Reply
New User
quilter66
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎11-27-2012
0 Kudos

Words with Friends Nook App Warning

Just wanted to warn Nook Color users to avoid purchasing Words with Friends from the Barnes & Noble web site because you will pay for it but not be able to use it.  Apparently it was pulled from the Nook Shop/apps site but not from the BN.com/Nook apps site.  The reason is that it crashed some systems so Zynga is looking into it but has no new release date.  A refund request is an option if you never want to install the app (i.e., you are locked out forever from downloading it if you get a refund).

It seems logical to me that the app should be pulled from BN.com/Nook apps to prevent others from being suckered.

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
Posts: 971
Registered: ‎11-18-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Words with Friends Nook App Warning


quilter66 wrote:

Just wanted to warn Nook Color users to avoid purchasing Words with Friends from the Barnes & Noble web site because you will pay for it but not be able to use it. 

 

Good to know

 

Apparently it was pulled from the Nook Shop/apps site but not from the BN.com/Nook apps site.

 

They pulled it from the device listing.  According to the site it shows as available for the HD/HD+ and Nook Color.  So it would only show up in the device shop for those models and has been "pulled" from being sold in the Shop on the NT.  Do you maybe have a NT instead of a NC?  If not then it really was not pulled from the NC Shop like  they said.

 

 

  The reason is that it crashed some systems so Zynga is looking into it but has no new release date.  A refund request is an option if you never want to install the app (i.e., you are locked out forever from downloading it if you get a refund).

 

"forever"  until you buy it again when it becomes available...

 

It seems logical to me that the app should be pulled from BN.com/Nook apps to prevent others from being suckered.

 

Or read the "Enjoy on the NOOK devices" listing before being "suckered"


 

I really am wondering what is going on in Zynga-land.  This last update has really upset people (landscape only, tiny playing field, ads on a paid app).  And now this too.   Weeee.

Inspired Correspondent
MusicmanGG
Posts: 324
Registered: ‎12-08-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Words with Friends Nook App Warning

I think Scrabble is a better app - but they have not made it available for the HD/HD+
Distinguished Wordsmith
Rignes
Posts: 223
Registered: ‎06-28-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Words with Friends Nook App Warning


Schwa wrote:
I really am wondering what is going on in Zynga-land.  This last update has really upset people (landscape only, tiny playing field, ads on a paid app).  And now this too.   Weeee.

 

Zynga has been having problems as a company as of late from what I've read.  A quick Google on "zynga financial trouble" brings up a number of articles.

 

Hopefully things will work again when / if they become profitable again.

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
Posts: 1,757
Registered: ‎09-10-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Words with Friends Nook App Warning


Rignes wrote:

Schwa wrote:
I really am wondering what is going on in Zynga-land.  This last update has really upset people (landscape only, tiny playing field, ads on a paid app).  And now this too.   Weeee.

 

Zynga has been having problems as a company as of late from what I've read.  A quick Google on "zynga financial trouble" brings up a number of articles.

 

Hopefully things will work again when / if they become profitable again.


Zyngas main revenue source is facebook games, which have been declining in popularity. Facebook may have peaked, the trend seems to be sites that are more specialized.

Contributor
Eros-Ashima
Posts: 145
Registered: ‎02-27-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Words with Friends Nook App Warning

Thanks for posting this, I had to delete my WWF app because my Nook Color was going crazy every time I tried to use it. Hope it hasn't messed up my Nook Color.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
Posts: 3,544
Registered: ‎12-03-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Words with Friends Nook App Warning

To add to what Rignes said.

 

Zynga stock price is down massively.

 

They had a bit of a symbiotic relationship with Facebook but Facebook double-crossed them (sort of) and so they lost a lot of the marketing advantage they had.

 

And they are having major financial problems.

 

Most of their upper management has left including CFO etc.

 

Their Games are not doing as well on Facebook in terms of Active Users and Daily Active Users.

 

Their market capitalization is almost down to cash in hand/book value.

 

*****

 

Their stock is down from a high of pver $14 to $2.61.

 

Here: http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=ZNGA+Interactive#symbol=znga;range=1y;compare=;indicator=volume;c...;

New User
quilter66
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎11-27-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Words with Friends Nook App Warning

I do have a Nook Color but did the purchase through the BN.com website on my Nook.  If I had gone through the Shop function, WWF would not have shown up.

 

And 'forever' was what I was told at the local store...even if I wanted to purchase it again, I couldn't.  Something to do with the Cloud.

 

I don't know where "Enjoy on the Nook Devices" information is.

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
Posts: 1,757
Registered: ‎09-10-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Words with Friends Nook App Warning

Forever? Do you mean without a new purchase? If you delete an app, not archive or save to the cloud, it is as if never purchased and a new copy must be bought. I doubt very much they can even tell once it has been deleted.
Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
Posts: 971
Registered: ‎11-18-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Words with Friends Nook App Warning

[ Edited ]

quilter66 wrote:

 

I don't know where "Enjoy on the Nook Devices" information is.


 

It's hidden in plain sight, right there in between the price and and "Buy Now" button.  All Nook web pages show the same info, and you did say you bought directly from the website.

 

Just pointing out that the info really is there.

New User
quilter66
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎11-27-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Words with Friends Nook App Warning

Oh, yeah, I saw that and it says it works on the Nook Color but it doesn't.

New User
quilter66
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎11-27-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Words with Friends Nook App Warning

Don't know - I'm just repeating what I was told.  Could've been that B&N just didn't want to deal with a $3.24 refund.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,552
Registered: ‎01-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Words with Friends Nook App Warning


quilter66 wrote:

Don't know - I'm just repeating what I was told.  Could've been that B&N just didn't want to deal with a $3.24 refund.


My personal experience is that B&N is not really set up to do refunds, and a lot of CS is not competent at doing them properly, so unless you really need the money back, it's not worth the effort.  The last time I asked for a refund the CS agent refunded the wrong item (and, of course, took away my access to it).

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
Posts: 1,757
Registered: ‎09-10-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Words with Friends Nook App Warning


keriflur wrote:

quilter66 wrote:

Don't know - I'm just repeating what I was told.  Could've been that B&N just didn't want to deal with a $3.24 refund.


My personal experience is that B&N is not really set up to do refunds, and a lot of CS is not competent at doing them properly, so unless you really need the money back, it's not worth the effort.  The last time I asked for a refund the CS agent refunded the wrong item (and, of course, took away my access to it).

 


Try using online chat to seek a refund, truly horrible.


 

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,552
Registered: ‎01-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Words with Friends Nook App Warning


patgolfneb wrote:

keriflur wrote:

quilter66 wrote:

Don't know - I'm just repeating what I was told.  Could've been that B&N just didn't want to deal with a $3.24 refund.


My personal experience is that B&N is not really set up to do refunds, and a lot of CS is not competent at doing them properly, so unless you really need the money back, it's not worth the effort.  The last time I asked for a refund the CS agent refunded the wrong item (and, of course, took away my access to it).

 


Try using online chat to seek a refund, truly horrible.


 


You'd think it would be straight-forward, especially over chat.  Here is my order number, and here is the name/ISBN of the product I want refunded, and here is what I paid for it.  What does it say about the quality of CS if they can't get THAT right?!?

 

yio
Contributor
yio
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎12-27-2011

Words with Friends update is now available

there is now  a fix for the Words With Friends issues on the Tablet.  Update your WWF.

yio
Contributor
yio
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎12-27-2011
0 Kudos

Words with Friends update is ONLY to fix the Tablet issues