Reader 2
juanita48
0 Kudos

Wi-fi, and apps

I live in a very rural area, and I don't really want to buy wi-fi for my home.(Our town has less than 200 people, and we have either satellite TV or antenna...)  I take my nook with me once a month or so to a place that has wi-fi.  However, are we going to be able to download the apps at some point in time, like we are able to shop for them through our computer Nook application?  Much like we do now for our books? Or online download? I don't see a need for me to buy wi-fi just for my nook color. I was just interested in knowing if at some point they were going to make the applications as easily accessible as their collections of books are. 

Thanks very much, if anyone may know any answers..

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

Re: Wi-fi, and apps

juanita48 wrote:

I live in a very rural area, and I don't really want to buy wi-fi for my home.(Our town has less than 200 people, and we have either satellite TV or antenna...)  I take my nook with me once a month or so to a place that has wi-fi.  However, are we going to be able to download the apps at some point in time, like we are able to shop for them through our computer Nook application?  Much like we do now for our books? Or online download? I don't see a need for me to buy wi-fi just for my nook color. I was just interested in knowing if at some point they were going to make the applications as easily accessible as their collections of books are. 

Thanks very much, if anyone may know any answers..

Someone else might know more, but I have not heard/read anything from B&N yet about making the apps available through the computer. 

I would like them to be for that is how I prefer to shop and I have read that other people would also like to shop via their computer too.

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Contributor
jaspereira
0 Kudos

That would be nice to me as well, because I live outside US and can't download any apps at all.

If apps were availabel through the website, for example, I can ask a friend inside the US to buy them for me, through my account, so I can download them through the NC. It works well with eBooks...

Well, I think all should e-mail BN, through Customer Support, suggesting this possibility... I did it, already...

Wordsmith
mariel9898
0 Kudos

You can get a wireless router for $30 or less. It's a good investment if you have any WiFi devices such as any smartphones - you can use the WiFi in your home to cut down on your data plan. When people visit and have laptops or other WiFi devices they can use them instead of using your computer. That is a big plus for me and at my parents house as it keeps certain people like my hacker cousins or my aunt who downloads anything and everything from wreaking havoc on our equipment.

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

mariel9898 wrote:

You can get a wireless router for $30 or less. It's a good investment if you have any WiFi devices such as any smartphones - you can use the WiFi in your home to cut down on your data plan. When people visit and have laptops or other WiFi devices they can use them instead of using your computer. That is a big plus for me and at my parents house as it keeps certain people like my hacker cousins or my aunt who downloads anything and everything from wreaking havoc on our equipment.

I can soo sympathize with you on that.:smileytongue:

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Inspired Wordsmith
sandie52
0 Kudos

mariel9898 wrote:

I think the OP probably does not have high speed internet to hook a WIFI to.

Reader 2
juanita48
0 Kudos

All suggestions are awesome Thank you!   And Yes, I have Broadband, high speed access.  I don't have CABLE acess though, I have telephone, highspeed, and finding a router to work with a telephone line isn't as easy as using the cable I'm finding out.  However, I digress.  I just wanted someone to know that after all this time of having my NC, I'm still delighted in it's functionality, and am so happy I bought it.  Thanks for the words of encouragement and ideas, it was very helpful!

Have a great St. Pats day, 2012!

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

juanita48 wrote:

All suggestions are awesome Thank you!   And Yes, I have Broadband, high speed access.  I don't have CABLE acess though, I have telephone, highspeed, and finding a router to work with a telephone line isn't as easy as using the cable I'm finding out.

It ought to be easy if you have any kind of modem that connects to your PC with an ethernet cord.Its only tricky if it connects to the PC by a built in card without an ethernet-out plug.

If it is either an external model with an ethernet port, get a Wifi + ethernet router that takes an ethernet input, plug that into a DSL or whatever modem, and plug the computer ethernet into that. In fact, while we have cable "broadband", that's exactly how we have our WiFi set up: the PC downstairs and the netbook in the living room are connected directly by ethernet, and the Nook Color, my mom's iPad, and my Roku box, are all connected via WiFi.

I see a Belkin that does that at the Staples site for $23.

If its an internal PC card with an ethernet out port, you can just plug a WiFi-only router that takes an ethernet input, but I'd get one that's also an ethernet hub anyway.