Frequent Contributor
kos-mos
0 Kudos

broken screen

on the STG is it possible to replace screen, I looked but haven't found anything on google.If so how and were can i find parts?

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

Re: broken screen

For a Glowlight?

No, replacement parts aren't available (for any of the Nooks) and the unit is not designed to be opened up (except the old NE1 battery).

Sadly this in another one of those "throw it away when it's broken" electronics.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

B&N doesn't offer repairs outside of warranty?

Contributor
Teufel75
0 Kudos

No, BN does not offer repairs at all.  If you were under warranty, they would replace it with either a new or a refurb model (depending on how long you had it).  However, BN customer service is now offering pretty good deals on purchasing a replacement model if your unit is broken and out of warranty.  I had a customer the other day with a broken N1 and she was given the option of buying- a refurb NST for $30, a new NST for $50, a refurb NC for $80, or a new NC for $100.  I know that it meant spending more money but she was getting a pretty good deal to replace a N1 that she'd had since it was released.  The funny part is that she only got upset when she was told that she would have to send the old broken N1 back.  I thought that she was going to cry.  She did mention wanting to give it a proper burial

bobstro
0 Kudos

The following on a repair site sums it up pretty well: "Important! If you need a hardware repair (example: cracked screen) for Nook: as the cost of parts+labor would exceed its value, we no longer service Nook hardware worth $250 or less. We do perform software repairs (example: unbrick/unlock/upgrade/reset) and data recovery."

New User
Cahnel
0 Kudos

So I can call, Monday and (probably) get a replacement for a lower price? Is that the same for those who did not have insurance (warranty)?

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Cahnel wrote:

So I can call, Monday and (probably) get a replacement for a lower price? Is that the same for those who did not have insurance (warranty)?

If you are under warranty for a device they have refurbs in you will get a refurb.  If they do not have refurbished devices in you will likely get a new one of that device. 

If you are out of warranty you will get the option to buy a few different Nooks based on the one you have.  I believe it goes something like refurburished version of the device you have, new device you have, nook one model up from the device you have.

So if you had a NSTG and you were out of warranty you'd have the option of a refurbished NSTG, a new NSTG, or maybe a Nook Color.  At some sort of discount. 

I would suggest going with the NSTG of either flavor in that case. 

Note, I'm not able to say that is 100% what you'd be offered.  It's a guess based on my experience calling store support for people with broken Nooks.  Things do change even from day to day as the stock of devices changes. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.