Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
0 Kudos

Your Opinions of Page-Turning Effects

This is an issue I have mixed feelings about.  Previously with the Nook Color firmware, you swiped your finger and the page immediately went to the next page, with no transition visual effect.  Many people have long praised the Nook for Android app, as well as other apps such as Alkido, etc., because you can have a realistic "page turning" visual effect when you're ready to proceed to the next page.  On the recent 1.2 upgrade on the Nook Color, they now allow you to have an animation, where one page scoots off the screen and the new one scoots onto the screen....similar to the Kindle for Android app.  Some people think that's good enough and others want that realistic page-turn animation.

Personally, I set up my Nook for Android app so that it has this realistic page-turning animation,and yeah, it's kind of fun.  But my question is this:  Is it really necessary?  Do you think there's an argument to be made that an animation is a relic of the past and actually hinders the reading experience?  After all, wouldnt reading go faster if you just kept reading, without waiting for the animation to finish?

What do you think?  Is the page-turning animation good and helpful for the reading experience?  Is the "side-to-side" scoot on the stock reader good?  Or should we just move on, give up the antiquated "page turns" and just let the software give us the next page immediately on the screen? 

Inspired Contributor
Charles-R

Re: Your Opinions of Page-Turning Effects

For me, I like to see some kind of animated visual feedback when I pageturn (is that a word now?).  If nothing else, it makes it more obvious when I've turned a page by mistake.

I'm happy with the slide-to-the-side effect on the NC; it feels intuitive enough, since I'm physically swiping my finger across in the same direction to do it, which is nothing like what I do to physically turn a page on a book. 

I've never tried a device with "realistic page turns", so perhaps I don't know what I'm missing.

Distinguished Correspondent
TNTLamb

Well for me its a non issue..... I just want to get to the next page of what I'm reading (if I don't I quit reading it:smileyhappy:....) How I get there is less important than what I'm reading.

There are 293 ways to make changes for a dollar.... No wonder we see things differently
Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

I think realistic page turn effect is as necessary as a thread on the topic!

:smileytongue:

Does it slow down the reading process? Yep, .28 seconds per page. For a 800 page novel, that's what, like 220 extra seconds or something close to that? 3 minutes and forty seconds is alot of time to add on to the rest of the week. Let's also consider the extra charge time. It varys from person to person, but I estimate for myself that I can get through 800 pages in roughly 20 hours, or three charges. According to my math(not reliable, but I did use a calculator...) one out of every 327.2727 charges is devoted solely to animated page turn if all you do is read epub.

My official opinion is that it is great that we can turn it off if we wish, but it sure beats the refresh flash of eInk.

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek

I use the page turn effect with Aldiko on my smartphone but I ended up turning it off on my NC.  I don't like the side-to-side effect, I'd just rather get on with my reading.  The page turn animation on Aldiko is cute and makes it feel more like a book but ... I just want to read.  :smileyvery-happy:

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed
Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

I guess it's personal preference, which is why I'm glad I can turn it off.  I prefer the seamless non-effect page change.  To me, it allows the reading to flow and keeps me immersed in the book. 

Bibliophile
Schwa
0 Kudos

I like the slide-to-the-side motion since v1.2 as it gives a visual queue to the page turn that the inital "blinking" did not.  I can see why some people may like the "showy" effects of a full page turn animation, but I don't personally need to see that as I'm engrossed with the words on the page anyways  :smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
JinSC
0 Kudos

I use the page animation in the 1.2 stock OS.  I like it because sometimes at night when I'm reading in bed I inadvertently swipe in the wrong direction and this helps me see that instantly.  The old "flash" to the next page wasn't appealing.  I've seen the animated page turn in the app, and it's ok, but i like the stock because it seems quicker.  Do not like the eink refresher flash at all. 

Jeremy

Correspondent
SkipperT
0 Kudos

I had to give up the animated page turns when it started working backwards.  Turned it off, and now a tap on the right edge always takes me forward. (NC 1.2)

A man who doesn't read has no advantage over one who can't read. - Mark Twain (paraphrased)
Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

My take is that it is unnecessary.  This kind of stuff should be part of an add-on package like those that car manufacturers offer, e.g. a package that includes three or more "cheesecake" options like a high-end stereo, ground effects, a sun roof.  Make the people who want this pay for it and and bog down their systems, and let those who do not have a vanilla, less complicated, and faster one.

Inspired Contributor
JedStarkiller
0 Kudos

When I first got my NC I thought it needed something becuase I was just getting used to it.   After downloading the update I dont mind the effect but it would have been cool to have a real page turning effect like the android version.  (Which I jut recently got)   All in all its not bad.   Not 100 percent nessecarry but if you dont like it you can alway turn it off.

From the mind of me....

New Tech Support Forum - http://community.jvgeek.com
Frequent Contributor
stolenmoment
0 Kudos

I'm using the "sliding" effect, but I'd really rather just scroll down like a webpage.  When reading web pages, I tend to keep what I'm looking at in the top half of the screen (I don't know why), and rigid page boundaries (that nevertheless move when you change options) bug me.

Similarly, a bookmark should mark the first word on the page, and going to a bookmark should present that word on the first line of the page, even if you've changed fonts, spacing, or margins in the meantime.

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25

Ok, time for me to answer my own question:  

I prefer that there be some kind of transition-animation, and I'm really keen on the actual page-turn effect like the Nook Android app has.  Yes, I understand that this seems like we're just trying to make a new form of media have the illusion of being the old-fashioned kind.  But here's why I like this animation anyway:  1) As someone said, with an electronic device, it does serve as a visual clue when you accidentally turn pages the wrong way or turn too many pages.  2) I find it actually gives the eyes a momentary rest, whereas instantaneous text does not and becomes more tiresome more quickly.  3) But mostly, it's because I just enjoy the experience.  It's kind of like when you put together a slide show.  Sure, all the content is there if you just immediately go to the next slide...but there's an enjoyable experience when you include some special effects.  Reading, to me, involves many experiences combined into one.  Some people, for instance, like reading to the sound of rain outside.  Is it necessary to understand the book?  Obviously not.  But reading, as I said, involves many enjoyed experiences rolled into one....and that extra pizzazz of a page-turning effect adds to the enjoyment. And that's all that matters.

Inspired Wordsmith
sandie52
0 Kudos

For me the visual page flipping would be a big no. I don't like it on flyers on web pages and wouldn't like it on the nook either.

I do like the slide effect from the update - it does give you a better sense of accidently flpping 10 pages or something, but don't usually use it. I just tap and go to the next page.

Inspired Correspondent
RodneyJT
0 Kudos

For me some type of visual cue is a big help. When you're looking at a page with nothing but text in a static format there needs to be some type of transition so your eyes can quickly 'rescan' the page. It almost like having no transition the text feels like it merges or bleeds through for a moment from one page to the next. Blinking while turning the page helps.

The curled page turn effect is nice but the speed and manual involvement (feeling like you have to do a full controled swipe to turn the page) can be time consuming during long periods. A quick tap with the page sliding seams to be a trade off. Your eyes get a nice refreshing transition and a visual cue to see the text has changed and in which direction.

Frequent Contributor
justsayyes
0 Kudos

I like them.  The page flipping animations are slow and useless although fun for the first 10 pages, after which I wanted to turn them off when I tried them on some tablet a while back. While the simple slide is very spartan, it's also exactly sufficient to tell users that they have turned the page.

Wordsmith
Droiddict

richardwrite25 wrote:

..... Reading, to me, involves many experiences combined into one.  Some people, for instance, like reading to the sound of rain outside.  Is it necessary to understand the book?  Obviously not.  But reading, as I said, involves many enjoyed experiences rolled into one....and that extra pizzazz of a page-turning effect adds to the enjoyment. And that's all that matters.

I think you have hit on why I use the Nook more than my iPad.  I just like it more!  It's obviously not the page turn for me as I can get that on the iPad.  I like the Nook because I have more control over what it does.  I've been able to play around with the OS and move things to just where _I_ want them to be.  I've spent a lot of time in B&N stores over the years and more recently when I bought the device.  My Mom has one and she enjoys using it and talking about what books we will read. All of my experiences influence my enjoyment of reading on the device.  Oh, and I do like page curling turns...

Correspondent
Ryan_
0 Kudos

It is a nice effect, but it isn't needed. I do have an iPad and have used the books functionality there with the page turns. If I'm just being silly and lightly reading, it is fun to play with. But when I'm totally into a book, the pages can't turn fast enough. So it all depends on my mood.

Developer at Toy Studio - Developer of Nook Apps
=========================================
Wordsmith
mariel9898

It's a battery waster that's not needed.

Inspired Correspondent
Viktornka
0 Kudos

I apologize if I failed to understand your comments, above.

Is there a way I can get some page-turning effect in my unrooted NookColor?