Inspired Correspondent
japerry

Wishlist for version 1.5

I guess I'll get the ball rolling on this one :smileyhappy:

I. Fix the "N" button issue! It's mechanical which means it has a finite lifespan vs. a touch or swipe.

2. Don't break ADE. Having to register a new device put lots of us (me included) over the maximum device allowance.

Please feel free to add to the list!

Owner of a Nook Color and a Nook Simple Touch

My First Short Story
Contributor
CrazyforBuckeyes
0 Kudos

Re: Wishlist for version 1.5

How about make it consistent with the Nook Tablet - Gingerbread instead of Froyo . . . 

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook

I think the fact it is on Froyo tells you something about the future of the NC OS.  It won't be keeping up with the Joneses.

So let's add to the wish list the wish that there even is a 1.5

Wordsmith
mbratch

• Ability in the Email app to either (a) select all items in my current list with one command/button, or (b) empty trash with one command/button.
  • Word/phrase context menu in magazines, like it is in eBooks and PDFs (touch/hold a word and get a menu for find, lookup, etc). Along with that, ability to swipe/select the text
  • In any of the materials, when swiping a phrase, then getting context menu, the "find" or "lookup" should lookup the whole phrase. In version 1.3, it just does the first word. I haven't tried it yet in 1.4 so not sure they fixed it yet.
  • A resync button for the Contacts app. Right now in 1.4.1, I have to unlink then relink my Google account to refresh the contacts if I change them on Google. In addition, I'd like the ability to edit and categorize the contacts on the NC like I can do online.
  • A "backup to PC" or "sync with PC" to save personal settings (shelves, sideloaded material) in the event of need to re-reg the unit. This would avoid having to do all the resetup by hand. Since support seems to offer un-reg, re-reg so often as a problem work-around, I think this feature would be a nice consolation. :smileywink:
Contributor
sandystarr28
0 Kudos

...After four versions, I'm still looking for a descent calendar app. I'd still like some way to mark the books I have already assigned to a shelf. Also, along those lines, some way to mark which books I've read, and when.
Correspondent
TelSC
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

CrazyforBuckeyes wrote:

How about make it consistent with the Nook Tablet - Gingerbread instead of Froyo . . . 

If they did that, I'm afraid they'd break rooting and make it another crippled, almost tablet.

Stop Calling It A Tablet
Scribe
dfehling
0 Kudos

mbratch wrote:
  • In any of the materials, when swiping a phrase, then getting context menu, the "find" or "lookup" should lookup the whole phrase. In version 1.3, it just does the first word. I haven't tried it yet in 1.4 so not sure they fixed it yet.

They did add this feature in NookBook in 1.4.1 (don't know about other materials). I am really happy about this addition - it is something I will use a lot.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Attributed to Groucho Marx
Reader 2
gvortiz

My wishlist (please let me know if it's already a feature and transfer your knowledge)

*Ability to setup landscape mode as 1 or 2 page view, regardless of text size.

*Ability to copy and paste.

*Return the swipe for menu option, maybe include in settings for those that like pressing the n button.

Love my Color Nook!!! New Year's Resolution: read more books in 2011!
Inspired Correspondent
CharFL

adding to the list:

make PDF covers accessible rather than grey brick covers for PDF docs.

Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

sandystarr28 wrote:
...After four versions, I'm still looking for a descent calendar app. I'd still like some way to mark the books I have already assigned to a shelf. Also, along those lines, some way to mark which books I've read, and when.

Since I started using Google Calendar, I find the web browser access isn't bad. But I also think it would be nice if there were a dedicated calendar app that sync'ed with Google Calendar, and have it be integrated with the NC so I get notifications, etc.

Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

dfehling wrote:

mbratch wrote:

They did add this feature in NookBook in 1.4.1 (don't know about other materials). I am really happy about this addition - it is something I will use a lot.

Hey, yeah, I should have checked this one before listing it. Thanks! And I did check it with PDF and it works there as well.

I would still like to see the word/phrase context menu in magazines. :smileyhappy:

New User
Scotti_LeeMarie
0 Kudos

Are you able to fix it so that if you purchase a book on your PC that is on your Tablet wishlist that it also is removeable from the wishlist? This drives me nuts!
Contributor
milik
0 Kudos

Ok here my list : 1- It's VERY important to fix this damned app installing problem. I have been chatting with experts on site and they told me they will fix it in new update. Apps are being downloaded but not finishing the installing, it downloads again and again. 2- Other app problem is, most app i have archived can't be installed again. Fix it too! 3- I want to look up words meaning in different languages. I want to buy built-in dictionary. Let us buy. Different apps annoying on reading. 4- Make a new browser. Nook browser is better than others but it has no tab. If you make a browser with tab that will be great. If there is a browser without tab its only nook one. 5- I want basic apps! Youtube app, Google maps, Facebook, WhatsApp and others. Talk to developers and make them add their apps. There is no youtube similar app, develope it. 6- Let me change keyboard. Turkish keyboard i need. 7- Fix the power off problem. I think you should make a power off symbol so we can tap, and confirming necessary. This button doesnt work most of times. 8- Let us install apps to SD Card, this will fix many problems. 9- n button is being used too much in this version 1.4.3 . I hope its strong enough, otherwise get back our other symbol. 10- Add some racing apps . Like Raging Thunder 2. Or Asphalt 5. You should connect with developers. Or develop your own apps. Thanks!
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

1) The fix for installing problem is to archive apps that you are not using. Then restart Nook.

Permanent Fix - Go to B&N store and have your Nook Color drive repartitioned.

2) Same as for 1.

10. Racing Apps - Asphalt 7 is available in store. There are also other raching games available.

Good list of points - Hopefully B&N fixes them.

Contributor
milik
0 Kudos

Thanks for answering. About my list :

1. I tried your first solution many times and i tried other solutions but it didn't work.I just couldn't try that permanent fix. It may work. But i am not in USA now. I am at Turkey and i suppose i need to do repartition by myself, or just wait for new update. It's actually interesting. I deregistered my NC and reregistered it, aftewards it worked  i could download and it installed some apps, but after one hour it started again not to install. So, i use apps and play games and when i get bored of my games and apps i do the same process again (deregister and reregister) and download different apps in one hour as i can.

10. Racing apps are most fun games on a tilt device. But unfortunately there are few racing games on B&N Market. Yes i saw Asphalt 7 unfortunately it's for Nook HD+/HD, not for Nook Color. I thought if NC can't run Asphalt 7 maybe it can run Asphalt 5 or llower versions.

Thanks again for reading my list! I hope they fix some things. 

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

It's strange they don't have Asphalt 7 for Nook Color.

Not sure why the Archiving thing wouldn't work for you.

Just go to your Settings > Device Information page and let us know what it shows for

B&N Content Storage

Other Content Storage.

What's in those two rows?

Nook needs a restart to realize that apps have been archived. KEep that in mind. If you don't restart it won't be able to tell that there is now free space.

Contributor
milik
0 Kudos

Yes Asphalt 7 would be great. Archiving unarchiving, restarting, none of them works for me. It just downloads it and writes instaliing under tge symbol and it starts downloading again and installing an downloading again and again. I got first edition of nook color partition. So in my device info it says : B&n content storage: 268mb of 0.98gb is free Other content storage: 4,98gb of 5.00 gb is free. As i said i am living in Turkey so i can't go to B&N store. I need to make repartition by myself maybe but i don't know how to do that. What's your suggestion? Should i download 1.4.3 update again and copy to NC and let it make the update ? Or i should make repartition by myself? Or just wait the new update? Thank you for your help.
Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

You can make a reparitioning disk for yourself, and that is the best course if you don't hae a BN close by.

Dean Gibson write a set of scripts for this some time ago.  Dean's instructions for using them are at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1094371

The file you want to use is in section 1 C.

Good luck!

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Contributor
milik
0 Kudos

Thanks for your help roustabout and 5ivedom. I read that xda forums. There are many details to create a bootable clockwork sd card and make repartition. I read many different posts and i decided to give a try. I downloaded clockwork's last version and write it to sd card with winimage and also with win32diskwriter or something like that. Firstly it didnt see my sd card but i found solution and i run the winimage as administrator. But still my NC didnt start with sd. Whatever i do device didnt start with Clockworkmod. And i read in somewhere someone has written the disk with ubuntu. So i downloaded ubuntu and run it from CD and downloaded imagewriter on it. Yes it can download even when its working from cd. And i written the clockwork to sdcard. And finally nook color started with clockwork. But in clockwork there is no repartition install zip files cause it was a boot card so i didnt copy that files on it , it might have problems on start. Thats what i thought. And in some forum i read that someone has a theory that after clockwork starts eject the card and copy that repartition zip files and insert it back to nc and choose install from sd card option. It was a theory but there was none to try it, or at least any posts. So i did that, ejected the card and copy files and insert back and install from sd card and it has done. I restarted my nc and it has opened but a problem showed up that says "Nook color has encountrd a problem, a restart is needed. If this problem persists, please contact with customer support" . So i restarted it and it gave me same problem. And i made hard reset 8 times as someone suggested in a forum but it didnt work. And i plug it to my computer maybe thats how i can open the device but same problem has showen up. So i made hard deregistering (i dont know whats the name of process) i shutted the device and hold "n" button and power button at the same time and factory settings showed up and i deleted the device and register it again. So my NC registered and started without any problem. Firstly i looked to device info. And it shows : " Bn content storage 5,01 gb free of 5,09 gb . ; Data storage 0,790 gb free of 0.791 gb" It worked. Now i can download and install apps without problem. Anyway i wanted to share it. I hope explanation helps to other users.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Thanks for sharing. That certainly is an interesting way of arriving at a solution.

I'd be interested - does anyone know why the process wouldn't work to create the dual booting card? What step was missing?