyhow.
bobstro

The topic was books, right?

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

ePub shouldn't be a problem... But is the subject a "book" or an "app" claiming to be a book?

Based on the description matching the quoted page, this is a photo intensive item and unlikely to work on anything without a color display -- if not limited to the most recent HD/+ line.

Baron Wulfraed
Wordsmith
PlanetGreen
0 Kudos

Books?

bobstro wrote:

The topic was books, right?

Regrettably.

Moral, just click the dam question mark.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

Re: So...

Yeah.... the info is there IF you know to look for it. Agree with the OP, it would be easier on both customers and B&N if it "Not compatible on all devices" was clearly visibile, rather than the "?". 

It's one of those, once burned, twice shy situations.  Now the OP will compulsively check prior to purchasing anything.  And how many refunds has B&N had to process because of this?  And how much money has it cost them in support time to do this?  What MG said about purchasing directly from your device holds true ONLY IF you have one device; as soon as you expand from an NST to a HD+, you run right back into the issue (where you have to check the web page for compatibility.)  Displaying the info this way introduces unnecessary friction to purchasing content which in the long run, is not in B&N's best interest.

And yes, feel that they should do the same thing with magazines too! (bobstro, I said it for you.  I know you wanted to! :smileywink:)

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Re: So...

And another thing...

From the website today, if you go to NookBooks, and then Nook Kids (left hand side, under subjects), about half way down the page, they are currently advertising "Diary of a Wimpy Kids" books.  Just to the left, there is currently 3 devices displayed.  One of them appears to be an NST.  But these are PagePerfect books, and these ones anyway aren't currently available to the NST.  It is very misleading/confusing. 

Contributor
Sue_D_Nim

mrobinson1201 wrote:

Why would this information be hidden?  yes I am getting a refund, but I don't understand why this is not stated clearly. 

" ...You hadn't exactly gone out of your way to call attention to them had you? I mean like actually telling anyone or anything."

"But the plans were on display..."

"On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them."

"That's the display department."

"With a torch."

"Ah, well the lights had probably gone."

"So had the stairs."

"But look you found the notice didn't you?"

"Yes," said Arthur, "yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying Beware of the Leopard."

RHWright

Regarding

The Hobbit  

While I agree the compatibility issue could be clearer, there are a couple things that make me lean to the B&N side on this one.

1) NOOK 1st Edition is a discontinued and no longer officially supported device. While some backwards compatibility is naturally expected for files as simple as epub, it's not guaranteed.

2) Tip off #1 on the product page - this is a NOOK Kids title. All NOOK Kids titles are only compatible with color devices. This is not exactly a new innovation and has been true of all NOOK Kids titles since they were introduced with the rollout of NOOK Color in 2010 (almost 3 years ago).

3) Given the device-specific limitations on heavily color/photographic books/magazines since the NC intro, I have always checked compatibility. The description says "Packed with photos." That should have been tip off #2. Not saying this is your fault, just that it's a good practice and saves frustrations and hassles.

4) They gave the money back.

So, while disappointing and frustrating, I don't see this as a major problem in general. I agree it would be better for B&N to add a flag before purchase that an account has no compatible devices registered (or words to that effect). It would save more hassles all around, I'm sure.

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

... I agree it would be better for B&N to add a flag before purchase that an account has no compatible devices registered (or words to that effect). It would save more hassles all around, I'm sure.

Not really an option, since many such books can be read with no problem on the Nook apps for iPad, Android or PC, and I doubt they track who has those.  I've downloaded magazines to those devices that cannot be read on any Nook I own.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

RHWright wrote:

Regarding

The Hobbit  

While I agree the compatibility issue could be clearer, there are a couple things that make me lean to the B&N side on this one.

1) NOOK 1st Edition is a discontinued and no longer officially supported device. While some backwards compatibility is naturally expected for files as simple as epub, it's not guaranteed.

2) Tip off #1 on the product page - this is a NOOK Kids title. All NOOK Kids titles are only compatible with color devices. This is not exactly a new innovation and has been true of all NOOK Kids titles since they were introduced with the rollout of NOOK Color in 2010 (almost 3 years ago).

3) Given the device-specific limitations on heavily color/photographic books/magazines since the NC intro, I have always checked compatibility. The description says "Packed with photos." That should have been tip off #2. Not saying this is your fault, just that it's a good practice and saves frustrations and hassles.

4) They gave the money back.

So, while disappointing and frustrating, I don't see this as a major problem in general. I agree it would be better for B&N to add a flag before purchase that an account has no compatible devices registered (or words to that effect). It would save more hassles all around, I'm sure.

Agree with you in this particular instance.  The OP got their money back.

But if Nook for Kids books only works on the tablet type devices, B&N should take the photo of the NST off the Nook for kids web page.  Putting a photo of that device on that page IMPLIES that the books work on that device.  (Remember the photos of the NC showing that you could read in landscape mode, when at that time, you couldn't. A number of people bought that device thinking you could hold it that way, for physical reasons needed to hold it that way, and were very ticked off when they found out you couldn't read that way.)