Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

anyone else notice the sign in at the website is fixed?

For YEARS now, I could not have my computer "remember" my password to sign in...and then lately, it always wanted to put my password in front of my email address. That was very frustrating.

But now...finally, someone has their $%!+ together and got that fixed. Oh dear! Does this mean someone learned how to write code? Will they fix other things? The wishlists? Maybe sync to our devices? can we get that person to write code for our devices and fix the problems with the HD devices? Shall we start a petition?

I know, I'm being a smart A$$ but it's sad when you notice something WORKS! But I'm hoping they keep it up!

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

Re: anyone else notice the sign in at the website is fixed?

compulsivereaderTX wrote:

For YEARS now, I could not have my computer "remember" my password to sign in...and then lately, it always wanted to put my password in front of my email address. That was very frustrating.

But now...finally, someone has their $%!+ together and got that fixed. Oh dear! Does this mean someone learned how to write code? Will they fix other things? The wishlists? Maybe sync to our devices? can we get that person to write code for our devices and fix the problems with the HD devices? Shall we start a petition?

I know, I'm being a smart A$$ but it's sad when you notice something WORKS! But I'm hoping they keep it up!

Umm ... usually, your login information for any Web site is kept by your browser in a "cookie" stored on your local computer.  If you have your browser settings configured to delete all cookies and temporary Internet files on exit, then there is no way that the passwords will be automatically available at login unless you use a password manager.  It seems that you can have convenience or security, but not both unless you jump through some hoops. 

What kind of computer are you using, with which OS and which browser?

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

:smileyhappy:

I noticed that too. Good catch.

Yeah, my favorite was where it would switch the cursor to email field after finishing loading - even if password was half typed already.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

deesy58 wrote:

compulsivereaderTX wrote:

Umm ... usually, your login information for any Web site is kept by your browser in a "cookie" stored on your local computer.  If you have your browser settings configured to delete all cookies and temporary Internet files on exit, then there is no way that the passwords will be automatically available at login unless you use a password manager.  It seems that you can have convenience or security, but not both unless you jump through some hoops. 

What kind of computer are you using, with which OS and which browser?

naw...wasn't my pc or browser...always works everywhere but here. :smileyhappy: Till now. And I see 5ivedom noticed it too. :smileyhappy:

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

:smileyhappy:

I noticed that too. Good catch.

Yeah, my favorite was where it would switch the cursor to email field after finishing loading - even if password was half typed already.

It drove me CRAZY when it did that.

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,312
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Whether the password is stored, can also be dependent on the Javascript in the web page.  On my browsers (Firefox and IE), logging in on certain (financially) sensitive web sites will not store the password, no matter what I do.

On my Verizon FiOS router, the Javascript for the web login page generates several bogus characters (the number of characters seems to vary randomly) for each password character typed.  If the browser attempts to store the password, it ends up storing junk.  Annoying but effective.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

DeanGibson wrote:

Whether the password is stored, can also be dependent on the Javascript in the web page.  On my browsers (Firefox and IE), logging in on certain (financially) sensitive web sites will not store the password, no matter what I do.

On my Verizon FiOS router, the Javascript for the web login page generates several bogus characters (the number of characters seems to vary randomly) for each password character typed.  If the browser attempts to store the password, it ends up storing junk.  Annoying but effective.

I can understand that. It doesn't make sense here though if we stay signed in for 24 hours once we sign in without having to do it again. I can also see if that it would require a new sign in to get into the account areas. Even so, it doesn't require a new one each time you buy a book. So there's no point in requiring it to not save a password here. (except of course for the account areas).

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Never had the issue here from B&N, using Firefox.

I've been logged in for every, and I stay logged in.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

I use Firefox too...I never had another site switch the field I was typing in to another one halfway through my typing. :smileyhappy: Or you start with the cursor in one field but your typing shows up in another one. It was so bizarre, I couldn't help but notice it. :smileyhappy:

Glad to see they fixed it.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I never experienced this issue using firefox on my Linux desktop, or safari on my macbook,

Was this a browser specific issue?

ETA: Also never occured on my iPad running safari.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

I never had the issue of having to repeatedly sign in for the discussion blogs on either my Windows 7 pc or on on Windows Xp. I also always remain signed in on the HD and NT.

I do have to enter my password though if I want to access "My Account"

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

uh..it's fixed now...hehehe...that's what I said from the start and I'm sticking to it. :smileyhappy: