Frequent Contributor
P38Lightning
0 Kudos

Zinio App Will Not Connect

I have the following issue with my N2A powered Nook HD+. I have been using the N2A card exclusively for several months with almost flawless performance. However, I have recently run into the following issue with a successfully d/l and installed Zinio for Android app: "Failed to connect to the server. Please move to an area with a stronger wireless signal and try again."

This happens no matter what my location is! I have a very solid, strong, and fast connection with all of my other apps.

Zinio says that it is because I am using a Nook (even though configured as an Android tablet) the app will not work and is not supported on that device.

Since everything else works just fine, what is the connection only issue?

Thanks in advance.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Re: Zinio App Will Not Connect

Did you check with Zinio if they specifically have some check that disables the app for rooted Nooks?

Frequent Contributor
P38Lightning
0 Kudos

It is not rooted  when using the N2A sd card approach.

Here is the tech ass't manager's reply after I had several back and forths with a level one tech at Zinio:

"I apologize for any  inconvenience. Zinio will not work properly on a Nook
device. If you are able to install the app, you will receive an error message
regarding not being able to connect to the internet -- this is normal behavior.
This is not something that we can resolve because Nook will not allow Zinio to
be used on their devices. There is no workaround that will fix this issue."

I had repeatedly explained to them in increasing detail that I was not using the BN software and that this issue was not displayed by any other app!

Thier app d/l without any warning of conflict. It installed properly. It even starts up and displays its structure with no problem except for the all important failure to connect.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

I suspect it's because they are worried about people using it without authorization.

So it's not meant to block you. It's meant to block people who use Zinio without having a membership.

Perhaps you should ask on the various threads about sideloaded cards and at xdaforums whether Zinio works or not on rooted Nooks and whether or not it works on sideloaded cards. That'll give you a better reason for why stuff isn't working.

Frequent Contributor
P38Lightning
0 Kudos

Oddly enough, I had it (Zinio) working on my original NC after I finally did a total internal conversion from the BN to Android software! 7 inch screens for magazines left much to be desired.
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Just wondering.  Do you have the latest version of Zinio? Looks like it was released on GP on 4/8.  At the very bottom of the ovrrview page, Z has a statement about not supporting device configirations resulting from rooting devices. Do you think they could have implemented something where they could tell if the app was running from an sd card? Rather than from internal memory?

Frequent Contributor
P38Lightning

"Do you think they could have implemented something where they could tell if the app was running from an sd card? Rather than from internal memory?"

Yes, during my several repetitive explanations they mentioned not supporting rooted tablets and I had to explain that using the N2A card did not root the HD+. There was clearly something else going on.

Turns out that the old NC trick of changing its manufacture and tablet identity allow Zinio to work.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

P38Lightning wrote:

{snip}

Turns out that the old NC trick of changing its manufacture and tablet identity allow Zinio to work.

Good for you!

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Rooted = having access to the root or super-user account of the operating system.

Rooted does not mean changing anything on the original O/S

If you are running a version of access where you can get root privileges then you are running a rooted tablet. It does not matter whether you are running off the internal storage or an external SD card.

I believe (I don't own one) that the N2A card as shipped is in a rooted state.

Frequent Contributor
P38Lightning
0 Kudos

Thanks for the clarification as I was always under the impression that "rooted" referred directly to altering the internal memory/OS to some degree. Running off of an sd card leaves the internal setup intact..
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

The app works fine now with the new update. Yoy'll have to uninstall and then install it again. Mine works great though.

Frequent Contributor
P38Lightning
0 Kudos

Thanks for the update.

Have you or anyone else tried HBOGo and/or Kindle?

If this new update plays out as it looks it might, then living with 4.0.4 (instead of 4.1) and functional GP access might not be such a bad deal!

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

Kindle installed and is working okay so far.

Frequent Contributor
P38Lightning
0 Kudos

So does HBOGo and Zinio!