Frequent Contributor
Lulugirl28

Words with Friends Question for Android

I bought the WWF app for my Nook Color and like it. I was just given a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 for Christmas but when I went to the Goole Play store and The Appstore for Amazon, the only version I could find was a free one with annoying ads. I downloaded it and signed in and it picked up where I was on my NC but I don't like the way it displays and the ads are a real pain.  Surely there is a paid version for Android?  Did I just miss the paid app?

Thanks!

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Re: Words with Friends Question for Android

Lulugirl, I haven't been able to find the paid version either.

I think companies sort of go with what works best in the app store.

So iPad/iPhone you'll see all three variants

- Paid

- Free with Ads

- Free with In-App Purchases.

Android seems to be very tailored towards Free with Ads. There are also lots of Free with In-App Purchases type apps.

Perhaps WWF company found that paid sales for its apps were so low that it wasn't worth the effort.

If I can find a paid version I'll let you know.

Also, I also dislike ads in apps too.

Frequent Contributor
Lulugirl28
0 Kudos

5ivedom,

Thanks! I was hoping I had just missed finding a paid version. I tried to contact Zynga but that didn't work out. I really like the NC paid version.  What is an In-App purchase?

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

You can turn off ads with an in-app purchase from Zynga if you want to remove ads on the version from the Google Play Store. Going by review comments, Zynga has turned on ads in the B&N version, so the "curated" B&N app store argument seems to be falling apart. I'm not sure whether you can make the in-app purchase on that version or not.

Frequent Contributor
Lulugirl28
0 Kudos

bobstro,

Thanks for this information. I just downloaded WWF to my Galaxy Note Tab two days ago and didn't see this offer available. I looked at the link you provided and it seems to be a little confusing and that people are having trouble with getting the ad-free version. Do I have to go to Zynga to get it? I didn't see it there two days ago but will look again. I paid $2.99 for it on my Nook and it was well worth it. I would gladly pay that again so that I don't have to go through an ordeal to try and get it. I have read that Zynga is having trouble.  If they just charge for the app I think quite a few people would buy it and that would help them, I think.

bobstro
0 Kudos

Are you getting ad in the version you bought in the NOOK app store? In another thread, some folks are complaining that they see ads in the version they paid for. I'm wondering if it has the same in-app purchase option, if so.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Lulugirl, Nook Store doesn't yet have in-app purchases.

It seems what happened is -

1) Zynga has a free app with ads for Android. That app also has an option to pay $3 within the app (via the standard Google Play or iPhone Store option) and get ads turned off.

You should be able to see this on the main page of WWF on your Galaxy Tablet.

2) In Nook Store, Zynga by mistake submitted the Android version with ads. Since Nook has no in-app purchase option, there is no way to turn ads off until Zynga submits a new version without ads.

bobstro
0 Kudos

Thankfully the curation process picked up on this right away before any customers were inconvenienced. Right?

Frequent Contributor
Lulugirl28
0 Kudos

bobstro,

I bought the WWF app one year ago from the Nook store for $2.99 and I don't have any ads with it. It works great. When I downloaded the WWF free app from Google Play, a couple of days ago, I didn't see anything about a paid version. I will go back tonight and try to see if I can find a way to purchase the ad- free version on Google Play. Hope so! I played one word on the free version and had to watch a video ad. Very annoying and I went back to playing on my NC.

bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

You won't find an ad-free version in Google Play. Open the game and go to the Zynga store in the game. There, you should be able to buy a "no ad" option for about $3.

Apparently, a recent update on the NOOK version has caused problems for some users with ads. If you haven't updated, yours might not be impacted. Don't update it!

Frequent Contributor
Lulugirl28
0 Kudos

Well, it wasn't easy but I finally found the way to update to the paid version. Although there aren't any annoying ad videos, there are still sidebars with information about other Zynga ads that they want you to purchase. The other thing I don't like is that after I play a word, there isn't a way to back up to the main screen so the board I just played stays there until I play a word with someone else. I have to do this by looking at the sidebarr to see who has played. On the sidebar it also shows some of my Facebook friends and keeps wanting me to start a game with them. The names don't always match the pictures either.

Guess I am spoiled with the Nook Color version. It filled the whole screen and after a play you can back up to the main page without having to exit the game. This ad-free Google version only fills up part of the screen and there are sidebars on both sides. It is a very cluttered screen. It is better than having ads but I am wondering why the NC version is so much better when it was the same price ($2.99).

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

That is an interesting point:

I am wondering why the NC version is so much better when it was the same price ($2.99).

Perhaps now that Zynga is in financial difficulties it is promoting its other apps more agressively.

bobstro
0 Kudos

So is the version now in the B&N app store back to being ad-free?